NYS pistol permit advice

NYS pistol permit advice

This is a discussion on NYS pistol permit advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I live in Monroe county,ny and I'm in the process of filling out my pistol permit application. I have a clean record , ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: NYS pistol permit advice

NYS pistol permit advice

Hi everyone, I live in Monroe county,ny and I'm in the process of filling out my pistol permit application. I have a clean record , never been arrested or any trouble with the law, but I did admit myself to an outpatient drug rehab program almost 3 years ago, not court ordered, and have been clean ever since. Is this something they could find out if I don't mention it? And if I do mention it on the application will it hurt my chances of getting a permit?

Consult a lawyer. They can guide you in the right direction.

While I do not reside in New York my take on your question is do they ask for that information on the application.

In Wisconsin they ask the following:
    Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your question. Disclosing would depend on how the question is worded. Some states ask and specifically exempt voluntary admissions. In a case like that, disclosing is not required and shouldn't have an effect if discovered. If asked in a way that takes in both voluntary and involuntary admissions, to answer untruthfully is going to be considered falsifying the document and will almost assuredly get you declined, if not arrested for making false statements.

Your best bet is going to be talk with a lawyer who deals with these kind of issues.
    oneshot likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm not a NYS resident, but just took a look at the application on Monroe Co's website and one of the questions it asks is

"Have you ever undergone treatment for Alcoholism or Drug use?"

Doesn't ask whether you were ordered to or not, if you paid cash or not at all, they MAY never find out, but who knows. Either way it's perjury if you say no. If you weren't in NY you'd probably be fine.....BUT you are in NY where squeaky clean people get refused there constitutional rights because the sky was blue on a Tuesday. If you never plan on moving out of the state, the worst that can happen is they say no. But if you MAY move out, don't apply. Because if yo DO get refused, you'll have to list that on every app for ever.

VIP Member
    How much do you like living there?
    I'd vamoosh, for greener pastures.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Thanks for the input and advice it's much appreciated , I think I'm leaning toward just telling the truth and whatever happens I'll just have to deal it. I just hope I don't get declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcapo View Post
    Thanks for the input and advice it's much appreciated , I think I'm leaning toward just telling the truth and whatever happens I'll just have to deal it. I just hope I don't get declined.

It's really the only way....telling the truth! Just answer the questions honestly and truthfully. Depending on your references and how well they know you, the information may be "uncovered" anyway. The MCSO does a pretty thorough back ground investigation on all potential applicants.

If you lie and they find out, you will never get the license.

If you tell the truth and they deny you a license, you can always appeal.

Tell the truth.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

NY does a "mental hygiene" check on everyone applying for a pistol permit so they will find out. Might as well tell the truth .

Similar situation

Quote Originally Posted by Tcapo View Post
    Hi everyone, I live in Monroe county,ny and I'm in the process of filling out my pistol permit application. I have a clean record , never been arrested or any trouble with the law, but I did admit myself to an outpatient drug rehab program almost 3 years ago, not court ordered, and have been clean ever since. Is this something they could find out if I don't mention it? And if I do mention it on the application will it hurt my chances of getting a permit?
    Hello, I turned my app on March 29th 2012, still have not received my CCW yet have you?? Been told by clerk that its on the judges desk well over 2 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you lie and they find out, you will never get the license.

If you tell the truth and they deny you a license, you can always appeal.

Tell the truth.
    ^^^^^ I go for this one ^^^^^

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

NMB
    Welcome!

My only advice is to always tell the truth.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Welcome :) check out NYFirearms.com if you aren't already there. Good luck with the permit.

Sponsored Links