Texas and Arkansas questions - Flying out of BWI

This is a discussion on Texas and Arkansas questions - Flying out of BWI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks like I was voulenteered to go to the Texarkana area in April. My company needs my expertise in setting up a new warehouse for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Texas and Arkansas questions - Flying out of BWI

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Looks like I was voulenteered to go to the Texarkana area in April. My company needs my expertise in setting up a new warehouse for my company. I won't be carrying on company time because ill be on Federal property, but after hours I'm free to roam around. I'd like to get a low down on Texas and Arkansas CC laws. I know they are not OC states, 30.06 signs hold legal weight and Texas is a castle doctrine state. That is all I know about it. I read up on handgun law, but I'd like to get an ad lib version from members here.

Specifically these:
    1. Are either a duty to inform state?
    2. Are bars and resturants w/ alcohol off limits?

Thanks. Also I'm flying out of BWI, has anyone ever declared a firearm there and how did it go? Any problems being in Maryland?

I will be traveling alone when I go.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Looks like I was voulenteered to go to the Texarkana area in April. My company needs my expertise in setting up a new warehouse for my company. I won't be carrying on company time because ill be on Federal property, but after hours I'm free to roam around. I'd like to get a low down on Texas and Arkansas CC laws. I know they are not OC states, 30.06 signs hold legal weight and Texas is a castle doctrine state. That is all I know about it. I read up on handgun law, but I'd like to get an ad lib version from members here.

Specifically these:

Thanks. Also I'm flying out of BWI, has anyone ever declared a firearm there and how did it go? Any problems being in Maryland?

1) Duty to inform
    2) Off limits if 51% of the income comes from the sale of alcohol; should have a posted red 51 Sign. I know in the
    past that if you went into a 51 place that didn't have a sign you still could get in trouble; I'm uncertain if they
    fixed that in recent years. I stay away from such places. Guns and alcohol don't mix IMO.
    3) Do you have a Maryland CHL? If not you will get in trouble the instant you try to check your gun.
    4) Do you have in addition to your Maryland CHL a license which Texas will recognize? e.g., FL If not,
    you might get in trouble when you check in at BWI.

You must make sure you are legal where you start from and legal where you end up. Make certain that you have a license TX and Arkansas will both recognize (in Texarkansas you may never know for sure which state you are in). Make sure you are
    legal in Maryland; and depending on where you start driving to the airport from, that you are legal in DC (Ha Ha), legal in
    Delaware, PA, VA?

There's lots for you to double and triple check on before you go to the airport.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'm from PA and I have my PA, FL, NH and ME permits. I've never checked a firearm at an airport and I hear conflicting stories out of BWI.

Thanks. Also I'm flying out of BWI, has anyone ever declared a firearm there and how did it go? Any problems being in Maryland
    Call the Airport immediately. I have flown in and out of BWI many times, I grew up in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. I believe BWI has a no gun policy point blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    2) Off limits if 51% of the income comes from the sale of alcohol; should have a posted red 51 Sign. I know in the
    past that if you went into a 51 place that didn't have a sign you still could get in trouble; I'm uncertain if they
    fixed that in recent years. I stay away from such places. Guns and alcohol don't mix IMO.
    It's only if 51% of income comes from the sale of alcohol for on premise consumption. Meaning bars and restaurants that are more for an older crowd.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer_Heaven View Post
    Call the Airport immediately. I have flown in and out of BWI many times, I grew up in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. I believe BWI has a no gun policy point blank.

It's only if 51% of income comes from the sale of alcohol for on premise consumption. Meaning bars and restaurants that are more for an older crowd.
    Uh, yes to the fact that 51 is for on site drinking and not for package stores. I don't get the point of the comment
    about older crowd. Don't young people go out to places that serve drinks and food; and get the bulk of their income
    from the liquor sales? I can't imagine they don't.

And for the visitor's benefit, there are lots of places that have signs which state that the unlicensed possession of a weapon on the premises is a felony. These are places like
    restaurants which serve beer, wine, mixed drinks too. They won't have the 51 sign because their income is primarily derived from the food service, but you must be licensed to legally carry
    in these places.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    I can only speak for Arkansas.

