Milwaukee, WI Police cheif flynn Changes reguarding CCW

This is a discussion on Milwaukee, WI Police cheif flynn Changes reguarding CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Police cheif flynn wants to implement changes to CCW laws and gun laws. And for a guy that opposed CCW, I respect him for these ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bullet1234
  • 2 Post By Elk Hunter

Thread: Milwaukee, WI Police cheif flynn Changes reguarding CCW

Police cheif flynn wants to implement changes to CCW laws and gun laws. And for a guy that opposed CCW, I respect him for these changes that he wants to implement.

1.) Make a straw purchases a Felony at state level. (I agree)
    2.) 3 or more misdeamors in 5 years, loss or unable to attain CCW permit. (I kind of agree)
    3.) Make it a felony, if caught more than three times carrying concealed without having a permit. (Meaning if you never applied for a CCPL and you get caught carring concealed 3+ times its a felony. I AGREE)

Love to hear your opinions... heres the link

Milwaukee police want concealed carry restrictions - WTAQ News Talk 97.5FM and 1360AM

-Jerp
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I'm at odds on this. Flynn wants to prevent "career criminals" who have had charges pleaded down prevented from obtaining permits. While this is a legitimate argument and one worth exploration I disagree on how he arrived at his conclusion. The justice system failed and allowed the plea deal to reduce the charges. I place no blame on the cops! I blame the prosecutors office and defense lawyers. For far to long anyone with half a brain knows this has been a problem. Using Flynn's logic he would make no distinction between someone who may have been at a political rally or someone who refuses to clean up their dog's mess in the park with that of a junkie or stalker or worse. As far as the career criminal wanting a permit is a stretch! sorta putting the cart before the horse. The whole purpose for CC is to protect oneself from the career criminal and those who partake in lawlessness. I think Flynn is onto something which must be addressed! Our shameful judicial system has to be tightened up! of course the ACLU, NAACP & NAAWP will be up in arms if god forbid we start enforcing sentences that actually fit the crime. If you want to start fixing the broken machine start with the Judges and FORCE them to adhere to the LETTER OF THE LAW.

Please,,,,, give us a break ,,,,, we already have enough laws,,,,
    DO NOT NEED MORE.
    jim5513 and sgb like this.

Somehow I am not surprised

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Why do I have to get a permit to exercise my right under the Constitution? Do ya really think that a guy caught three times without a permit is going to change his mind because of a law.
    Adameeski and sgb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Why do I have to get a permit to exercise my right under the Constitution? Do ya really think that a guy caught three times without a permit is going to change his mind because of a law.
    Exactly, precisely, correct!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    I'm at odds on this. Flynn wants to prevent "career criminals" who have had charges pleaded down prevented from obtaining permits. While this is a legitimate argument and one worth exploration I disagree on how he arrived at his conclusion. The justice system failed and allowed the plea deal to reduce the charges. I place no blame on the cops! I blame the prosecutors office and defense lawyers. For far to long anyone with half a brain knows this has been a problem. Using Flynn's logic he would make no distinction between someone who may have been at a political rally or someone who refuses to clean up their dog's mess in the park with that of a junkie or stalker or worse. As far as the career criminal wanting a permit is a stretch! sorta putting the cart before the horse. The whole purpose for CC is to protect oneself from the career criminal and those who partake in lawlessness. I think Flynn is onto something which must be addressed! Our shameful judicial system has to be tightened up! of course the ACLU, NAACP & NAAWP will be up in arms if god forbid we start enforcing sentences that actually fit the crime. If you want to start fixing the broken machine start with the Judges and FORCE them to adhere to the LETTER OF THE LAW.
    I agree and from what i have heard he is trying to direct this towards the DA, not just to "clean up" the streets, but to straighten out the fact that the DA takes plea bargins to administer misdeamenors when being tried for a felony. What i see is PC Flynn trying to get a grip on the "gang bangers on Milwaukee's North side. They (and others) are packing and when they get caught, get a misdeamoner time after time. do alittle time and they are out, now they might still pack heat, and after the third time, boom they get a felony. Then after that repeat felons, more time in the prision and off the street. I am ok with this as it is one less person who i might have to defend myself against, god forbid. And he is doing that with the CCW'ers rights in mind. He is trying to get the guns out of criminals hands without bothering the law abiding citizens. Now i do agree some things need minor clarification, however i believe as a concealed carrying citizen we should hold ourselves to a higher standard than others, we shouldnt get misdemeanors, or felonies, we should use our SA to stay out of trouble. Keep our cools and be the and set the example, of how society should be. So with this, why am i worried about the changes that flynn wants to make?

