Data on what percentages of distances shooting incidents with CCL have taken place?

Data on what percentages of distances shooting incidents with CCL have taken place?

This is a discussion on Data on what percentages of distances shooting incidents with CCL have taken place? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read this article from What Really Happens In A Gunfight? Which summaries from my reading that the defensive shooter is at a disadvantage(loses) inside ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Data on what percentages of distances shooting incidents with CCL have taken place?

I read this article from What Really Happens In A Gunfight?

Which summaries from my reading that the defensive shooter is at a disadvantage(loses) inside of 7-1/2yards and tend to win at further distances such as 12 to 15 yards.

Is this correct?

I take it the 7.5 yards is due to the 21feet distance which can be covered before a defender is able to draw their firearm?

Is there data form actual shooting incidents with CCL holders to confirm the above?

I ask because am considering a CCW but currently always carry a Spyderco pocket knife which can be quickly deployed in those 21 feet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixC View Post
    I read this article from What Really Happens In A Gunfight?

Which summaries from my reading that the defensive shooter is at a disadvantage(loses) inside of 7-1/2yards and tend to win at further distances such as 12 to 15 yards.

Is this correct?

I take it the 7.5 yards is due to the 21feet distance which can be covered before a defender is able to draw their firearm?

Is there data form actual shooting incidents with CCL holders to confirm the above?

I ask because am considering a CCW but currently always carry a Spyderco pocket knife which can be quickly deployed in those 21 feet.
    I don't want to take a knife to a gunfight, and would prefer to take a gun to a knife fight.
    BkCo1, Bad Bob and RemMod597 like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    I don't rely on statistics. You can make the same statistics read completely different, depending on what you want to prove. While I carry a knife as a back up weapon, I still prefer to have my gun as my secondary weapon. My primary weapon will always be my situational awareness.
    RemMod597, RichB70, sgb and 2 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

How do you deploy that knife with multiple attackers?
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I ask because I could see being able to flee at longer ranges but not in close where the knife is better. I mean in situations outside of the home where the CCW use would apply.

Where the knife is better than a firearm?

Unwanted editorials aside I take it the question cannot be answered.

VIP Member
    I can deploy my sidearm, regardless of distance, quicker than I can deploy my knife.
    oneshot likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    That is why it is so important to be aware of your surroundings and practice.

Answer it for yourself. Have someone sand 21 feet away, and rush you. Try and deploy a plastic (safe) knife before you get hit. Then repeat with your (safed) gun. See what happens. If you are like most folks, you will be on your back before you can get either one deployed. That is why most trainers practice "get off the X!" Combine that with carrying a knife, without training, means you will probably fumble it and cut yourself trying to use it in self defense, and you will find out you are beter off busting off the X, and pulling and using your firearm, rather than a knife. Your question really is one of training and tactics.
    oneshot likes this.

Sir, here is a link which you might find informative, and which might answer the question which you've posed.

Gunfighting distance : Jedburgh Corporation

I might also suggest, that IF your patience carrying a firearm, is as short lived as your patience in waiting for an answer to a posed question, then it might behoove you to reconsider your option to carry a firearm. Perhaps YOUR knife would be a better choice. Of course this is strictly an editorialized answer of which you seem to dislike. Good luck in your search for answers Sir. BE SAFE!
    RemMod597 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

In those situations where a handgun isn't feasible (a crowded area for example) I prefer a baton to a knife. I don't like my odds if someone gets close enough for me to use a knife - that means they are close enough to use one also - and I can add 2 feet to my reach with a baton.

The author of the article you cited, Dave Spaulding says it is from his experience. He is a trainer and the article was published in Guns and Ammo.

I don't know of any published data on distances, there is poor collection of data on concealed carry encounters altogether. FBI has some data that is similar to this, NEISS probably has no information other than gunshot. Maybe someone else knows...

VIP Member
    I ask because I could see being able to flee at longer ranges but not in close where the knife is better. I mean in situations outside of the home where the CCW use would apply.

Is this where the phrase "youth is wasted on the young" came from??

I am 51 years old, with arthritis, bad(not completely wasted) knees and a lousy back.
    I would need a football field to outrun anything more than Ray Charles in a wheelchair.

SA and the will to fight if cornered/outnumbered is your best game going at my age, and by fight, I mean pepper spray, or if the assilant(s) are armed my firearm.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I am reluctant to base my self-defense strategies and training on statistics derived from LEO lethal force encounters.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links