Study Finds "Packing a Gun Makes You Think Everyone Else Is Too"

This is a discussion on Study Finds "Packing a Gun Makes You Think Everyone Else Is Too" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found this little gem on one of the sites I frequent. Check out the article and let's hear your opinion on it. It's also nice ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Study Finds "Packing a Gun Makes You Think Everyone Else Is Too"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar

Study Finds "Packing a Gun Makes You Think Everyone Else Is Too"

Found this little gem on one of the sites I frequent. Check out the article and let's hear your opinion on it. It's also nice to see that most of the comments on the article are bashing it.

Packing a Gun Makes You Think Everyone Else Is Too

There are plenty of reasons not to run round wielding a gun, but here's a new one; holding one makes you think that other people are holding guns, too. And that is not a desirable kind of paranoia to find in someone wielding a weapon.

A study conducted a Notre Dame University found that holding a gun shifts cognitive bias, making a person holding one far more likely to assume that other people are also holding one.

To reach that conclusion, the researchers showed participants partially obstructed images of people and asked them to say whether the person was holding a neutral object—like a soda can or phone—or a gun. Subjects were asked to do it while either holding a gun or a soft foam ball.

Regardless of the image shown—some images showed people in snow masks, for instance, and images displayed a broad range of races—those holding a gun consistently over-estimated the incidence of guns being held in the images. James Brockmole, one of the researchers, explains:

"Beliefs, expectations and emotions can all influence an observer's ability to detect and to categorize objects as guns. Now we know that a person's ability to act in certain ways can bias their recognition of objects as well, and in dramatic ways. It seems that people have a hard time separating their thoughts about what they perceive and their thoughts about how they can or should act."

The researchers suggest that people perceive their surrounding environment in terms of their ability to perform an intended action—so if you're holding a gun, you perceive the world as a gun holder. And if you're gun holder, it seems everyone else must be a gun-holder. Regardless of why it's the case, it's another great reason to clamp down on the availability of firearms. Or to stock up. [University of Notre Dame]

By Jamie Condliffe
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

2. Remove Ads

Interesting, but I would truncate the statement to make it read like this - "Packing a Gun Makes You Think" - because if there's one thing I notice about my own attitude, it's how much more cautiously thoughtful I am when carrying.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    It doesn't make me think that way at all. Sounds like another BS study.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Interesting, but I would truncate the statement to make it read like this - "Packing a Gun Makes You Think" - because if there's one thing I notice about my own attitude, it's how much more cautiously thoughtful I am when carrying.
    Me too. My SA is higher and I feel more confident since I can protect myself and my family.
    carracer likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Actually, the thought has never crossed my mind. I seriously wonder about all these so called studies and polls.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member
    I gotta believe that they didn't get the same results with someone who is highly comfortable with guns, conceals and carries, and has no "fear factor." They probably managed to get the right majority of non-gun owners, people who hate guns, or people who are afraid of guns which skews their study results. I would love to read the entire study to see their entire methodology and how they picked their subjects.
    msgt/ret and 2wheelGnnr like this.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    This study doesn't say anything about "carrying" it's about "holding" as in having the gun in hand. If I have a gun in my hand (other than on the range etc) it's because I've perceived a possible threat which naturally is going to affect how I perceive and evaluate others until such time I determine no threat is present and secure the firearm.

Place a gun in anyone's hand and ask them to evaluate potential threats and then claim the gun makes them paranoid - yea that's scientific
    accessbob likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I gotta believe that they didn't get the same results with someone who is highly comfortable with guns, conceals and carries, and has no "fear factor." They probably managed to get the right majority of non-gun owners, people who hate guns, or people who are afraid of guns which skews their study results. I would love to read the entire study to see their entire methodology and how they picked their subjects.
    Bob,
    I'm SURE that it was entirely random, with no questions about their views on 2A.....yeah right....:rolls eyes:

-Russell
    accessbob likes this.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    in CT 8% of the adult population have a permit.
    perhaps 1 in 4 carry daily.

if i am in a crowd of 100+ adults than it is reasonable to think that i have a friend or 2.
    but im not looking for them and the statement "that is not a desirable kind of paranoia "
    implies that i and other gunnies are paranoid.
    so right there i see some bias in the writting and have to now question the facts that are being gathered by the biased writter...
    Hoganbeg and RevolvingMag like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    I Agree!!!!.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Claud
    I think you're overestimating the percentage of CC permit holders in CT, it's closer to 4.9% of adults.

If 1 in 4 actually carried, that would be a big win.

If you are in that crowd of 100, you may well be the only one (legally) armed.

None the less, I think that so-called study is full of holes.
    accessbob likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I have never felt that way, but since this was a study conducted by Notre Dame I guess I'll have to become more paranoid!

"Stay armed my friends"
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I just thought I'd link you guys to the story. I agree that it has never made me feel that way either. If anything I feel like people are looking at me more than I am worried about looking at them.

I'm having a lot of fun with the comments there though lol.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    This study is just like a poll. Doesn't mean anything. Did you scroll down and look at the comments under the story?

Distinguished Member
    I wondering what kind of control they used. Did they do the same type of experiment to see if holding a soda made you more likely to think someone else is holding a soda? It seems to me that the simple act of holding anything would put that object more prominently in your mind.

From the article, the experiment sounds like this:
    Look at these pictures and tell us what the person is holding.
    OK. Now hold this gun and tell us what the people in the pictures are holding.

/sarc on
    Yeah. that wouldn't have any effect on people's thought process.
    /sarc off

The original article did state that they performed the experiment with other objects like a foam ball. However, I think a gun (even a toy gun) has more emotional effect on people and will produce different results.
    accessbob likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links