CSM Article: Inside America's Gun Carry Culture

This is a discussion on CSM Article: Inside America's Gun Carry Culture within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun nation: Inside America's gun-carry culture - CSMonitor.com Lots of history, and at least one interesting stat... "Moreover, the number of deaths caused by a ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By nwbackpacker

Thread: CSM Article: Inside America's Gun Carry Culture

CSM Article: Inside America's Gun Carry Culture

Gun nation: Inside America's gun-carry culture - CSMonitor.com

Lots of history, and at least one interesting stat...

"Moreover, the number of deaths caused by a gun in the US has been declining even though the number of guns carried in public has been growing. Federal statistics show that between 2005 and 2009, the number of annual murders committed with a gun dropped from 10,158 to 9,146. During the same period, the number of justifiable, or defensive, homicides rose from 196 to 261."
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

2. Remove Ads

Interesting statistics... thanks... good find...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Informative and generally fair.
    Thanks for posting.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

For Joe Binns, that means no Colt .45 under his coat. A retired coal miner from Pennsylvania who spends his winters in Garner, Mr. Binns believes all guns – even hunting rifles – should be locked in the local police station. If someone wants to shoot a deer or turkey, they can go down to the station house and check out their Browning or Springfield.

"Guns everywhere, it's ridiculous," he says. "If you're in trouble, call the cops."
    I'm betting he never ever needed police help in a dire situation where moments counted.

Kurt

VIP Member
    "On one hand, you have grandpas and grandmas who don't feel that a local basketball game or baseball game is the right place for guns because emotions can get so heated," says the affable mayor who, as any self-respecting local dignitary, is dressed for the Groundhog Day celebration in a tuxedo and top hat. "The other side of the message is, if I'm walking down the greenway and bad guys try to rape my wife or girlfriend, I want to carry my gun so I can kill ... them."
    Spoken like a true anti. Those that I know, don't carry a gun so they can kill someone, they carry it to protect themselves and loved ones. If they are forced to use it and the person they used it against dies, that was a result of their stupid/illegal actions.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Good article, thanks for the post

The one guy who states that the 1 day he left his gun home he was accosted by a store clerk who wouldn't allow his children to use the bathroom. Is he saying he would have drawn his weapon on this clerk?

Eek.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

From the article:
    "A majority of married women support the right to carry a concealed weapon in America, while single women, on the whole, do not. "

I'm not a woman, married *or* single, but I feel that I went through a similar conversion. When I was younger and single I didn't have much beyond myself. I didn't own property, I didn't have the lovely wife that I have now. I was young, care free and basically immortal. As you move through life you may have kids, meet someone amazing, buy property. You may have friends your age that die at a younger age from natural or unnatural causes.

You start to realize how short life is, and how fragile it can be for both you and your loved ones.

Once you've realized this, it's not a big step to arming yourself to protect what you have.
    SigHawk likes this.

Interesting article with some balance and research. Thanks for the post!

That was a fair and balanced perspective. The article did not take sides but examined both sides of the issue. I wish more articles like this were regularly published.

Links