A walk in the neighborhood

This is a discussion on A walk in the neighborhood within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having received my CCL just last week, and being a first time gun owner, I was still a bit apprehensive about carrying in public. Last ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: A walk in the neighborhood

A walk in the neighborhood

Having received my CCL just last week, and being a first time gun owner, I was still a bit apprehensive about carrying in public.

Last night was a great night for a walk around the neighborhood. Heading out the door, I decided to go back in and get my gun. I have to start sometime, right? Strapping the holster to my belt, I looked in the mirror and decided that everyone would know it was there. I adjusted the position of the holster - 3 o’clock, 4 o’clock, 2 o’clock, 4 o’clock again, finally deciding on a spot where it would be the least visible (in my mind anyway). Even though I could still see it under my shirt, I decided to take a chance.

Out the door I went, getting about twenty steps down the driveway before I realized that I forgot my wallet, thus forgetting my CCL. Back to the house, grab my wallet and out the door again.

For the first block or so, I found myself checking and tugging at my shirt to make sure the gun was still concealed – it seemed like 15 to 20 times in total. Of course, my shirt was not riding up, but I had an unconscious response to keep checking it. As I turned the corner a car was coming towards me. I just knew they could see the bulge under my shirt. I even turned slightly so my hip was turned back further from their sight. The driver gave me a wave, and I nodded and waved back. As he passed, I felt my hand go back to my shirt – still concealed. A few more cars passed me, and a couple of tugs at the shirt, gun still concealed.

Further down the road, I saw a jogger heading towards me, but on the other side of the street. I was sure he would notice and say something but a quick wave and I was past him, another encounter without incident. A family playing basketball in their driveway, no one noticed that I was carrying. The tugs at the shirt were getting fewer and farther between. More walkers and joggers on the opposite side of the street, and more cars in both directions and no one noticed. I was becoming more comfortable.

As I neared my house, a woman pushing her child in a stroller was walking toward me on the same side of the street. We would pass within a foot or two of each other. Surely she would notice. As we got closer, I let out a somewhat weak “Hello”. “Hi”, she responded with a smile, “Sure is a beautiful night”. “It certainly is”, I replied. Realizing that legally carrying a concealed weapon is my right and easier than I thought. I smiled to myself and thought “It certainly is”.

2. Remove Ads

Most folks are oblivious and have very low SA. If anyone did glance at it they probably thought it was a cellphone attached to your belt.

Welcome to the forum!!!
    carracer likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

It takes time to get used to carrying on a daily basis but most people will never notice you have a gun. Give it some time and when you have to go somewhere that you can't carry, you're going to feel naked.
    carracer, Ally and mano3 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Nam
    Nice post, it gets easier all the time.

Welcome to the forums and to the world of concealed carry! The feeling passes after a while. I still give my shirt an occasional tug, but only after I've made a movement that might have caused it to pinch between gun and skin. Have you got yourself a quality holster like a Crossbreed or Comp-Tac?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

you need to take your wally walk

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    As you describe positioning your holster, I thought of my first time getting positioned. OK now what. I recommend you set aside some money do a little research and get some good training. Believe me at this point you really do not know waht you don't know.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the "new concealed-carry jitters". I think most of us have gone through it.

Elk Hunter gives good advice. For even those of us who've been around guns all our lives, concealed carry brings on a host of new issues that require education and training. Don't forget to pick up a copy of "In The Gravest Extreme" by Mas Ayoob.
    stancehold likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum. Unless you are carrying a tiny little gun, make sure that you buy a quality belt--you will be AMAZED at the difference a good belt makes. I recommend Gun Belts by The Belt Man
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

We have all "felt" that way initially when we get our first taste of concealed carry. However, those jitters and thinking that we have a big neon sign that points to us an boldy displays "Man With A Gun" will disappear with time.

I feel so routine now, I sometimes wonder if I even have a firearm on me.

Don't worry, you are fairly normal when it comes to carry for the first time but carry on!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

And now you know how Cops spot people that may be carrying a gun Legally or Illegally,The only time I mess with my clothing is getting out of the vehicle,I make sure my shirt is covering my holster and mag pouches on the opposite side
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The big question is did you notice the blood running in the street behind you as you carry that instrument of carnage and mayhem among the innocent and pure town folk?

Nah I didn't either. Enjoy you new right and heed the advice above it is all good stuff from mostly good people.

Thanks to all for the advice, suggestions, etc. I realize that it's a bit like learning to drive a car. The first few times you are nervous and apprehensive and are making moves that scream out "Student Driver". These feelings settle down as you get more comfortable and gain confidence.

Wal-Mart here I come.

I have been carrying for about 10 years. When I first started carrying it took me carrying my gun about 5 times before it started to be less stressful.

Here in WI I am pretty blatant about carrying. I will often carry a large frame pistol under a t-shirt just to push my boundaries a bit. I have still not seen anyone notice I am carrying. Give it some time it only get easier.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    It gets easier as each day goes by and you realize it really is concealed.

By the way, I enjoyed reading your post. Felt like I was reading a mystery or an adventure story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links