Locational Awareness

This is a discussion on Locational Awareness within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that situational awareness is king, however I believe that locational awareness is often overlooked. I myself am more accustom to an urban/suburban environment, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Locational Awareness

Locational Awareness

I know that situational awareness is king, however I believe that locational awareness is often overlooked. I myself am more accustom to an urban/suburban environment, however I have recently moved to a rural area and occasionally travel from El Paso Texas to Roswell New Mexico. Some of the towns that I may have to stop through seem shady at best. What are some things that I should be aware of in the South-Western areas? Upon doing research it seems like my worst nightmare would be a BG hopped up on amphetamines (really popular in the New Mexico area).

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Near Roswell look out for flying saucers...

Hopped up bad guys are everywhere, unfortunatly. I have travelled that area in the past, used to fly to El Paso and drive to Las Cruces once a month. While the scenery is different, its not much different than any rural/remote location other than the possibility of running into groups of illegals heading north. I would avoid any groups of people, especially if they are at a weird location (intersections and the like). Keep your SA sharp and it should cover it. Keep to yourself in gas stations, stay in well it areas. The standard stuff.

Oh, if in Las Cruces, drive south to Chopes Cafe. The real deal there. Bring antacid.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Any where near the border beware of illegals pretending to be in distress. People in rural areas have stopped to be a good Samaritan only to be jumped (possibly killed) for their vehicles by recent border crossers.

I guess I'm confused by the OP's term "Locational Awareness"....I believe I would include locational awareness as a "subgroup" of Situational Awareness...Seems the definition below supports my observation, but perhaps my interpretation is incorrect...My bottomline is that I believe Situational Awareness should be allllll encompassing within your surroundings concerning the factors that are present and how they may or may not affect you and/or your loved ones... JMO

Situation awareness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS
    Definition

Although numerous definitions of situation awareness have been proposed, Endsley's definition (1995b), "the perception of elements in the environment within a volume of time and space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their status in the near future," is firmly established and widely accepted. While some definitions are specific to the environment from which they were adapted, Endsley's definition is applicable across multiple task domains. Several other definitions have been suggested, generally restating the same themes:
    "accessibility of a comprehensive and coherent situation representation which is continuously being updated in accordance with the results of recurrent situation assessments" (Sarter & Woods, 1991)
    "the combining of new information with existing knowledge in working memory and the development of a composite picture of the situation along with projections of future status and subsequent decisions as to appropriate courses of action to take" (Fracker, 1991b)
    "the continuous extraction of environmental information along with integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture, and the end use of that mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future need" (Dominguez, Vidulich, Vogel, & McMillan, 1994)
    "adaptive, externally-directed consciousness that has as its products knowledge about a dynamic task environment and directed action within that environment" (Smith & Hancock, 1995)
    "the ability to maintain a constant, clear mental picture of relevant information and the tactical situation including friendly and threat situations as well as terrain" (Dostal, 2007)
    "knowing what is going on so you can figure out what to do" (Adam, 1993)
    "what you need to know not to be surprised" (Jeannot, Kelly, & Thompson, 2003)
    "keeping track of what is going on around you in a complex, dynamic environment" (Moray, 2005, p. 4)
    The "aim of efficient situation awareness is to keep the operator tightly coupled to the dynamics of the environment" (Moray, 2005, p. 4)
    Situation awareness is a state achieved when information that is qualitatively and quantitatively determined by given configuration as suitable for assumed role is made available to stakeholder by engaging them in to appropriate information exchange patterns. (Sorathia, 2008)[
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Well, if you get within 80 miles of the border.... drive a 4X4, so you can off road if you have to .... LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

It's not just in rural areas, it's everywhere. My wife and I are both former 911 didpatchers in the Daytona Beach area, with high tourist population. If you don't know where you are somewhat specifically, it's hard to get the right help to you in a timely manner.
    gunthorp and Hoganbeg like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    pay attention to whats going on around you and project activities to possible conclusions.

comport yourself accordingly.

--------------

KISS--only if writing for a thesis would someone talk like Endsley

first sgt--interesting collection of statements though, thank you.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

That is one of my favorite riding areas. Beautiful country. Just be extra careful around El Paso. The small towns are friendly and welcome your business. As usual have good SA. Enjoy. Be sure to visit Cloudcroft.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Near Roswell look out for flying saucers...
    They crashed in Roswell but moved to NV (Area 51) Duh!
    SpencerB likes this.

