How concealed is concealed?

This is a discussion on How concealed is concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this is not a new question but I am going to ask anyway. I live in Texas and carry a full size 1911 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How concealed is concealed?

I know this is not a new question but I am going to ask anyway. I live in Texas and carry a full size 1911 on my hip. My holster does have some forward cant and seems to fit pretty well. I wear a t shirt or a untucked dress shirt it covers it up. But there are some bulges here and there. You can't tell it's a weapon unless you a carrier or a cop. Is this good enough concealment? I love this gun and want to make this work, but I don't want to get in any trouble.
    Thanks Jim

"Printing" is illegal in some states and not others.

No worries here in AR, but check your state laws.

Other than that, as long as you don't print excessively, most people will not notice; or think cell phone.

Just be aware of exposing when reaching above your head and bending over.

If someone does spot you, and they call the police, you could be charged with brandishing.

Depends on how politically motivated your local DA is.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by Starkster View Post
    I know this is not a new question but I am going to ask anyway. I live in Texas and carry a full size 1911 on my hip. My holster does have some forward cant and seems to fit pretty well. I wear a t shirt or a untucked dress shirt it covers it up. But there are some bulges here and there. You can't tell it's a weapon unless you a carrier or a cop. Is this good enough concealment? I love this gun and want to make this work, but I don't want to get in any trouble.
    Thanks Jim
    The legal description and requirement can be found in the Texas CHL laws, accessible at the Texas CHL website http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-16.pdf they should have covered this in your CHL class.

411.171 “Concealed handgun” means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

In practicality the outline of the grip and end of the magazine shows sometimes but I have never been "outed" except by those that know I am carrying. I also have a leatherman and a phone that make similar "printing" through my shirt. In my recent renewal class the instructor said no part of the frame should be visible; although this is not specified in the current law.

I recommend you study the above linked PDF, it provides the best source of info for Texas carry.

Thanks, didn't think about the reaching and bending.

Don't know your age, but bending at the knees is a good habit to start now for reasons other than printing...
    W9HDG and Outer_Heaven like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Also, if you have printing issues, dark/black clothing makes a world of difference. I personally think it's asking for trouble, but if you're gonna do it anyway...

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    This question has been asked before and once again my reply is "don't overthink this issue". As said above in Reply #3, "openly discernible" "ordinary observation" and "reasonable person" are telling you NOT to overthink this. Good advice, though, on reaching and bending not only for the obvious exposure but without using your knees you are stressing the ability of your holster to keep your large firearm in its place.

You know come to think of it, It was not covered in class. I remember the rightful shoot issues and a good Lawyer, gun safety. And supporting information on test questions. My friends that have their permits have been a great help. I liked my gun class, I just wished you get more range time. And this web sight has been very helpful and the members nice.
    Thanks Jim

My neighbor bought me over a Don Hume IWB to help out. I am going to wear it today, not the most comfortable but what 1911 full size is stuck in your pants. Well anyway you can't see it!

Oh, there's whole topics on reaching, and bending, and peeing , and printing, and using the facilities, working construction, going to the gym, riding a bicycle, a motorcycle (no unicycle riders I recall), and probably changing a flat tire too, all while carrying.

The cure is to do a "wally walk"... look it up... and realize that the stares you are getting are because the "people of walmart" have never seen a normally dressed person, doing normal things in Walmart.

That thing with the underline, that's a link son, a link I say.
    1hogfan83 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I could have swore printing was illegal in arkansas, atleast thats what the class instructor said. If anyone could tell you had a gun and called to police you could loose your weapon. I'm really suprised at how liberal arkansas is with their gun laws compared to other southern states.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

That thing with the underline, that's a link son, a link I say.
    Is that a Foghorn Leghorn voice I heard when reading that??? Awesome!
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

VIP Member
    I favor IWB behind the strong side hip in a Crossbreed, MTAC, or CTAC. A loose T-shirt or Polo won't ride up if it's a large size. My wife is always with. She watches for printing and makes sure I don't buy more guns.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

get a different gun

The wording here in Texas is "deliberate failure to conceal" constitutes a crime. You should be ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links