New To Carrying - Page 2

New To Carrying

This is a discussion on New To Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hit the range often and become comfortable with your weapon!!! I do not carry one in the chamber but it is only a rack away....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New To Carrying

Hit the range often and become comfortable with your weapon!!! I do not carry one in the chamber but it is only a rack away.
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

Senior Moderator

Watch this video. It pinpoints exactly why your 1911 is safe to carry "cocked and locked."

JD
    Administrator
    Read over this to supplement the video above: Is Cocked and Locked Dangerous?

One more thing to keep in mind is that a big reason a lot of us carry with a round chambered is to prevent malfunctions; most, if not all of which happen during the action of the slide cycling a round. Racking the slide just increases your chances of a malfunction occurring. Whether we ride the slide home, powerstroke the slide, "sling-shot" the slide -- whatever we do under stress -- it's just adding an extra chance for a malfunction to occur.

One thing you could try would be to carry all day at home with your gun empty, safety-on, hammer back. Do some yardword, lie on the couch and watch TV, bend over and pick things up -- just leave it on all day and at the end of the day take a look at your gun. I would bet big money the safety will still be on, and the hammer will still be back.

You could also test your gun at the range. Try shooting it without fully depressing the grip safety, try shooting it with the safety on, etc. Unless you have a defective gun, that thing ain't gonna go off unless the safety is off, the grip safety is depressed, and the trigger is pulled.

Regardless of what you do, I guarantee you'll get used to it and more comfortable over time. I carry both my LC9 and my FNX-9 with the safeties off (hammer down on the FNX).
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

It took me a while to get used to one in the chamber.

One thing I always do is holster the loaded weapon BEFORE hooking the holster inside my belt.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    It took me a while to get used to one in the chamber.

One thing I always do is holster the loaded weapon BEFORE hooking the holster inside my belt.
    I did this for a few months too, it's very comfortable to do. But at some point you will get curious and want to rack the slide then holster it. All in time my friends, just remember that no matter how you strap it on, you are always in control.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    If you are uncomfortable, carry it unloaded with the hammer back and go about your daily business. I bet it doesn't go off. kick it up a notch and have a wrestling match with someone and see if it goes off. I suggest you can do this with the saftey off as long as you do not pull the trigger it will not go off. Now that you are confident that it will not discharge by it's self, load one in the chamber, engage the thumb saftey, eject and top off the mag, and now holster it. You are good to go.
    Doodle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkster View Post
    I have had my permit for about two weeks. I have been carrying no round in the chamber and feeling pretty safe. But my friends tell me by the time I draw the weapon, cock it and put it on target I will have been shot. So I am cocked and locked with thumb break and feel very uneasy as I am fully aware of what happens if that thing discharges. Is this a feeling that will go away with time? I want to be as ready as I can and safety is always first, just feeling totally different with a hot weapon on safety.
    Thanks
    I just started carrying my M&P 9 and I don't even have an external safety. I felt the same way as you about the idea so I carried it with a snap cap cocked and locked every day and at the end of each day checked it to see if it fired. I did everything I possibly could to try to get it to fire and I could not. The first two days of carrying a live one I was a bit nervous but I am feeling better about it each new day. I think I am more afraid of a situation occurring that I might lose my chance to save my family because I didn't have enough time to rack the slide...

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    This is a great topic. I carry an M&P 9c with no external safety and currently do not carry with a round chambered. I'm sure at some point I will feel comfortable doing so but maybe only after another 100 hours or so at the range unholstering, firing, and reholstering.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

I've been carrying for a little over 6 months now. I carry a Pf-9 DA no saftey round chambered.I know you have heard it before but it remains true. 99.9% of pistols will not fire unless you pull the trigger.I'm all for gun handeling safely but do not put your life in danger by carrying an unchambered pistol. It must be ready to go when drawn. Don't spend time worrying about your gun going off on your side but rather spend the time thinking out situations and keeping your awareness high. There are too many preditors roaming the plains looking for prey. Remember you have chosen to not be that prey. My problem the first week or so was thinking everyone was looking at me and seeing nothing but some armed guy. The reality is most people are not looking at my gun at all..Why? cause its concealed haha..Shake it off and before you know it you won't feel awkward at all.One thing i have noticed is people seem to be more friendly and good manners haha can't believe it. So i am assuming some folks might think im carrying cause what else would explain the good manners haha.The old saying "an armed society is a polite society" is true haha..also when you can take additional training. I am going to attend whats billed as the next level of training concealed. Multiple assailants close quarters etc etc i can't wait. going in a couple of weeks... Then i will take those drills and incorporate them into my personal training. I have a new target stand i got for christmas and a stocking full of ammo ive been working on. Anyhow keep on keepin on. You won't regret your choice to conceal carry.It woke me up my senses are higher my confidence is higher and soon my training level will be higher..

Quote Originally Posted by Starkster View Post
    I have had my permit for about two weeks. I have been carrying no round in the chamber and feeling pretty safe. But my friends tell me by the time I draw the weapon, cock it and put it on target I will have been shot. So I am cocked and locked with thumb break and feel very uneasy as I am fully aware of what happens if that thing discharges. Is this a feeling that will go away with time? I want to be as ready as I can and safety is always first, just feeling totally different with a hot weapon on safety.
    Thanks
    Yes...the feeling will go away...but i highly recommend you seek training. If you're afraid of your gun "going off" in a holster, what are you going to do when you're confronted by a BG?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

As others have already said. You'll get used to it, and get comfortable carrying in condition I. Welcome to the world of concealed carry

I too had such an ingrained habit of making sure my safety was on until I was ready to pull the trigger, this was from many years of hunting. My dad would have wrung our necks if we brought a loaded rifle or shotgun in the house or didn't have the safety on.

I also carried without a round in the chamber for a while then I became comfortable with it. But I still have nightmares about my dad...

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    One thing I cant do is pocket carry! I know a lot of you do,but I just cant stand my gun unsecure (at least I think its unsecure) in my pants. Its gonna be strapped to myself side or I aint carryin. I know I limit myself,but Ill go out of my way to find ways to not pocket carry.
    pocket carry holster... Does the trick!

The uneasiness will pass, and when it does you'll wonder why you ever carried without one chambered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links