I think that the OP, was meaning more of locatation awareness more of, when doing research dont just look up gun laws, but criminal activity. Now Situational awearness, is defined above. As location awearness is a sub-group of where you are in that situation, and trying to be "pre-pared", but this is getting ready before you need to impliment your SA. Learn the criminals you could face, bad areas of towns to avoid, how do the LEO's treat carrying citizens, as well as good places to eat and so forth.

So I understand that locational awearness is part of SA, but i think the OP is looking for, location awearness to keen his SA on what exactly to be on the look out for specifically, outside normal "spidy senses", before he gets there.
    Outer_Heaven and sid1 like this.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    jerp, i agree with you

when traveling i use the web to 'see' about where im headed--and whats along the way. there is a site for 'crines by population and cities'

also use google earth to look at the roads you intend to take--known construction and possible detours. its planning ahead and having options.
    now we have smart phones so the co-pilot can help navigate. though mine has 2 lefts and no rights...

at 1st i thought the OP ment people who have an inborn sense of North. they usually can tell time to 5 minutes without a watch.
    for some reason this bugs my wife...
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    jerp, i agree with you

when traveling i use the web to 'see' about where im headed--and whats along the way. there is a site for 'crines by population and cities'

also use google earth to look at the roads you intend to take--known construction and possible detours. its planning ahead and having options.
    now we have smart phones so the co-pilot can help navigate. though mine has 2 lefts and no rights...

at 1st i thought the OP ment people who have an inborn sense of North. they usually can tell time to 5 minutes without a watch.
    for some reason this bugs my wife...
    About the "inborn North" and telling time. Sometimes that does bug me, makes me wonder how. And i have come up with 2 thoughts.

1.) They spend enough time outside to be able to tell. (Aint nothing wrong with that.)

2.) They are literally caught up in their same day rountine everyday to know exactly where they will be and at what time +/- 5mins.

#2 scares me because if for some reason they come from wealthy back grounds, or their spouse is in law, DA, witness, ect..... how easy wpuld it be for someone to abduct them? It be too easy, but a plus is when they dont show back up in the office after lunch like, they have every day for 3 years at the same time, and dont answer their phones, questions are raised quicker.

It is scary in a way....
    Last edited by jerp; March 14th, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: run-on sentence
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    I think that the OP, was meaning more of locatation awareness more of, when doing research dont just look up gun laws, but criminal activity. Now Situational awearness, is defined above. As location awearness is a sub-group of where you are in that situation, and trying to be "pre-pared", but this is getting ready before you need to impliment your SA. Learn the criminals you could face, bad areas of towns to avoid, how do the LEO's treat carrying citizens, as well as good places to eat and so forth.

So I understand that locational awearness is part of SA, but i think the OP is looking for, location awearness to keen his SA on what exactly to be on the look out for specifically, outside normal "spidy senses", before he gets there.
    You nailed it. I was attempting to get information about certain situations that may be more prevalent in rural locations than in urban/suburban locations.

Kapnketel and Doodle provided some insight for me. To be honest I would have been more likely to have helped people who appeared in distress in this current location because I'd more than likely believe them to be family. I also might not have kept in the light so much either, given that in an urban environment the dark can be your best cover if you are familiar with the area.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    I have heard of these sites, but I can't seem to find one that does not want my money (I don't make much). If you could provide me with a free one, that would make my day.

I'm assuming that you'd be taking 62/180 north, so the two cities you'd pass through would be; Carlsbad and Artesia. Both are small old oil towns, usually low-crime, but there's an occasional zombie or three (BG hopped up on amphetaphines) lol.. The key change to the locale would be to have an extra spare tire and a few gallons of water in your vehicle at all times!!

Bad areas;

Carlsbad, Basically anywhere south east/ west part of town is the lower income areas. Usually trouble doesn't come out till night. If you're passing through, you have no worries through Canal and Pierce, other than stupid construction zone.

Artesia, If passing through, again no real worries as the majority of the town is spread mostly to the west of the highway.

Roswell, While a better appearance than both carlsbad and artesia combined, it has a larger crime problem than the two cities combined.

I live out this way if you have any more questions..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links