Ga and issuing 18 year olds ccp

This is a discussion on Ga and issuing 18 year olds ccp within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I heard today that Ga passed a law allowing 18 year olds to get a ccp. Only after multiple courses and training. This is suppose ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ga and issuing 18 year olds ccp

Ga and issuing 18 year olds ccp

I heard today that Ga passed a law allowing 18 year olds to get a ccp. Only after multiple courses and training. This is suppose to be geared to younger veterans. My thinking is one if you join the military your 18 4 years of service puts you at 21. 2nd they can't purchase a handgun till the age of 21 so is this just a waste of time.

2. Remove Ads

Interesting... many states allow you to open carry at 18, some at 16, and a few at 14, some don't have any minimum age...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Age doesn't equate to maturity. I've had older students who required extended safety training. My kids were safe around firearms before they were 10.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    I heard today that Ga passed a law allowing 18 year olds to get a ccp. Only after multiple courses and training. This is suppose to be geared to younger veterans. My thinking is one if you join the military your 18 4 years of service puts you at 21. 2nd they can't purchase a handgun till the age of 21 so is this just a waste of time.
    You can't buy a handgun from an FFL until 21. Many states, including Florida, allow private party sales of handguns to anyone 18 or older who is otherwise not prohibited from owning a handgun.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    You can't buy a handgun from an FFL until 21. Many states, including Florida, allow private party sales of handguns to anyone 18 or older who is otherwise not prohibited from owning a handgun.
    Also, I don't believe there's anything stopping a parents for purchasing a handgun as a gift for an 18-year-old.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'm not familiar with this law, but, if in fact it is true, and an 18 year old can get their CWP after MULTIPLE courses and TRAINING, them I'm ok with it. If a young man or woman is old enough at 18 to put their name on the dotted line and serve their country, then they are old enough to obtain the proper training and get their CWP. BTW, if you join the military at 18 and serve 4 years, that puts you at 22...I'm sure it was a slip of the fingers when you typed 21. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'm 20 and have my CCL in Maine, which is also 18 for concealed carry. My Dad bought my XD9sc for me as a gift, and is the only handgun I own right now. I have to bug him for ammunition but other than that it's not a big deal. (We usually go though online sites for bulk purchases) If someone is mature enough it shouldn't be an issue. Honestly my observations of my friends and people I know is that very few "kids" my age even know about a CCL and that it's available to any law abiding citizen. I know for a fact that some of them will become more aware once a family may come into the picture...

Age definitely doesn't equal maturity, and there are different levels of maturity. At 18, I knew about safe handling of firearms. But I was also depressed and hot-headed with an ax to grind. While I was responsible for myself and in a lot of ways mature beyond my years, I know that I would not have been ready to handle the extra responsibility and level-headedness that comes with CC.

VIP Member
    Old enough to serve is old enough to carry IMHO. I used to hate it when I could only drink in the base club.
    phreddy likes this.

For the record I don't have a problem with it just thought the reasoning behind it for the young veterans it wouldn't matter cause they would be of age by the time they became veterans. But with proper training go for it I think if they are going that far they should allow then to purchase as well but I believe the 21 rule is federal and good luck with that. I didnt realize you can gift someone thats 18 a gun. Sorry for the typos doing this all on my iPhone lol

For the record I don't have a problem with it just thought the reasoning behind it for the young veterans it wouldn't matter cause they would be of age by the time they became veterans. But with proper training go for it I think if they are going that far they should allow then to purchase as well but I believe the 21 rule is federal and good luck with that. I didnt realize you can gift someone thats 18 a gun. Sorry for the typos doing this all on my iPhone lol
    Not all vets are able to serve their entire four year commitment. Whether it be from injury, or illness, or perhaps another reason altogether. I have a friend who was discharged from the USMC a little past his one year point due to an unknown medical problem ( as in they couldn't figure out what was wrong). I think that puts him at about 19 now.

As for a federal law that prohibits purchasing prior to being 21, I know here in Michigan that you have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL (maybe the federal 21 rule is a stipulation that comes with the FFL? I'm sure someone with more knowledge on it could answer that), but you only have to be 18 to purchase from a private seller.

-Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't have to wait until they are out of the military to get a license. For example, this would allow an 18 year old Soldier stationed at Ft. Benning to get his permit. In Texas, all that is required is that they be 18 and a current or former member of the military and pass the normal CHL course. They can skip the shooting portion of the course by submitting their latest firearms qualification. I don't understand why anyone would skip the best part of the course, though. :)

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Old enough to serve is old enough to carry IMHO. I used to hate it when I could only drink in the base club.
    You would hate it even more if you were there. The base club is not even an option now. In fact, the military takes a very dim view of underage drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I'm not familiar with this law, but, if in fact it is true, and an 18 year old can get their CWP after MULTIPLE courses and TRAINING, them I'm ok with it. If a young man or woman is old enough at 18 to put their name on the dotted line and serve their country, then they are old enough to obtain the proper training and get their CWP. BTW, if you join the military at 18 and serve 4 years, that puts you at 22...I'm sure it was a slip of the fingers when you typed 21. JMO
    Age doesn't matter. If your are for mandatory training it should be the same for everyone regardless of background and age. I am not for mandatory training. Why should it be different for group A vs group B. I highly recommend training.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    You would hate it even more if you were there. The base club is not even an option now. In fact, the military takes a very dim view of underage drinking.
    Really!? It was strongly encouraged back in my day... My CO would tell us "if you're gonna get hammered, stay on base - don't embarrass me in town". We even had beer machines (instead of soda machines) at the laundromat - 30 cents a pop as I recall. Pulling into port with a month's worth of laundry usually made for an interesting day...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links