And that is my $.02, just throwing that out there, and not at anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    As stated above, no he probably won't change his mind, but each time he gets caught he does more time, therefore off the streets, one less i am worried about having to defend myself against, should anything happen.

As for the constitutional right. Is it not the right of an American man to drive a vehicle? But yet they say its a privilege which i see it both ways, a free man should not have to worrie about a drivers liscense, but they say it can be taken away. Samething for carrying a firearm. Its a constitutional right, but think about it, we have drivers liscense to show we know how to drive, i see the samething with a permit to carry, we went through trainning on some laws, and how/when to use it (weapon) for defense. Another thing is voting is it not our civic duty to vote? Our right? But yet a convicted felony cannot vote. So i ask would you rather not have a permit and run more of a risk of a criminal with numerous misdemeanors, legally carrying a firearm? Who has a high criminal back ground, now leaglly carrying because you dont need a permit because its a constitutional right? Personally, id rather pay the $50 for the permit to make sure that doesnt happen. The permit IMHO, keeps criminals from legally being able to obtain the right to carry. And that i have no issues with. The only thing is a person who is wrongfully convicted, but i dont see that happening very often.
    All in all, ues it is our constitutional right. Should we need permits no. But it helps show trainning, and show who should have the firearm, and helps bust the ones who shouldnt. In my eyes the permit shows the same thing as a drivers liscense, we are trained and responsible. That is my opinion.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

VIP Member
    It is the level of the misdemeanor, not just the number of instances, which should count.

Anyone caught in illegal possession 3 times is probably a dangerous dude or a fool. Yup, elevate that
    third or more offense. I generally don't like 3 strike laws because they allow a weird "mix and match," so
    someone can get a life sentence on a third violation unrelated to the priors, and even if it is fairly minor.

But what you say is being proposed is 3 strikes on the same illegal gun possession charge. And you are elevating
    that to a felony, not demanding a life sentence. I can agree to that.

Illegal possession of guns is a huge problem in urban areas, especially amongst the teen and young adult
    gang members. I've no objection to cracking down on them.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Some people are just pacified and content with the government creating law after law after law to tell them how to live. I am not one of those people.

VIP Member
    The girlfriends are usually the gun mules. When they get caught doing something else, then the gun is found, a gun charge tacked on, then pleaded away. Judge Judy, call your office.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    They want to just keep chip, chip, chipping away at your constitutional rights.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post

As for the constitutional right. Is it not the right of an American man to drive a vehicle? But yet they say its a privilege which i see it both ways, a free man should not have to worrie about a drivers liscense, but they say it can be taken away. Samething for carrying a firearm. Its a constitutional right, but think about it, we have drivers liscense to show we know how to drive, i see the samething with a permit to carry, we went through trainning on some laws, and how/when to use it (weapon) for defense. Another thing is voting is it not our civic duty to vote? Our right? But yet a convicted felony cannot vote. So i ask would you rather not have a permit and run more of a risk of a criminal with numerous misdemeanors, legally carrying a firearm? Who has a high criminal back ground, now leaglly carrying because you dont need a permit because its a constitutional right? Personally, id rather pay the $50 for the permit to make sure that doesnt happen. The permit IMHO, keeps criminals from legally being able to obtain the right to carry. And that i have no issues with. The only thing is a person who is wrongfully convicted, but i dont see that happening very often.
    All in all, ues it is our constitutional right. Should we need permits no. But it helps show trainning, and show who should have the firearm, and helps bust the ones who shouldnt. In my eyes the permit shows the same thing as a drivers liscense, we are trained and responsible. That is my opinion.
    Driving is a privilege not a right. It is not listed in our constitution. Please don't get caught up in this kind of thinking. It is what the anti's want us to do. Driving cannot be compared to the RIGHT to keep and bear arms.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Links