Carrying G27 v. Kahr PM9?

This is a discussion on Carrying G27 v. Kahr PM9? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my G27 which has been my EDC. However, it's not easy to conceal when I am a "shirt tucker" and have found that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Carrying G27 v. Kahr PM9?

Carrying G27 v. Kahr PM9?

I love my G27 which has been my EDC. However, it's not easy to conceal when I am a "shirt tucker" and have found that left appendix to right appendix area is where concealment is best based on my build, etc. During cool weather with sweaters, jackets-no problem. However, warmer weather (I know its wierd!!) and no layers makes concealing even the G27 challenging. I use a Smartcarry holster. I have a Kahr PM9 which is very concealable with shirts tucked, shorts, whatever. I like the gun but would prefer a shorter trigger and reset and more rounds Question - to be able to easily, fully conceal for warm weather, should I just "settle" for the Kahr? Is it better to have some weapon on you (even a 9mm PM9) with a longer trigger and fewer rounds than to risk not being concealed (with G27) or not carrying at all? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Easy, PM9

I carry an MK9 and/or a PM9 every day, it's THE best concealed carry gun available right now (the new XDs may change that, but it will still be larger).

I also use a Smartcarry on occasion, as well as a Silent Thunder in both IWB and OWB configurations and a Galco Ankle Glove (love that thing).

I carry a G26 so same size, I alternate between my SmartCarry and Kholster, with the Kholster I conceal pretty good at 3:00 with only a T-Shirt. Tucking my shirt in actually helps a little because you have that little bit that I assume most people pull back out so it doesn't look like you've got stays holding your shirt down. I wouldn't see the Kahr as settling at all, there great guns. I've felt those triggers and have no issue with them. If you can hit what your aiming at with it, it shouldn't make a difference. It's a self defense gun, not a range toy. You can always carry a spare mag which is good practice anyways, but the chances of not hitting your targer after 8rds is slim to none. At least I HOPE it is :)

Apples to oranges. The PM9 is much smaller, and much easier to carry. As far as the trigger reset, I would be shocked if you noticed or cared if you were in a SD situation. You probably wont even hear the shots. PM9 is the ultimate conceal carry gun

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Not a fair comparison. kahrs smaller , lighter, 9mm, and more pocketable. I had a g27 and after a while for me the g27 just did not offer the size to pocket and sold it. The smaller cm9 is still easier to shoot even with +P loads too.

VIP Member
    I have the PM40, only fractionally larger than the PM/CM9, but what a wonderful difference in recoil and muzzle blast. It's so much easier to pocket than the G27, and a spare 5rd mag keeps the round count up.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I think the Kahr PM9 is perfect for your tucked in shirts & Smartcarry.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I had a G26 and a PM9 at the same time.

While the PM9 is thinner and easier to carry, for me it wasn't as shootable, which was the deal breaker.

I can get hits quicker and more accurately with the G26 than the PM9. The 26 gives up little to it's larger brothers when it come to actually shooting and has the same trigger and operating controls.

I carried both guns in a belly band in the AIWB position with a shirt tucked over it. Admittedly, the majority of the time I'm untucked and carrying AIWB in a Fricke ArchAngel. But for about 6-8 hours a week, I need to able to covert carry.

The slightly thicker 26 just wasn't that big a concern or ptoblem for me.

I carried a Glock 27 for about a decade before purchasing the Kahr MK9. Then I ended up buying the PM9 and it's my most carried firearm. Between the weight and width difference, it's a much easier carry for me. As for the trigger, put some more time in at the range and it will be much easier to shoot.

As for "settling", I never felt I settled when I can carry 6+1 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 9mm+P rather than 9+1 rounds of .40S&W. Not to mention that I always carry an extra mag or two.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

My thoughts on G26 vs PM9 for pocket carry - kinda related to your situation

Pocket carrying a Glock 26
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

both are awesome handguns. I don't think they compare very well though. I'd feel very confident with the PM9 when clothes or the situation made the G27 problematic. (assuming you can shoot them both quickly and accurately).

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Give me the Glock 27 any day of the week. I prefer Glock as I trust them more then any other brand. I would rather have a Glock 26 than the 27 but either one will do in a pinch.

I'm a Remora fan. Have you tried one of their holsters for your G27? What I like is that I can move it wherever I want it and cant it at any angle to make it disappear. It might be worth a try and worst case, it's only a $25 experiment.

VIP Member
    I am much faster and more accurate with my Glocks than I could ever hope to be with the PM9 I recently sold. The Kahr is a great pistol for what it is, but it's not what I need in a go-to edc.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Walther PPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links