Toddlers killed in accidental shootings

This is a discussion on Toddlers killed in accidental shootings within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Toddler Julio Segura-McIntosh Shoots Self: Third Washington Gun Accident In 3 Weeks This is senseless and tragic. I don't know that more legislation would do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Toddlers killed in accidental shootings

Toddlers killed in accidental shootings

Toddler Julio Segura-McIntosh Shoots Self: Third Washington Gun Accident In 3 Weeks

This is senseless and tragic. I don't know that more legislation would do anything--how do you inflict more punishent on someone who has lost a child? I believe we have to police ourselves--discuss these safety issues. It seems simple to me--DON"T LET TODDLERS PLAY WITH GUNS. How do those of you who have small children deal with this? They didn't have CC here when my kids were small. I kept my guns in a safe and my bedside gun in a pushbotton lockbox. I don't know how I would handle it now....I doubt that I would carry all the time.

2. Remove Ads

Having a CCW does not mean your responsible, mature, knowledgeable or safe. Neither does being a father. These tragic incidents are preventable and the ugly truth is that we can't prevent them. There will always be those who exercise poor judgement, have poor boundaries and lack maturity. The victims were dependent upon them and they betrayed them. The guns simply bore witness to this betrayal.

Perhaps I'm sounding self-righteous or intimating I'm above stupid and I assure you I'm not. I made a conscious decision to be responsible for something that can kill a human being. Its not a hobby. Its not a passing fancy. Its not a testimony to my manhood. Its an instrument that doesn't care how, when or where it may be used or abused. And for this I am responsible.

It just angers me to the depths of my dam soul to hear about young children who were betrayed.

/rant
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Distinguished Member
    As I wrote in several other places, you can't legislate stupid. Stupid will always be with us and unfortunately people do stupid things and sometimes those stupid things cause tragedy to occur. Not good, but nothing you can legislate can fix that.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Senseless and tragic is absolutely right. I frequently torture myself reading about tragedies like that. I don't enjoy seeing others suffer but it reminds me of how quickly it could happen. In the blink of an eye the center of your world can be dead.

I carry most of the time, both in the house and out in public. My 12 and 4 year olds both know about the guns and not to mess with them. With the exception of my carry gun, all weapons remain unloaded and in the safe. A loaded gun is either in my holster or locked up. At home it goes in a bio safe for easy access. In the car it goes in the safe mounted in the trunk. In the rare occasion that I set it down outside the safe I put the mag in my pocket and set it down with the slide locked back. And I still keep it within arm's reach.

I hope the parents can find a way to live with themselves and the rest of us learn from their mistakes and never have to live through such a tragedy.
    Eldon Hickey likes this.

I agree that further legislation won't change carelessness or punish the parents more than the punishment of outliving their child. Hopefully, anyone who thinks that this won't happen to them will rethink things. My gun is either on me or locked up. I've taught my kids as best as possible that guns are not toys, but when it comes down to it, they're just kids.
    Eldon Hickey likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Nothing you can do to inflict more pain than losing a child. I lost my first daughter due to an illness, nothing anyone could have done to make me feel any worse, and we had no way to stop this. We had her at the hospital at the first sign of a problem, and she died an hour later with six doctors standing right there trying to figure out what was wrong. I can not imagine the pain if it had been caused by something that I had control over.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I just got into a "facebook" discussion over this very story. This is so sad, but someone on my cousins page after she posted it, was calling for more gun laws - The pain of a loosing a child is more painful than one can imagine. The punishment that one can put themselves through after an incident like this is worse than any judgement society can hand out. It is the knee jerk reaction of more legislation that scares me.
    Eldon Hickey likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

My daughter is 3 and she allready knows more gun safety then most adults
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Its an instrument that doesn't care how, when or where it may be used or abused.

Olympia will probably pass some ridiculous laws to further demonize the gun community. Laws that would have never prevented those 3 deaths anyways.

It's amazing what kids get into... If you want something found, just ask your kids... They know where everything is in the house... I can see new parents with toddlers think they secured the weapon in a safe place then this happens... Yes a bio safe will be the most convenient and effective, for both handguns and long guns. Yes they are expensive but it's worth the peace of mind... Teaching kids about weapons safety is not a question is a must when there is weapons in the house.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    In a few months, drownings will increase. Are we going to outlaw pools? It is indeed tragic, but more laws will not make careless individuals responsible.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    As I wrote in several other places, you can't legislate stupid. Stupid will always be with us and unfortunately people do stupid things and sometimes those stupid things cause tragedy to occur. Not good, but nothing you can legislate can fix that.
    Heck, I have seen videos where LEOs and instructors have discharged firearms accidently while teaching a class. The range I go to is pockmarked on its walls with large calibre holes at locations that defy your senses--when I asked, I was told they happened during a practice session with LEOs. As others and you have said--very tragic and there is nothing you can do to the adult or with the law that brings the child back.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derffg View Post
    bay
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I have twin 4 year olds and the rules are that they can ask to see or touch any gun in the safe anytime they want, and when we go shooting they can see me shoot any one they want, and even help load and shoot (and clean!) them. It gets to be a pain when trying to get them herded up and ready and they want to look at something, but we do it anyway. They each have rifles of their own and have "helped" me gunsmith them. I was a proud dad when my daughter told me the difference between a clip and a magazine. I have tested each one of them with a deactivated gun in the house. My daughter ignored it, my boy asked me to move it to the safe so it would be out of his way. My wife and I have a routine of securing guns in the safe that makes sure they aren't available and we are able to double check each other. I caught my son climbing on top of the fridge when he was just over 3, I imagine he won't be able to break into the Liberty safe until he's at least 9 or 10.

I have good kids, and a reasonably good system. Wife and I own around a hundred guns, and I double check everything every day because I can't afford to risk their safety.
    stancehold likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links