NYS Pistol Permit and ADD

This is a discussion on NYS Pistol Permit and ADD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am from Monroe County, New York and I want to apply for a pistol permit. However, I have been diagnosed with attention deficit ...

Hi, I am from Monroe County, New York and I want to apply for a pistol permit. However, I have been diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and my psychiatrist prescribed me with adderall couple of months back. Also, I am prescribed klonopin because of insomnia to help me sleep. I have never been in trouble with the law. However, when I was younger I was walking down the street and a stranger robbed and shot me before. I live in a rough neighborhood in Rochester, NY and need personal protection. Will I be denied? Please let me know. Thanks.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    This is a really tough one for so many reasons.

My opinion: If you tell the truth, you will likely be denied.

Look, New York is a MAY NOT ISSUE state, and as such is just a patchwork of differing judges and opinions. Many counties in NY are essentially almost NO ISSUE, while some are fairly gun friendly. I don't know about your county (but I'll bet it is tough to get a license there at least for full carry).

My recommendation is to find a job in another state, and MOVE.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

As others have said, any type of prescribed drugs may disqualify you for a permit. The best you can do is review the application and answer the medical questions truthfully. In some cases a letter from your doctor may be benefical if he doesn't see any issues. I feel for you living in Rochester, I'm just outside of the city and it's like the wildwest these days. Stay safe......

I think you'll be ok - in Monroe County it depends on the weather that day. Just say you want to hunt and target shoot, and see what they give you. ADD is not a good reason to deny a permit. And I don't think anyone is going to ask you about your childhood muggings.

Almost all of Rochester is a rough neighborhood. My sister lives there in the 12 corners area.
    I moved out in '72 to Florida, even though I had a unrestricted carry permit there.

ADD should not be a deal breaker. However, Monroe county is very hard to get a permit for anyone.
    Give it your best shot (pun intended)

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Try contacting a lawyer. Nobody here can determine as I believe it is up to the judge.

My friend has had a NY permit for over 30 years. last year his wife applied with help from Rochester Defense and received her full carry in 12 weeks

Do they even ask med questions where you are? I haven't seen med questions on the Texas and Idaho permits. I think I'd just not mention it. That's between you and your doctor.

I'm just outside of the city and it's like the wildwest these days.

Have you every bought a long gun. Im from Rochester and I know what you mean. Most of the time from my HUMBLE experience reading things and being a memeber of NY forum. Its not so much prescriptions but whether you have sought help. IE phsycologist. Talk to your dr and may want to consult an attorney for sure. I know that once you apply......and if denied and dont appeal it...makes it harder later on in life. Can hurt to PM me and I will give you a name of the NY based forum Im on and use for more regional specific situations. I will say this though. NY is a different ball game and depending how the wind blows?! ya know. They have a NY friendly atty list to atleast make a call and get professional idea.
    GOOD LUCK.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that in states that aren't "shall issue" states they will look for any reason to disqualify you. I don't see any reason that they would tho. MANY people have ADD and have permits, not sure about the insomnia. OP would most likely get accepted if he lived in a "shall issue" state right?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by GoBills View Post
    Hi, I am from Monroe County, New York and I want to apply for a pistol permit. However, I have been diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and my psychiatrist prescribed me with adderall couple of months back. Also, I am prescribed klonopin because of insomnia to help me sleep. I have never been in trouble with the law. However, when I was younger I was walking down the street and a stranger robbed and shot me before. I live in a rough neighborhood in Rochester, NY and need personal protection. Will I be denied? Please let me know. Thanks.
    Medications aside, I think anyone who makes a reference to "my psychiatrist" is going to set off alarm bells.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Medications aside, I think anyone who makes a reference to "my psychiatrist" is going to set off alarm bells.
    I agree,and if they ask about seeing a Psychiatrist on the application and you lie,when they find out you will not only be denied or have your permit revoked,they may charge you with lying on an official document.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Once you Complete your Pistol Permit Application in New York State. The First Part of the Investigation
    Starts with (New York States Department of Mental Health & Hygene)

If you have been Prescribed Medications For any Mental Health Issues It is reported To the Department
    of Mental Health.

Being honest is your best course of Action. I do not Know how the Whole Process Works, But I know it starts with Department of Mental Health.

I also believe it depends on what type of Medications you are Perscribed, and what would happen to you (Mentally) if you stopped taking your Meds. I wish, I had better Information for you,Pertaining to thier Policies. (Mental Health)

My suggestions to you would be to go to "New Yorks States Department of Mental Health & Hygene"
    Web Page, and research what Information they release to the Pistol Permit Department.

You can Also Call your Counties Pistol Permit Clerk, and Inquire On what Information is disclosed to them.

Just use Sound judgement when speaking to anyone in the Pistol Permit Office. I would'nt give them your name.

Just advise them you are Interested about the process of obtaining an pistol Permit while being perscribed Medications.

Good Luck,Hope my Info helps you in your Process
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Links