Wisconsin Antigun Group Wants List of CCW Holders Published

This is a discussion on Wisconsin Antigun Group Wants List of CCW Holders Published within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems that the ones asking for this are thinking that by branding CCW Holders will deter others from exercising their right.. Clever idea, sort ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Wisconsin Antigun Group Wants List of CCW Holders Published

Wisconsin Antigun Group Wants List of CCW Holders Published

It seems that the ones asking for this are thinking that by branding CCW Holders will deter others from exercising their right.. Clever idea, sort of like the scarlet letter from our ancestor times.

They are doing this at the expense of those who decide to get permits... Law abiding citizens who may end up with a bulls eye not only for criminals to target when they want to get guns but also for radical antigun members who want to boycott that individual.

They also have not thought about thieves using this information to identify which houses to target, the ones with weapons in it or the ones without.

Sunshine Week: Group wants lists of concealed carry holders made available to public | The Marshfield News-Herald | marshfieldnewsherald.com

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

Yea that makes a lot of sense, (Not) The entire point of Concealed is to not advertise!! Oh imagine if they published our names and towns, that makes it real easy for the bad guy's to set up and ambush the good guy and take his weapon. The only anti gun logic I can think of is so the playing field is even. I'm surprised they have not asked to have the local LEO's off duty carrying policies published as well along with there home addresses. Dumb, Stupid...
    RightyLefty and thephanatik like this.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    These people who want permit holders' names released would be the same people bitching and moaning because of a spike in crimes committed with stolen guns. There will be criminals out there looking at the list targeting permit holders and their homes. Once again this is liberal emotionalism because it would make them feel good with no regard to what the consequences will be.

VIP Member
    We went through the same thing in Ohio shortly after CHLs came into being here.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

In Iowa, those lists are published, by the newspapers who feel it's their duty... A few people (acquaintances, who mostly already know or suspect (since I advocate 2A and carry)) do say things like "I saw your name in the paper the other day." So I'm certain that some busybody group has that list of names as well.

As far as targeting by BGs Looking for guns to steal. I'm sure it could happen... But please remember that the average IQ of the run of the mill burglar is about half that of knuckledraggin'-boogerpickin'-factoryworkin'-dirtballs such as myself... And while I might think that others on the list have guns to steal, they also could just have lives to protect. Plus these same thugs are the ones that can't read or understand gunbuster signs and pictograms..

Yes there are thieves other than the low life thugs, but they are professional or semi-professional... and they know if you've got stuff they want, list or no. And if they want it, they'll get it... But I don't think too many of us here have to worry about professional thieves.

All of that said, I DO NOT APPROVE of publishing the names of PCW/CCW/LCW holders (or whatever they call them in your state)... I really don't think it serves any good purpose... and the "watchdog" angle is just that; an angle for busybodies to find out about people and their stuff that they have no need to know.
    WD54241, thephanatik and joker1 like this.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Wow.. thats considered private info aint it? It would never fly here in MN. Its like requesting to see someones background report.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    It seems that the ones asking for this are thinking that by branding CCW Holders will deter others from exercising their right.. Clever idea, sort of like the scarlet letter from our ancestor times.

They are doing this at the expense of those who decide to get permits... Law abiding citizens who may end up with a bulls eye not only for criminals to target when they want to get guns but also for radical antigun members who want to boycott that individual.

They also have not thought about thieves using this information to identify which houses to target, the ones with weapons in it or the ones without.Sunshine Week: Group wants lists of concealed carry holders made available to public | The Marshfield News-Herald | marshfieldnewsherald.com

What makes you think they never thought about it?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    What makes you think they never thought about it?
    If they thought about it and shrugged it off, then they are worst than the criminals as they would be mainly responsible for additional crime and violence...it would also make then hypocrites as their whole argument is that they don't want more violence and they think that by having guns in the street it will create it
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Under the Privacy Act of 1974 you are violating my personal rights and are subject to prosecution under the act.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    We went through the same thing in Ohio shortly after CHLs came into being here.
    And what happened? I hope it was denied.

According to the law they can't have it. From the DOJ web site FAQ:

Is the information regarding CCW licenses available to the public?

No. The information regarding CCW licenses is not considered a public record and the DOJ, Department of Transportation (DOT), or any employee of DOJ or DOT, cannot make it available to the public except in the context of a prosecution for an offense in which the person‘s status as a licensee or holder of a certification card is relevant or through DOJ‘s annual report to the Legislature and the Governor. Wis. Stat. § 175.60(12)(c).

To whom can DOJ release information on CCW licenses?

Law enforcement agencies upon proper request and reports to the governor and legislature. Proper requests from law enforcement include: 1) to confirm that a license or certification card produced by an individual at the request of a law enforcement officer is valid; 2) if an individual claims to hold a valid license or law enforcement certification but does not have his or her license document or law enforcement certification card with him or her, to confirm that the individual holds a valid license or certification card; and 3) to investigate whether a person submitted an intentionally false statement in a license application or renewal.
    Wis. Stat. §§ 175.60(12g)(a) and (19).

VIP Member
    Ohio revised the law and protects the privacy of CHL holders.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

In TN it is considered a "matter of public record" Only one paper, Memphis, has consistently done any publishing about who has a permit. The last time I think they listed a website--guess the database is getting too large to print. Never heard of any repercussions on a state gun forum other than people being upset about them doing it. But, hey, I knew it was public record when I applied.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was youner

I don't want my name published...

-James Earl Jones

That's personal info in Texas and not available in Texas. And I believe it should remain that way.

I'd be extremely set if someone published my name to the point that I'd contact a lawyer.
    Mr B likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links