Legal or Illegal

This is a discussion on Legal or Illegal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other evening while enjoying the great weather we have had in central Ohio, I observed two neighbours looking at one of the neighbours hand ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Legal or Illegal

Legal or Illegal

The other evening while enjoying the great weather we have had in central Ohio, I observed two neighbours looking at one of the neighbours hand guns. This was all taking place outside infront of neighbours house which is across the street from me. Neighbour(1) owns the gun, handed it to neighbour(2) he proceeds to aim it up the street between houses. Legal or Illegal . This has also happened with rifles. Should LEO be called?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Unsure of Ohio law it is probably legal but in my opinion a stupid thing to do and will undoubtedly result in a MWAG call and a lot of explaining.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Let me see. If I understand the setting, the HO is showing a friend/acquaintance some of his arsenal - on his own property. They aimed the gun up the street and not at any house or persons. No shots were fired and, from what you posted, I doubt you know if any rounds were even on hand let alone in the weapons.

Maybe the HO was trying to sell some of his guns, maybe he was just showing them to a friend. Given that he 1. did not shoot anybody, 2. did not appear to aim at anybody and 3. may not have even had ammo in the weapons, why do you want to call the cops?
    Hopyard, archer51 and First Sgt like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Ksholder thanks for you feedback. First of all no one was shoot, thankfully. Second neighbor did not appear to aim the gun at anyone, and number three I do not presume from 25 yards away that the gun is or is not loaded. Unfortunately not good vibes from either neighbor, for quite some time , or I would have walked across the street and discussed it with them. They are both unapproachable. Oh ya msgt/ret what does MWAG stand for?

MWAG- man with a gun
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Thanks, duh.

You better stay out of gun stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Bear in mind I am not a lawyer, and didn't stay at a holiday in express.

But in Ohio open carry is legal, and if they didn't point it at anyone, or threaten anyone with it, then it doesn't sound illegal to me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

HELL NO DON'T CALL THE COPS! The guys are doing nothing illegal or threating anyone. Chill out man.
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I don't know how many times I've sat on my porch or a friends porch for some show and tell where we've aimed at some inanimate object in the distance.

My guess is legal.

In Ohio, if their actions caused "inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm" it would fall under disorderly conduct. It may also fall under inducing panic, or even aggravated menacing if it involved threats of bodily harm to someone. (not saying they did any of these)

Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I don't see any reason to call the police unless they were clearly acting in a threatening or menacing manner.
    cman74 likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

No idea of the laws in your State but where I'm at its pretty normal activity. Especially during the hunting season and after Christmas when someone gets a new firearm as a present. You would of really freaked is you had seen me last week when I slung a rifle over my shoulder and rode my bike down the street to show my friend the new gun I bought.

Michael

VIP Member
    Get yours, walk on over and ask if you can see theirs and if they would like to see yours.
    Be sure about exactly how you say that so there's no misunderstanding about what yours and theirs' mean.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I definitely think they need more gun safety training at the very least and to be wise about not pointing any weapon ... loaded or NOT ... at any area that might be populated. Remember the 4 rules.
    cman74 likes this.

VIP Member
    Going on just by what was in the OP, I don't see anything illegal in what was going on. Perhaps not the smartest place to be checking out guns, but that's about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links