Conceal carry permit

This is a discussion on Conceal carry permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello every one. I just finished my conceal carry class (Utah), and have a question. When I was younger I got in some trouble (like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Conceal carry permit

Conceal carry permit

Hello every one.

I just finished my conceal carry class (Utah), and have a question. When I was younger I got in some trouble (like most "kids" but nothing to bad)

1) My buddy brought over some beer (I was under age) and got a ticket for under age consumption.
    2) I got caught steeling from a store
    3) I got a ticket for brandishing a weapon (my buddy was shooting things with a "BB gun" from my truck, the only time I toughed the weapon was to put it away when we entered the city)

All of this happened when I was "young" 17-19, then at 20 I enlisted in to the Utah Army National Guard, and straightened up. I not worried about them denying me, but I need to write a letter explaining these 3 citations I got. I need some advice on what to say/ write.

2. Remove Ads

Use spell check before you send it.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Get an attorney and an English/Spelling coordinator...17-19 is not exactly what I would call 'young'.
    You are defined by the cops as a "keeper" at 18...some of those charges could cause you problems.OMOYMV
    Toorop likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Josh,

You need someone to run your background to see what's in it, if anything is found, then as suggested, you will need legal council.

Good luck!
    Toorop likes this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Just disclose the past offenses as opposed to covering them up because the UT invistigators will uncover, and, in that event, deny you for certain. The wording of the UT CCW application, "attach documentation explaining your answer", is more to the point of specifying why you have to answer "yes" to criminal background questions than inviting you to try to convince the state that you are a good citizen. But if you feel so compelled, then include your experience with the penalties of each violation and what you learned and anything personal, over and above that came out of your brushes with the law. Obviously, your NG service is a step up.
    Only my opinion, your mileage may vary.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    Use spell check before you send it.
    Uncool.

To the OP:

I would suggest being honest about every count when applying and also seeking the advice of an attorney in your state that is familiar with this issue. Good Luck!

Wow, a post that's worse than mine.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Tell the truth above all because if you attempt to fib even just a little will be all the reason they need for denial. Write your letter on a computer with spell check active as mentioned. That's not a slam but based on how you worded this post it is certainly worth pointing out. Lastly, find new buddies because the ones you have or had seem to be dragging you down. After you get your letter all finished be sure to have a couple of people proof read it for spelling and grammar checks before you submit it.

I have a nephew who tried to slip one by and conveniently neglected to mention a run in with the authorities. They found it and denied his application for being untruthful.

Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    Uncool.

To the OP:

I would suggest being honest about every count when applying and also seeking the advice of an attorney in your state that is familiar with this issue. Good Luck!
    I don't find that uncool, it is a helpful suggestion to the OP... if he is going to send a letter explaining his past, he should use spell check...
    Okemo likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Resumes and letters explaining your misdeeds should be thoughtfully written and if possible reviewed by a good speller. You need someone who has a mind like a steal tarp :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Okemo and RETSUPT99 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I don't find that uncool, it is a helpful suggestion to the OP... if he is going to send a letter explaining his past, he should use spell check...
    Only pointing out spelling and grammar errors without any other suggestions of assistance with the actual question was the issue.

Your location indicates UTAH, here is the Utah procedure for "Obtain a Copy of Your Own Criminal History Record".

Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    Only pointing out spelling and grammar errors without any other suggestions of assistance with the actual question was the issue.
    We're all helpful in our own ways.

If it has been more than five years pay a lawyer get it sealed or expunged, then it never happened no problem.
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    If it has been more than five years pay a lawyer get it sealed or expunged, then it never happened no problem.
    The only thing an expungement is good for is employment and things of a non judicial nature,running a criminal background check will show an arrest.I know I notified the DPS I had 2 misdemeanors that were expunged,they sent me a letter saying they had found the charges I was arrested for,I needed to provide them with certified copies of the original charges and disposition of the criminal case.It delayed getting my permit issued about an extra 4 months beyond what is normal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links