Is it concealed carry if holster visible?

This is a discussion on Is it concealed carry if holster visible? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just had this discussion with a buddy of mine and I'm not sure of the answer! I bought a holster to use at the local ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is it concealed carry if holster visible?

Is it concealed carry if holster visible?

Just had this discussion with a buddy of mine and I'm not sure of the answer! I bought a holster to use at the local range (tactical holster) that straps to your belt and then around your leg, so the gun sits on your thigh. One of the "features" of this holster that I didn't even realize when I bought it is an extra flap that folds down over the butt of the gun, and when you do this you can't see any part of the weapon. The holster itself sticks out like a sore thumb. My buddy said with the flap down it falls under the concealed carry laws since you can't see the weapon, is he right?

2. Remove Ads

IMO He is wrong..

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    ^^^ Agreed. That's open carry. Just because you can't see the weapon doesn't mean it's concealed since the holster is visible. Assumption being that's if there's a holster, there's a weapon.

Concealed means nothing is visible to the casual observer.

it may not matter if you are in an open carry state.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

JD
    Administrator
    This really depends on what the law says "concealed" means.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    This really depends on what the law says "concealed" means.
    Bingo. I have hear of at least 1 state (can't remember which) that considers an openly holstered gun concealed. Gotta look at your state law to know how it is classified in your neck of the woods.
    DMan likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

And, the definiton of "is" is........

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    If a tree falls in the woods and I cannot hear it, did it really fall? If I close my eyes and do not see a rainbow, did it really happen? Shall I go on? If I cover my firearm with a large cloth, does it still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by GGGreg View Post
    My buddy said with the flap down it falls under the concealed carry laws since you can't see the weapon, is he right?
    Good Guy Greg,

no meme.jpg
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

If the idea is to conceal, why even use something that may raise suspicion?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Bingo. I have hear of at least 1 state (can't remember which) that considers an openly holstered gun concealed. Gotta look at your state law to know how it is classified in your neck of the woods.

I haven't come across that in the WI code, I can see it going both ways depending on who's making the stink.

If you look at concealed as "being hidden from common observation" a covered pistol via flap holster could be considered concealed as the pistol is not visible (big clue there is NOT VISIBLE) and for all Joe Schmoe knows that's some sort of I-pad carrier on your leg. Thaw law does not provide means to carry concealed or openly carried holsters, it allows for concealed or openly carried handguns. If the handgun is not visible to common observation, it's not really openly carried, is it?

As it's not clearly defined in the WI code, this would probably be up to the AG to define.

But I would advise to err on the side of caution regarding anything that could result in a charge of carrying a concealed weapon illegally, even if the charge is bogus.

sgb
    My buddy said with the flap down it falls under the concealed carry laws since you can't see the weapon, is he right?
    no.gif
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    it may not matter if you are in an open carry state.
    I am in an open carry state, but my understanding is open carry has a different set of rules regarding things like school zones. So while I can concealed carry anywhere except school property, I can't open carry within 1000 feet of one.

I didn't think it would be considered concealed, his argument is whats the difference between a holster, a purse, or a fanny pack. If you can't see the gun, its concealed, so I can see his point too. For the time being, I'll stick with my not-so-obvious holsters.

You are able to open carry within 1,000ft of a school, but you need a concealed carry license to do so.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I am in an open carry state, but my understanding is open carry has a different set of rules regarding things like school zones. So while I can concealed carry anywhere except school property, I can't open carry within 1000 feet of one.

I didn't think it would be considered concealed, his argument is whats the difference between a holster, a purse, or a fanny pack. If you can't see the gun, its concealed, so I can see his point too. For the time being, I'll stick with my not-so-obvious holsters.
    Good call, but if any part of a firearm is visible (hence the firearm in the holster technically the holster is part of the firearm) it is open carry. Concealed is hidden, example, iwb holster w/firearm holstered covered by shirt = concealed, should shirt lift and show holster, or firearm and it is visible it is open carry.
    Planer terms, if you can see the holster or weapon, and others can "notice" without looking hard it is open.

My sorce, Two WI police officers.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links