New To Carrying

New To Carrying

This is a discussion on New To Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my permit for about two weeks. I have been carrying no round in the chamber and feeling pretty safe. But my friends ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New To Carrying

New To Carrying

I have had my permit for about two weeks. I have been carrying no round in the chamber and feeling pretty safe. But my friends tell me by the time I draw the weapon, cock it and put it on target I will have been shot. So I am cocked and locked with thumb break and feel very uneasy as I am fully aware of what happens if that thing discharges. Is this a feeling that will go away with time? I want to be as ready as I can and safety is always first, just feeling totally different with a hot weapon on safety.
    Thanks

You will feel better but it takes time.

What gun are you carrying? A 1911?

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

proficiency breeds confidence. But don't let it be to the detriment of safety.

what kinda gun is it? I'm of the thought that an unloaded gun is a fine way to get killed.

Yes sir,
    Springfield 1911-A1, have several handguns but this is what I used for the test. I shot a 248 out of 250 I thought that wasnt bad since I haven't shot a gun since 1984. I know it's big but it feels better than any of my others guns and I think that's important.

The 1911 was designed to be carried "cocked and locked." Condition 1, Safely.

I'm sure it can be hard to get used to. Make sure you practice drawing, and thumbing off the safety on presentation. Do this with an empty gun. Do it until it becomes "muscle memory."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    For your gun to fire you have to deactivate several safeties. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, your fine. The longer you carry C&L the more comfortable you'll become with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

When I first starting carrying, I too was very uneasy about having a loaded gun in my pants. Over the course of my time carrying, I've grown comfortable with my weapon and trust it not to fire unless I pull the trigger (and to fire when I pull the trigger). On the more technical side of things, as others have said, the odds of all the safeties being deactivated and having the trigger pulled while carrying it is extremely unlikely.

Assuming that your weapon is meant for cocked and locked carry, so long as that is how it is and the trigger guard is protected, there should be no discharges.

Get over it...'cocked and locked' is extremely safe.
    Remember, it's a finger thing that fires the weapon.
    Develop the muscle memory and you'll be just fine...soon you won't even think about it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I used to get squirmy when I'd carry ready to go. Its second nature these days. Just dont forget,you are now held accountable to be even more on top of your game. Be safe,be aware.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Thanks, I feel better that it is somewhat normal to feel uneasy. I am sure it will pass in time. I haven't felt like since the first time I soloed in my first car, I almost forgot what it felt like.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock.

As others have said the 1911 are made to carry cocked with the thumb safety on and a round in the chamber.

Practice with an unloaded weapon and a safe background cocked and locked drawing, taking the safety off and pulling the trigger until you become comfortable .

A quality holster and belt are vital to the safe carrying of a handgun. Make sure you have both.

In the below photo I am carrying my Hi-Power in a Bianchi # 100 IWB holster cocked and locked.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

One thing I cant do is pocket carry! I know a lot of you do,but I just cant stand my gun unsecure (at least I think its unsecure) in my pants. Its gonna be strapped to my side or I aint carryin. I know I limit myself,but Ill go out of my way to find ways to not pocket carry.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Remember you are in COMPLETE control of anything and everything that weapon does and you will shake that fear very quickly. I shook the fear of carrying one in the chamber once my friend who became a Police Officer taught me a little trick. He told me to empty the cylinder (at this time I carried a revolver) and once it was emptied to put my finger in the trigger guard and bounce it around as much as I could. I proceeded to do this and I could not make the hammer budge. After that he told me to cock the hammer back (gun still unloaded) and proceed to do the same thing (NOTE: I do not, and never have carried a revolver with the hammer cocked back), this time I could make the hammer release, however it took a lot of effort to the point of intentionally making a motion that would relate to pulling the trigger. The fear was gone. In the past years I have carried a kel-tec p-11, Glock 31, and Glock 32. Since the exercise I was taught, I have had no fear since I know that I am in control.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Cocked, locked and ready to rock.

As others have said the 1911 are made to carry cocked with the thumb safety on and a round in the chamber.

Practice with an unloaded weapon and a safe background cocked and locked drawing, taking the safety off and pulling the trigger until you become comfortable .

A quality holster and belt are vital to the safe carrying of a handgun. Make sure you have both.

In the below photo I am carrying my Hi-Power in a Bianchi # 100 IWB holster cocked and locked.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

OS
    Way off topic, but I must say Kudos, Old School. You are in Florida and you're not in jorts. You a 'Cains fan instead?

VIP Member
    Starkster, you will get used to whatever you carry, just become very familiar with your weapon. The 1911's have been carried cocked and locked many thousands for decades. It's a proven platform. What you are feeling is just the lack of familiarity with carrying. Practice, practice, practice.

I would never carry without one in the chamber. That's a lot of motion and time required to get one in the chamber, and your adversary will not politely wait around while you scramble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links