Help on gun issue

Help on gun issue

This is a discussion on Help on gun issue within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently bought a new Beretta 9mm PX4 Storm Sub Compact. The first time I went to the shooting range with it, it jammed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help on gun issue

Help on gun issue

I just recently bought a new Beretta 9mm PX4 Storm Sub Compact. The first time I went to the shooting range with it, it jammed about 4 or 5 times. I just shot 50 rounds.

I was using Federal 115 gr. FMJ ammo. Just wondering has anyone else had any problems with this ammo?

Also twice the slide didn't lock back on the last round which makes me think that it could possibly be the magazine hanging up a little. Would anyone advise lubing it a little, if so what would be the best to use?

I really like this gun, but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhen View Post
    I just recently bought a new Beretta 9mm PX4 Storm Sub Compact. The first time I went to the shooting range with it, it jammed about 4 or 5 times. I just shot 50 rounds.

I was using Federal 115 gr. FMJ ammo. Just wondering has anyone else had any problems with this ammo?

Also twice the slide didn't lock back on the last round which makes me think that it could possibly be the magazine hanging up a little. Would anyone advise lubing it a little, if so what would be the best to use?

I really like this gun, but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks
    For starters, click here: Beretta Px4 Storm Service and see if your gun is covered under this recall.

Thanks JD, but no mine is not effected by this recall

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    ^^^ That^^^
    If it's not under recall, I'd clean it really well and lube it and try it again. Maybe try a different brand of ammo. If it still jams, I'd call Beretta.
    I had to have some warranty work on a Sako rifle magazine (it went through Beretta) I was impressed with their customer service. They treated me more than fair. I don't think you have anything to worry about, they'll take care of it.
    It's just the inconvenience of it.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Since you are not covered by the recall I suggest a thorough cleaning including the magazine, lube per manufacturers instructions and run another 150 rounds through it. Some pistols need a little break in period, hopefully that is all yours needs.
    HotGuns likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thanks guys

Try some Nato 124gr ammo, Should make it work JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Thanks Hogdaddy, I was wondering if 115 gr might be too weak with it being a brand new gun.

If it won't fire 115 it needs to go back.
    True some Auto need to have a few rounds run throw them before they function 100%. Run run a few more through it , if it don't straighten up back it goes.
    It should fire any quality ammo.

Senior Moderator
    Most manufacturers reccomend any where from 150-300 rounds be fired for a break in period.

Most problems will be taken care of by just shooting the heck out of them. The rest of the problems can be attributed to a magazine that has issues. Its rare that a new gun has other issues, but it can happen.

Over the years I've bought several pistols that were cheap because the owner didnt take the time to read the owners manual. I've bough several milsurps that didnt work right because cosmoline gunked up the firing pin to the point that it wouldnt shoot. A good cleaning fixed them.

A lot of people give up on a gun because they cant get through the first couple of magazines without some sort of hangup. Thats OK too, you can sell it to me for less than half price and I will make it shoot.
    Bark'n likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys, No Hotguns I love this gun. I'll put a few more boxes through it. I'm sure its not a big deal. I took it back apart and oiled it a bit.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have a px4 and before I shoot it the first time I cleanded and oiled have shoot many winchester white bo thru it with out any errors past the 50 rounds thru it.. Good luck...I took my buddy out two weeks ago and his favorite gun was the Px4...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Since you are not covered by the recall I suggest a thorough cleaning including the magazine, lube per manufacturers instructions and run another 150 rounds through it. Some pistols need a little break in period, hopefully that is all yours needs.
    This sums up my advice.

I would argue that shooting it more might help. Try getting used to it and seeing if it is you. Have someone else shoot it to make sure it isn't you.

If it was the ammo below, my Nano didn't care for it either. I had 5 FTE's out of 50 with it. For WWB, I had 1 FTE. For RWS 124gr, 0 FTE's. And 0 FTE's for SD ammo I have run through it.

Federal Champion.jpg

My advice:

-Field strip the gun.
    -Clean off existing oil/grease on slide, barrel, recoil spring/rod, frame.
    -Clean barrel with solvent, inspect feed ramp and clean that nicely too.
    -Add new grease (or light coating of oil if that's your preference) to the frame/slide, recoil rod, outside of barrel/chamber. I like Milcomm TW25B grease.
    -Put gun back together
    -Take magazines apart and clean them. Sometimes the manufacturer puts so much oil on these things that they can barely move!!
    -Without magazine in gun, rack slide manually back and forth 100 or 200 times.
    -Field strip and inspect. Any significant wear points beyond normal metal to metal contact? Too much grease in some spots? Get to know where metal to metal contact is on this gun and put a light layer of lube on that area too.
    -Shoot a couple of boxes.

The ammo you're shooting is cheap but should be pretty darn reliable. If it can't shoot 115 FMJ after cleaning/lubing/break-in then it's defective.
    Bark'n and TVille like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links