Denied PPL....Will same thing happen with CCW?

This is a discussion on Denied PPL....Will same thing happen with CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Current residence: Michigan I was denied my PPL today by my local police station due to an incident that happened 13 years ago when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Denied PPL....Will same thing happen with CCW?

Denied PPL....Will same thing happen with CCW?

Current residence: Michigan

I was denied my PPL today by my local police station due to an incident that happened 13 years ago when I was 19 years old. I locked myself in the bathroom because I was crying very hard and didn't want to let my parents in. We had gotten into a screaming match and I wanted nothing but for them to leave me alone. They called 911 and apparently on the police report it says the call was for suicide attempt which wasn't the case one bit. I voluntarily went with EMS to the hospital where I was released about an hour later after a call was placed to my therapist who confirmed I was not a threat to myself. At the time I was seeking treatment for depression which is also stated on the police report.

Fast forward 13 years and this incident/police report comes about and prevents my from getting my PPL. Will the same police report affect me getting my CPL? Then there is of course the wonderful mental illness question on the CPL application so I am not sure how to answer that question as well. I am a stable 33 year old adult now with no criminal history or anything else that would prevent me from getting a CPL. I would really really feel more comfortable if I could practice my right to bear arms rather than carry around a dinky can of pepper spray.

I am going to take a stab and assume the general response will be "get a lawyer who handles CPL cases" but I figured I would ask anyways.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Get a new therapist, Have him/her evaluate you. You should take the report to the county when you fill out the application. If that doesnt work with either the PPL or the CPL. Consult with an attorney to see what else can be done, this will affect your CPL application

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I hate to show my ignorance, but what is a PPL?
    BkCo1 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In our state, any unreported incident on your application will cause an automatic denial. It is not necessarily that there was an incident on record from the past, it is simply that you did not report it on the application. It makes the application seem to be done dishonestly in their opinion. I don't know your states laws or regulations, but here once a 10 year time period has passed, a mental situation such as this is no longer an issue. But, it must be reported honestly on the application if it is anything that will show up on a background check.

Read your states laws and application regulations. Also, seek legal advice from a professional.

Good luck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Not sure either but "Personal Protection License"? please advise. don't we got the 2nd amendment?

Pistol Purchase License or whatever you want to call it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfour View Post
    Pistol Purchase License or whatever you want to call it
    I call that a tax!
    Stubborn, msgt/ret, sid1 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Its a purchase permit. In our lovely state all handguns are registered.....legal handguns that is....

move and take your tax money with you....
    ErnieNWillis, Hopyard and BkCo1 like this.

VIP Member
    If they won't grant you a permit to purchase, I doubt very much they will give you a permit to carry something you can't buy. Your best bet is to have a doctor (not a therapist) give you a written statement that you are not a threat to yourself or anyone else. Once you have that re-apply for your purchase permit and a carry permit. If the doctor statement doesn't suffice, then go the lawyer route.
    oneshot likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If they won't grant you a permit to purchase, I doubt very much they will give you a permit to carry something you can't buy. Your best bet is to have a doctor (not a therapist) give you a written statement that you are not a threat to yourself or anyone else. Once you have that re-apply for your purchase permit and a carry permit. If the doctor statement doesn't suffice, then go the lawyer route.

^I am in this camp^^^^^^^^^^^

As far as therapists are concerned; I GOT NO USE FOR THEM!!!

All these people who thought it was either fashionable to have one, or thought they couldn't deal with McDonald's getting rid of the Mc Rib, or thought their Child would need a therapist because their best friend in the whole wide world was moving away, and "it would help them DEAL with it", are now finding out that all of that psychobabble BS is gumming up their lives.
    These "therapists"& " psychologists" and the like are as bad or worse than an ambulance chasing lawyer.
    What a world we're leaving our kids,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its a purchase permit. In our lovely state all handguns are registered.....legal handguns that is....
    Those are the stupidest things I think there are out there. But if you can't get that, it's probably a sure thing you won't get a CC license.

Become a state legislator and put a bill forward to get rid of that stupid law.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    See a therapist, lose your 2A rights.

I am seeing this happen more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^I am in this camp^^^^^^^^^^^

As far as therapists are concerned; I GOT NO USE FOR THEM!!!

All these people who thought it was either fashionable to have one, or thought they couldn't deal with McDonald's getting rid of the Mc Rib, or thought their Child would need a therapist because their best friend in the whole wide world was moving away, and "it would help them DEAL with it", are now finding out that all of that psychobabble BS is gumming up their lives.
    These "therapists"& " psychologists" and the like are as bad or worse than an ambulance chasing lawyer.
    What a world we're leaving our kids,

Administrator
    A regular MD General Practitioner should be able to provide you with written documentation that you are no longer suffering from (or being treated for) depression.
    Whatever you ultimately do you must tell the truth on your CPL application. Being untruthful on that app is a punishable crime in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Those are the stupidest things I think there are out there. But if you can't get that, it's probably a sure thing you won't get a CC license.

Become a state legislator and put a bill forward to get rid of that stupid law.
    Yep it is stupid. Its one of the areas that the brady bunch rates us highly on. MI is a gun friendly state, but the purchase permit system sucks. At least with a CPL you do not have to get one. You do however have to send the paper work in. Its a lose, lose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links