Member Organization

This is a discussion on Member Organization within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I belong to a member organization. We don't own the land on which we meet, but we pay to be members. The membership board of ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 2 Post By kudzu

Thread: Member Organization

Member Organization

I belong to a member organization. We don't own the land on which we meet, but we pay to be members. The membership board of directors is considering prohibiting conceal carry. Can they do this or does this need to be done by the property owners of the property? Am I liable as a member if there is an incident and they have prohibited CC? Are they required to do anything to enforce the prohibition if posted. For example, if a member has a gun in his car, and someone knows about it, are we required to ask him to leave? If we knowingly let one person CC are we effectively allowing CC and voiding our signage or if we knowingly let that one person CC and his gun is used in an incident, are we then liable and to what degree...the membership? The property owners?
    Thanks,
    Mia

2. Remove Ads

Seems to me your organization can make any rules they want, as long as they don't contradict local and state law, or the property owner's terms of use. If the board of directors says you all have to show up in clown suits or lose your membership, guess that's what you'll have to do. But if they said you had to burn a cross in the driveway at every meeting, chances are that wouldn't fly.

Personally, I think the BoD deserves to wear the clown suits if they go forward with that prohibition. What are they afraid of?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'd be looking for a different club!
    archer51 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Mia, you ask pertinent questions about a serious subject. You have obviously spent some time thinking about the issues. Unless an attorney, well-versed in Wisconsin law, happens to take an interest in your post and chimes in, I do not think you are going to get answers to your questions upon which you could rely.

If it were me, rather than trusting some unknown soul on-line, I would either dive into Wisconsin statutes, which are readily accessible and searchable on-line, or consult a gun-friendly attorney. You did not tell us much about your organization but might there be an attorney who is a member and who might be helpful?

Based on your post here, you sound like a person capable of digging out a lot of the answers yourself. If you are so inclined to try that approach, you might start here:

Wisconsin State Law Library

If nothing else, you might learn enough yourself to pose narrowly focused questions to a competent attorney, thereby reducing his time. Of course, the ideal situation is a gun-friendly attorney who would help you out for "the cause." Good luck!
    Last edited by kudzu; March 13th, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo
    BkCo1 and sid1 like this.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Links