Traveling Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama Need Input and Advice

Traveling Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama Need Input and Advice

This is a discussion on Traveling Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama Need Input and Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím going to be traveling from Arkansas to Alabama for vacation next week for Spring Break. I havenít decided the exact route yet but could ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By Yoda

Thread: Traveling Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama Need Input and Advice

Iím going to be traveling from Arkansas to Alabama for vacation next week for Spring Break. I havenít decided the exact route yet but could be crossing through Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, and of course will be staying in Alabama. Iíve pulled up and printed out the laws of the different states from Handgunlaw.us. However, I would like to ask for advice, opinions, potential problems or things to look out for from some of you with specific experience in or living in these states. Any places, especially in Alabama, that I should avoid even if not specific in the guidelines? Law Enforcement attitudes, etc?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    I’m going to be traveling from Arkansas to Alabama for vacation next week for Spring Break. I haven’t decided the exact route yet but could be crossing through Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, and of course will be staying in Alabama. I’ve pulled up and printed out the laws of the different states from Handgunlaw.us. However, I would like to ask for advice, opinions, potential problems or things to look out for from some of you with specific experience in or living in these states. Any places, especially in Alabama, that I should avoid even if not specific in the guidelines? Law Enforcement attitudes, etc?
    While I don't and never have lived in any of those states, I can give you one sound piece of advise. If your carrying DON'T drink. DO stay out of bar's, and DON'T hang around with those who have been drinking.

I know, those things take the fun out of spring break, but at least by following them, you'll be able to go on another one.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My guess is that if you are coming down to AL for Spring Break, then you are going to be in my neck of the woods -- Gulf Shores area. Alabama is a reciprocity state with Arkansas. If you have your permit, then there shouldn't be a problem. Of course, you are in the South and almost everyone seems to have a gun nearby. If you're going to be drinking or doing stupid things, lock it up. You won't be harassed by the local police for carrying unless you are doing either of the 2 things I mentioned. Be cool about it and no one will have a problem.
    sixreagans

"I've read the whole thing from Generations to Revolutions and I like the part about the loafin' and the fishin' the best."

Listen carefully for the sound of banjos...
    1hogfan83 likes this.

I've long grown out of the drinking and bars. I am going down towards Gulf Shores or actually Orange Beach. Taking the 15 and 9 yr old, wife, and inlaws so that part won't be an issue.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Iím going to be traveling from Arkansas to Alabama for vacation next week for Spring Break. I havenít decided the exact route yet but could be crossing through Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, and of course will be staying in Alabama. Iíve pulled up and printed out the laws of the different states from Handgunlaw.us. However, I would like to ask for advice, opinions, potential problems or things to look out for from some of you with specific experience in or living in these states. Any places, especially in Alabama, that I should avoid even if not specific in the guidelines? Law Enforcement attitudes, etc?
    Only thing with TN if there is a No Gun sign in the shop window you should honor it. No guns bars either.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Welcome to Pack-N-Go, Your Concealed Carry CCW Trip Planner

Not sure how up-to-date it is, but it's another resource. I'd be sure to print out all the stuff from HandgunLaw.US just to bone up on as you travel from state to state.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    Welcome to Pack-N-Go, Your Concealed Carry CCW Trip Planner

Not sure how up-to-date it is, but it's another resource. I'd be sure to print out all the stuff from HandgunLaw.US just to bone up on as you travel from state to state.
    Got all of them printed and in a binder ready to go.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    Only thing with TN if there is a No Gun sign in the shop window you should honor it. No guns bars either.
    Actually, guns are legal in bars, you just can't drink while carrying.

I've carried in many bars in TN, I chose to be the D.D.

Have a good time and stay safe.

I am from Ohio and me and my dad we going to Florida so we called the state troopers of each state and asked them what their laws wer. I can only remember Tennessee because he made me laugh when he told us "we don't give a sh** if u have guns just please let us know if we pull u over". I gotta a good laugh at it lol. Sry I can't help with any of the other states but I would just call like we did, it only took a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer2213 View Post
    I am from Ohio and me and my dad we going to Florida so we called the state troopers of each state and asked them what their laws wer. I can only remember Tennessee because he made me laugh when he told us "we don't give a sh** if u have guns just please let us know if we pull u over". I gotta a good laugh at it lol. Sry I can't help with any of the other states but I would just call like we did, it only took a few minutes.
    Thanks. Sounds like a good ole boy but I sure wouldn't want to bet my gun and life on what he said. The trooper that stops me might not be as easy going.

VIP Member
    It sounds like you've done ample research, have a good trip and be careful.

I can't think of any nuances here, we are "must inform". It seems the laws are a bit confusing here on whether you can CC in places where alcohol is served. My personal rule of thumb if minors are not allowed, and/or smoking is allowed then I don't CC there. It has to do with the what Class of alcohol license they have. Short story, CCing at a bona-fide restaurant that serves alcohol in the restaurant is ok, but don't go in the bar area of that restaurant. BTW don't go in a bar/lounge CCing, they'll definitely have the Class license that is prohibited.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks. Sounds like a good ole boy but I sure wouldn't want to bet my gun and life on what he said. The trooper that stops me might not be as easy going.
    True but we mad sure we take to a superior in charge at their office. I have a bunch of friends in Tennessee and visit frequently, they are pretty relaxed on their gun laws it seems. There was actually a lady that carried a loaded shotgun into a walmart in Scott county. She was yelling and causing a scene and people just kept on shopping. It took forever for someone to even call the cops. When they for there judging by her actions they thought she was trying to get them to just kill her. I'm not 100% sure but if I remember right a cop walked up to her and told her to calm down and jerked the gun from her hands and they sent her to the nut house. Bot the best idea for the cop in my opinion but it shows relaxed a lot of those good ole boys are

Handgunlaws.us is great. Having each states section printed out in a binder for reference worked out great. Especially since we got off track and ended up hitting 5 states. I looked everywhere we stopped and didn't see anything posted. I was curious about Cracker Barrell but we ended up not stopping there. The concealed carry really made me think about speed laws though because I didn't want to see how LEO's would act. Maybe that's undo nervousness by a new cc person.

Sponsored Links