How to handle this

How to handle this

This is a discussion on How to handle this within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two people carrying a concealed weapon who do not know each other. Today people who carry concealed weapons legally are increasing in numbers so the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: How to handle this

How to handle this

Two people carrying a concealed weapon who do not know each other. Today people who carry concealed weapons legally are increasing in numbers so the chances of two people carrying concealed are increasing being in the same place when one of you might be in a bad situation being harassed or beginning assaulted. So what would you do if you were witnessing a assault that was starting to happen. You see a man and his family and there are one or two or more bad people threatening them and you see a weapon ? How to handle this should you stay back and watch as a witness call 911. If you try to help that family the father might think you are part of that group assaulting him so he might shoot at you as well. (((It would be hard not to try and help that person out))).Possibly yelling out loud commands to stop the bad situation might make the father think you are there to help and not part of that gang of people. You may not even know that he the father is carrying if you are behind him so if you see something that justifies you to present your weapon and he turns around to see you now you just became a threat to him. Something to think about

Interesting scenario, I am going to venture to say that just by yelling, "HEY! WHAT'S GOING ON OVER THERE!? BREAK IT UP OR I WILL CALL THE POLICE!" might help in two ways:

1. To deter the would be attackers and hopefully make them rethink their intentions
    2. To let the defending party know you are not with the crowd

The defender might even ask you to call the police... From that point it will be easier to side with the defender and back him up.

Just my 0.02
    W9HDG likes this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Is the "bad guy" with the gun really a bad guy or are they undercover law enforcement officers attempting to make an arrest for an offense you know nothing about? You may not be able to see the complete picture so my advice would be to call 911 and be a good witness. Now if the weapon is drawn and it appears that it may be used your best judgement comes into play. Choose wisely.

Stay out of it, be a good witness and call 911 if necessary. You're not LEO and don't act like you are. Your gun is to protect you and your family not the world.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Stay out of it, be a good witness and call 911 if necessary. You're not LEO and don't act like you are. Your gun is to protect you and your family not the world.
    Interesting...
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    I don't understand why so many people think that carrying a gun puts them in a position (or imposes upon them a responsibility) to come to the aid of others. I have said this before - why would it make any difference if you did not have a gun?

If the answer is "Well, I have a gun, so it's much more likely I can make a difference" then I question why you are carrying at all. Seems to me that you should not do things that you would not do without a gun.

Engaging in a gunfight is a good way to get yourself killed. Dunno why so many people ponder whether they would "break leather" and let the lead fly when the purpose of carrying is defensive. Kind of turns the logic on its head.

Florida self defense law says you are justified if...

"If you see someone who is being attacked, you can use deadly force to defend him/her if the circumstances would justify that person's use of deadly force in his/her own defense. In other words, you "stand in the shoes" of the person being attacked."
    So in certain circumstances I would try to prevent someone from being killed if I feared for their life. However, it would have to be a life threatening situation. I would not try to act as a policeman and break up a robbery or lower level crime. At that point I would become the witness.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I don't understand why so many people think that carrying a gun puts them in a position (or imposes upon them a responsibility) to come to the aid of others. I have said this before - why would it make any difference if you did not have a gun?

If the answer is "Well, I have a gun, so it's much more likely I can make a difference" then I question why you are carrying at all. Seems to me that you should not do things that you would not do without a gun.

Engaging in a gunfight is a good way to get yourself killed. Dunno why so many people ponder whether they would "break leather" and let the lead fly when the purpose of carrying is defensive. Kind of turns the logic on its head.
    Actually, I would help someone even if unarmed with a deadly weapon... But that's just me... I could not with a clear conscious just be a witness to something like that...

The good book says:

"do not withhold good from those to whom is due, when it is in your power to do it" ~ Proverbs 3:27
    "let each of you not look to his own interests, but also to the interest of others." ~ Philippians 2:4

And my favorite:

But if one of you has the world of goods [the means] and sees a brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?" ~ 1 John 3:17
    tkruf, Honk and seskers like this.

-James Earl Jones

being in wisconsin the laws are strange, I would want to help but according to wisconsin law, the person that holds ccw and pulls out his gun has to be in imminent danger. so i agree with the other poster we are not the LEO and should not try to play hero.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    1911 & rammer and somewhere in between cause each situation will be different
    so observation, strong, careful observation
    proceeds action....verbal or physical

i want to be useful to a GG who is having to be defensve but i must be sure that
    he knows i am a GG and that he actually wants anyones help.

not easy, especially as events tend to unfold faster the longer they last till
    suddenly its over.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

but however i do agree with kimber and i know i couldnt jusy stand there and watch someones life be put into jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by sigmk25 View Post
    being in wisconsin the laws are strange, I would want to help but according to wisconsin law, the person that holds ccw and pulls out his gun has to be in imminent danger. so i agree with the other poster we are not the LEO and should not try to play hero.
    You don't have to draw your weapon to help someone... And this is not acting as a LEO or playing a hero... It's helping a person in need
    sigmk25 likes this.

-James Earl Jones

Ask yourself... If your brother, sister, parent, spouse or someone special to you was in this situation, would you want someone to help them or for that person to just watch and call the police... If you found out that that person was in a position of being able to helps and they did not.. How would you feel?
    hammer2213, 82d DIVARTY and tkruf like this.

-James Earl Jones

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    1911_kimber love the bible quotes.. I would have to help too but not until I know the entire situation and hopefully called law enforcement
    W9HDG likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

-James Earl Jones

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links