carry with a laser/light

This is a discussion on carry with a laser/light within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone I am wondering how many people conceal carry with a laser/light on their weapon? I have a full sized M&P .40 I think ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: carry with a laser/light

carry with a laser/light

Hello everyone
    I am wondering how many people conceal carry with a laser/light on their weapon? I have a full sized M&P .40 I think I might get the "Viridian X5L", what are your thoughts?

The weapon is mostly used for the house (at night) I don’t carry during the week place of employment won’t allow it (army base).

EDIT: I want the C5L not x5l
    Last edited by Joshp689; March 13th, 2012 at 11:34 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Lasers are a good tool, just don't rely on them 100% for your targeting. Dead batteries or some other malfunction can leave you with no little red dot.
    The only weapon I have a laser on is my Ruger LCP.

Laser with light is kinda big for conceal carry but for a bedside table gun the Viridian seems like a good idea.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

The weapon is mostly for home defense. I would like to carry it when I go "out", but I dont want to take it off when I leave, put it back on when I get home.....ECT

You might get away with it in the winter time with one of these Weapon & Tactical Light Holster w/Sting Ray Loop :: Holsters w/Tactical Light :: Blade-Tech Industries But I have no idea if anyone makes an IWB for a pistol / light combo.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

VIP Member
    CT grips on my range Combat Commander and Ultra CDP EDC. Don't let them give a false sense of skill managing the trigger, but they make a great training aid.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Some have a mixed bag of feelings about a gun on a light in the sense that you are muzzling a subject while IDing them.
    The laser some say it will give away you position. Me I have a light on my gun for home use but not carry. I had a laser on an lcp and it was nice for close combat situations when you couldn't get a sight picture

The light is more important for me, the laser is just a plus.

I was thinking of getting this holster.
    IWB Leather Holster by Galco for M&P w/ C5 Gun Laser Sights | Viridian Green Laser Gun Sights

I have the Veridian C5L and it fits perfectly on my S&W M&P 40 compact--it doesn't even extend beyond the barrel. It also looks good on my full sized XDm, Glocks, etc. I don't like laser-lights that extend beyond the barrel--they look tacky to me--like ray guns.

Veridian has told me if I have any issues beyond their one year warranty, they work with customers unless it's apparant that the device was severely abused.

They also make (actually Blackhawk makes them) security level 2 retention holsters for the above mentioned brand guns, holsters that accomodate the guns with the laser light attached. I see they now have holsters that turn the device on to the last setting you chose each time you draw your gun, somewhat lessening the main advantage the fine Crimson Trace set up has.

Overall, I've been very happy, but I always remember that using the standard sights first effectively is of the utmost importance.

VIP Member
    I am comfortable carrying a WML on my handguns, it is simply the way I have trained. When home I carry daily and a couple of choices are a Glock 19 with a TLR light/laser combo or a standard M-3 attached. One of the main things is to choose a quality holster. I carry mine in Raven Holsters but there are several out there.

As stated some have an issue with covering someone with a WML and so on. I have trained enough and I am familiar enough with my weapons that it does not concern me but to each his own.

In regards to the laser I have played with it but do not depend on it and most of the time it is switched off until I have time to put some more training into it, the light on the other hand is used night or day with most of my weapons having a rail system to mount it on including my house gun.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I don't find a WML to be a comfortable carry, even with the smallest lights. I like to keep my light and gun separate, simply because I use the light more often than I draw the firearm.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

any one have an issue with the light mounts breaking when you sit? Tacman605 where did you find that hi cap mag?

VIP Member
    With an OWB holster there is no pressure on the lightmount there may be with an IWB holster not sure.

The extended mag is a factory S&W option. This .45 came as a two barrel set, with one standard barrel and one threaded, they threw in one extended mag. I have since bought a couple more off here and gunbroker. It ups the capacity to 13 or 14 I can't remember which and still balances well.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Actually, I kind of like the 2.5 ounces or so that the laser/light adds to the lower front of my S&W M&P 40 compact. It's a fine gun, but like most guns shooting 40, it's pretty 'snappy' and even that little bit of weight helps keep the rise down a bit. It doesn't move, torque or otherwise seem like it wants to break/snap off thankfully, but they have different adapters for diff. guns, which helps.

I used to worry about the laser and even more so the tactical light giving off my position, but I figure if I'm using them, I'm going to already have the draw and a clear bead on the BG carrying heat and at that point, it's up to him/her to wonder "Do I feel lucky today?"

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    carry the light in the other hand. if its mounted on the gun than you are lighting up what you are pointing at--

are there children or pets in the house? a sleep over friend?

so learn to aim the light with one hand and the gun with the other. takes practice.
    and vary the position of the light---high, low as you change position...and try hard not
    to have it in front of your body. if they should shoot towards the light that wont be good for you.

and remember to clean up, straighten the house b4 bed so you wont be tripping on stuff or
    out of place foot stools and chairs or toys.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links