Yes, you must inform if stopped.

Resturaunts that derive more than 60% of income from the sale of food are good to go.
    This means that any place like Applebees,Lone Star, Red Lobster, any place that serves beer or wine is good to go.

Some of these places have bars. You can not sit at the bar.

If its a bar, you cannot carry. A rule of thumb is that if you can smoke there, its a bar, if you cannot smoke its a resturaunt.

Here the only legal requirement for "no guns" is that a sign must be able to be read from 10 feet, there is no standard format, but fortunatley you wont see many if at all.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I'm from PA and I have my PA, FL, NH and ME permits. I've never checked a firearm at an airport and I hear conflicting stories out of BWI.
    Checking in @ Baltimore (and getting to BWI itself are where you will have problems. Your various licenses must be
    good for Delaware (I assume you'll drive I-95) and for Maryland. If you go to the Maryland airport without a
    permit which allows you to carry in Maryland you will probably get in trouble. If you try to check in at a TX airport to go
    back to BWI, it is possible someone will prevent you from doing so if you lack a license good in Maryland; or they will be
    really nice and call ahead so you get arrested when you pick up your stuff in Baltimore. At least you'll be in jail closer to home.

I know that sounds nasty and sarcastic, but reading tales of woe here for many years one doesn't want to see
    another innocent mess themselves up through ignorance.

Support HR 822 to stop these problems. Contact your Senator and ask them to support The Senate version of HR 822.
    Use the search function to find the threads dealing with that issue.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    The Arkansas and Texas parts are the easy stuff. The getting a gun to the airport in Baltimore is what is going to be tricky. Driving through MD with your gun is easy enough to do, by following federal law, but since you are stopping in Baltimore to change mode of transportation, it may become questionable. If at all possible, I'd re-book my flight out of either Philly or Dulles IAP. Dulles is located in NoVA so your legal traveling through MD with a gun as long as you follow federal law.
    Hopyard and Outer_Heaven like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

everything you need to know about carrying in TX and AK can be found at Handgunlaw.us

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    everything you need to know about carrying in TX and AK can be found at Handgunlaw.us
    I just used this for my trip which went through 5 states. Printed out each states section and put it in a binder for reference of dos and donts.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar

Specifically these:

As Hopyard has said, MD will the problem. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The Arkansas and Texas parts are the easy stuff. The getting a gun to the airport in Baltimore is what is going to be tricky. Driving through MD with your gun is easy enough to do, by following federal law, but since you are stopping in Baltimore to change mode of transportation, it may become questionable. If at all possible, I'd re-book my flight out of either Philly or Dulles IAP. Dulles is located in NoVA so your legal traveling through MD with a gun as long as you follow federal law.
    What I put in bold. Book it out of Philadelphia where your PA license is good. Don't book out of Dulles because
    you have to drive through Maryland to get there; I have no idea if Dulles is in VA, if your license is good in Va,
    or if you would have to drive through DC to get to Dulles. Too much to concern yourself with. Keep it simple.
    Start at Philadelphia, I know PA recognizes TX licenses and assume it goes the other way too (check on that), and
    my guess is that Arkansas recognizes PA licenses (again check). So, going and coming from PHL would solve
    all of your problems as far as the gun stuff goes. You'd be legal across the broad. Legal where you started. Legal where
    you stopped. Legal in TX, and legal in Arkansas.
    Andrew Jackson

stop guessing and just go to www.handunlaw.us and know what's what regarding the laws

Hopyard, Dulles is in Va. I have flown in and out of there without any problems. I don't believe BWI would be a problem because the op is still on his journey to a legal destination. MD is not like the Port Authorities in NY or Jersey. To the OP contact the MD state police and BWI and ask for their policies.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Depending on where you are in Pa. You can drive down I-81 to get to Va, which puts you in Md. for only a few short miles.

Read up on the links provided, and call the carriers and TSA office at the airports you plan to fly in and out of. I'd avoid the 1-800 customer service lines. They have general info and may not have information on specific airports.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links