What's taking so long?!?!

This is a discussion on What's taking so long?!?! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I submitted all my necessary documents for my CPL end of July, 2011 to the Wayne County Clerk's office. I have no criminal record and ...

Thread: What's taking so long?!?!

What's taking so long?!?!

I submitted all my necessary documents for my CPL end of July, 2011 to the Wayne County Clerk's office. I have no criminal record and other than a few traffic tickets I've never had run-ins with the law. However I have yet to get my license! Any ideas as to why or any phone numbers I can call to inquire???

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    I submitted all my necessary documents for my CPL end of July, 2011 to the Wayne County Clerk's office. I have no criminal record and other than a few traffic tickets I've never had run-ins with the law. However I have yet to get my license! Any ideas as to why or any phone numbers I can call to inquire???
    Wayne county MI? They take FOREVER. Have you called the clerk's office?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I live in Kent County and mine took 3 months.

I just remembeered...go to the mcrgo.org site and look in their FAQ site. It gives a MI State Police phone number to call with any questions you have.

I live in Oakland county and the CPL application said within 45 days... I would assume its the same statewide ...???

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Have you moved?

Local forum give any indication of the usual wait time?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Hmmm, July 2011 is longer than "normal" even for Wayne County. Recently my buddy, who is a British ex-pat, took "only" around 2+ months. I would definitely call Wayne County Clerk/registrar to find out what is up. Concealed Weapons

Did you pay your application fees with a check and did it clear?

Welcome to DC.com
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post

Did you pay your application fees with a check and did it clear?

Welcome to DC.com
    Good point. This will also prove to them that you paid.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

That's complete BS! I'd show up in person over that one. Here in VA if your not Approved (or denied) in 45 days your receipt application automatically becomes your permit. Keeps a flame under them to do there job in a timely manner. Does MI have a timeframe there are supposed to stay within?

Wow, you should definitely check on the status of your application. You definitely gave me a reality check. I was feeling blue about being on day 62 of my wait in OK. Good Luck!

You should have known something within in 45 days of receiving your fingerprint comparison report according to Michigan Bill #6337:

(13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10). If the concealed weapon licensing board denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol, the concealed weapon licensing board shall within 5 business days do both of the following:

(a) Inform the applicant in writing of the reasons for the denial. Information under this subdivision shall include all of the following:

(i) A statement of the specific and articulable facts supporting the denial.

(ii) Copies of any writings, photographs, records, or other documentary evidence upon which the denial is based.

(b) Inform the applicant in writing of his or her right to appeal the denial to the circuit court as provided in section5d.

(14) If the fingerprint comparison report is not received by the concealed weapon licensing board within 60 days after the fingerprint report is forwarded to the department of state police by the federal bureau of investigation, the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a temporary license to carry a concealed pistol to the applicant if the applicant is otherwise qualified for a license. A temporary license issued under this section is valid for 180 days or until the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10) and issues or denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol as otherwise provided under this act. Upon issuance or the denial of issuance of the license to carry a concealed pistol to an applicant who received a temporary license under this section, the applicant shall immediately surrender the temporary license to the concealed weapon licensing board that issued that temporary license.

And I thought 7 weeks was a long wait. Maine says for a 5+ year resident it's 30 days, so it seems as though some places just don't care as long as it gets processed "eventually". I went in on day 28 and bugged the clerk at my local PD, but it still took another month after doing that to get mine.

VIP Member
    My question is, have you followed up on it before now? If not, why? If you went to a doctor for test, would you wait 8 months before checking on results, or post about what was taking so long?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    That's complete BS! I'd show up in person over that one. Here in VA if your not Approved (or denied) in 45 days your receipt application automatically becomes your permit. Keeps a flame under them to do there job in a timely manner. Does MI have a timeframe there are supposed to stay within?
    I understand this sentiment but we're talking about Wayne County, whose commissioner (and his cronies) is currently under FBI investigation/scrutiny...long story. And most folks don't want to go downtown D...to the main office...to wait in line...and then be waited on by a county employee...ugh.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Links