Why carry extra magazines?

This is a discussion on Why carry extra magazines? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Outside of law enforcement, why do some of you carry mutiple magazines? I'm just say'n, the 17 I have in the gun should be enough, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Why carry extra magazines?

Why carry extra magazines?

Outside of law enforcement, why do some of you carry mutiple magazines? I'm just say'n, the 17 I have in the gun should be enough, I think, to get me out of trouble if it arises. I carry a G36 sometimes with a 6/1 capacity and I feel OK about it. Not criticizing anyone for their carry habits but damn, just reading some old posts and some people want to carry over a box of ammo when they step out.

2. Remove Ads

What if you have a malfunction? What if you're jumped by a gang? What if your nerves and adrenaline go crazy, and your first shots miss the target? What if you have a protracted fight, having to use cover? Would 17 rounds be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    What if you have a malfunction? What if you're jumped by a gang? What if your nerves and adrenaline go crazy, and your first shots miss the target? What if you have a protracted fight, having to use cover? Would 17 rounds be enough?
    That's a lot of "what ifs", but I guess in those cases, nope, wouldn't be enough.

The biggest reason is that most malfunctions are caused either by the magazine itself or can be easily fixed by a quick tap rack new magazine.... that's why.

Will I get in a situation that I really NEED extra ammo from more magazines... probably not. But I'd hate to have a gun in my hand and a magazine with a bad spring or a baseplate that exploded on me right when I needed it.

Dropping an extra mag in the pocket is a 2 second process that could be a game changer... it's worth it FOR ME.... for others though... it's their call.
    Rockymonster, Secret Spuk and sgb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greencobra View Post
    That's a lot of "what ifs", but I guess in those cases, nope, wouldn't be enough.
    Its already a big "what if" that you will need your gun, so it seems to me that if the highly unlikely "what if" that you will need a gun is enough to get you to carry one, the other "what ifs," albeit unlikely, should carry some weight as well.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

This question comes up pretty frequently.

For autopistols, the most common cause of failure to function properly is magazine-related. You need to carry a spare.

Glocks are know for their reliability, right? Well, my partner in Tuesday Night Steel shoots a G35. The gun simply never, ever hangs up, just runs like a sewing machine. Well, 2 weeks ago, on the 2nd or 3rd shot at one target in a stage, the baseplate of his magazine just popped out, followed by a spring, a follower, and a dozen or more rounds. No warning, no clue, just - poof! OK, so a speed reload with the spare magazine put him back into business in a flash. You need to be prepared for the unexpected.

No matter what defensive arm you carry - a Smith & Wesson Model 29 or a Baby Browning, or anything in between - carry spare ammo.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'm a firm believer in carrying an extra magazine. However it has nothing to do with round count. The weakest link with any semi-auto pistol is the magazine. It easier and faster to drop a magazine and insert another, than to fiddle with the one giving you problems.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Some malfunctions such as double feeds are likely caused by the magazine. My first mag only holds 10 rounds for concealment purposes. I like to have a reload because of that to. In this day and age and economy people are getting more violent and there's usually at least 2 people involved. In the real world there is none of that square range, two shots and reaccess. You are going to be moving, they're going to be moving, and then you have adrenaline dump. All of that is going to affect accuracy. I figure at least 2-3 shots mininium per attacker.

Remember that mall shooting in Utah a couple of years ago? There was an off duty Officer carrying a 1911 with 8 rounds. I read an interview with him. He said it took all 8 rounds and when he got to the last round he started to get nervous and prayed that he would get through the encounter. Fortunately he said that after that last shot it took care of the situation and help arrived shortly after. I never heard of anyone involved in a critical incident wish they had less ammo. At my last job we were told to scan the area after shooting, to reload, and that a full gun is a happy gun.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    Why do you wear a seatbelt? Why do you carry a spare tire in your car? Do you have a fire exstinguisher in your house? Those are all what if's to.

As has been said already the act of carry extra mags is not just for the ammo. In the event of a malfunction and you need to strip the mag you are going to need another mag to replace it.

To each his own though if you dont feel you need to don't, but I think you will find that it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

For me this issue is not whether I will need the spare magazine during the intital engagement, but that I don't want to be sitting around with and empty gun while I wait for the cops to show up....
    10thmtn and Secret Spuk like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greencobra View Post
    Outside of law enforcement, why do some of you carry mutiple magazines? I'm just say'n, the 17 I have in the gun should be enough, I think, to get me out of trouble if it arises. I carry a G36 sometimes with a 6/1 capacity and I feel OK about it. Not criticizing anyone for their carry habits but damn, just reading some old posts and some people want to carry over a box of ammo when they step out.
    In case I need to re-load. Like many things in life, it is much better to have entirely too much than to not have nearly enough.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

As has been mentioned, in case of a malfunction. A semi-auto with a defective mag is rather useless.

Also, I have found that when carrying a medium-large semi-auto, a mag or two on my left side helps to balance out the weight better on the belt, so that I don't walk around in circles all day.
    zacii, BurgerBoy and Charles07 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    You ask a lot of "what ifs". If you are not an experienced LEO or Dirty Harry, the answer to all of your what ifs is YOU DIE, PROBABLY WITH YOUR OWN FIREARM.

I carry a 6 round revolver. I also carry a speed loader with 6 rounds on my person. I've been around long enough to know you can never anticipate what may or may not happen on the streets. Not a thing wrong with carrying extra ammo.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired Private Detective
    S&W Model 19 2.5" .357

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Tough question. There's at least two ways to look at it.

1. A 5-round revolver will probably be enough gun if you are a non-LEO civilian. You don't have to "end" the fight, you don't have to dispatch all the bad guys. In almost every possible conceivable scenario, the moment you fire the first shot, whoever you are shooting at will in all likelihood turn and go away. If there's 6 or more BGs, all of them will be running for it. Because nobody wants to have a bullet in the face.

2. In the blog by that guy Ferfal, Survival in Argentina, he recounts getting into a gun battle while driving in his car. The guys in the car behind him are shooting, he's trying to shoot back as best he can, he says "In a situation like this, you can't have enough ammo."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links