Carry-Friendly/Unfriendly Location App?

This is a discussion on Carry-Friendly/Unfriendly Location App? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just posted this on another forum and also wanted your input. Does anyone know of an app for android or iphone that allows the the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Thunder71
  • 1 Post By Okemo
  • 1 Post By RightyLefty

Thread: Carry-Friendly/Unfriendly Location App?

Carry-Friendly/Unfriendly Location App?

Just posted this on another forum and also wanted your input.

Does anyone know of an app for android or iphone that allows the the marking of carry-friendly or carry-prohibited businesses and locations?

I'm thinking of something like Trapster or Gas Buddy specifically tailored to mark those locations in your area that for whatever reason prohibit carrying your firearms.

Does anyone have any idea how to build such an app?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

No, but I'm down for being a beta tester/contributor.

Could be like Waze, and be user updatable.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

Love the idea but I wouldn't know where to start to develop one! Sign me up for beta testing!

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    Love the idea but I wouldn't know where to start to develop one! Sign me up for beta testing!
    Ditto
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

A great app would also inform you via alarm if you crossed borders into a hostile state. IE, Vermont to NY. "TURN BACK NOW, YOU'RE IN DANGER OF GOING TO JAIL FOR A LONG TIME."
    W9HDG likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post
    Just posted this on another forum and also wanted your input.

Does anyone know of an app for android or iphone that allows the the marking of carry-friendly or carry-prohibited businesses and locations?

I'm thinking of something like Trapster or Gas Buddy specifically tailored to mark those locations in your area that for whatever reason prohibit carrying your firearms.

Does anyone have any idea how to build such an app?
    Greetings!

I've been an avid reader but this is my first post. (BTW.. I've been enjoying the site tremendously!) Hopefully my post will not be considered spamming as that is certainly my intentions or desire.

While not specifically what you may be looking for, I am in the process of creating a site devoted to a nationwide (US) listing of places where firearms are not permitted. It will rely on user provided submissions to develop the database into what could hopefully become a good go-to place for this type of information.

It is in early beta testing and will be refined and tweaked as necessary. All input & participation is encouraged.

Guns Not Allowed!

Have a safe day!

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    There is an app I use now called CCW. It doesn't have any GPS plotting of gun friendly/unfriendly places to carry like you suggested. It does allow you to enter the state permits you have and it will tell you where you are legal to carry. It will give you the gun laws of a state by clicking on it. Duty to inform LEOs, reciprocity info, transportation laws, prohibited areas etc. all right at your fingertips.

CCW - Workman Applications
    DanielC likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    ^ that would be nice but the laws can sometimes vary from county to county
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    +1 here.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I like the concept, it would be nice to have a 'gun friendly' option as well so we can make a point to visit those places if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MleeC View Post
    Greetings!

I've been an avid reader but this is my first post. (BTW.. I've been enjoying the site tremendously!) Hopefully my post will not be considered spamming as that is certainly my intentions or desire.

While not specifically what you may be looking for, I am in the process of creating a site devoted to a nationwide (US) listing of places where firearms are not permitted. It will rely on user provided submissions to develop the database into what could hopefully become a good go-to place for this type of information.

It is in early beta testing and will be refined and tweaked as necessary. All input & participation is encouraged.

Guns Not Allowed!

Have a safe day!

I like the concept, it would be nice to have a 'gun friendly' option as well so we can make a point to visit those places if possible.
    That's a good point but, at least my neck of the woods, (other than the government placed restrictions on carry) very few establishments are posted as 'No Guns'.

Stay Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by MleeC View Post

Guns Not Allowed!

Have a safe day!
    Hi, MleeC;
    I'd really like to check it out, but the link wouldn't work for me.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Hey, Thunder71. Like MleeC, in our area the map would be covered with 'gun-friendly' locations. We have some that default by law to no-carry (Gov. Buildings, Hospitals, Houses of Worship, business that sell alcohol by the drink, etc.) But, I only know of 3 places in the entire state that post the legal, very specifically defined signage that carries the weight of law. (Let's keep that quiet, though. Wouldn't want those with improper signs to know.)

However, from time-to-time I find a location that is not only gun-friendly, but encourages CWP holders to carry. It would be nice to promote them.

Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post
    Hi, MleeC;
    I'd really like to check it out, but the link wouldn't work for me.
    The site was down for some maintenance this afternoon. Should be up and working now.

Some state gun organizations are the best "bird dogs" for this particular issue.

Take a close look at the gun organizations/associations within your state. You may find just what you are seeking.

Links