North Carolina Ar-15......

This is a discussion on North Carolina Ar-15...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live and work in North Carolina (swan quarter 27875). I have a question about my ar-15 that my administrators at the prison cannot help ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Landric

Thread: North Carolina Ar-15......

North Carolina Ar-15......

I live and work in North Carolina (swan quarter 27875). I have a question about my ar-15 that my administrators at the prison cannot help me with. I have also contacted my local sheriffs department with no concrete answer as well. Im a corrections officer without a concealed carry permit. I own and carry an ar-15 in my vehicle (a quad cab truck). The weapon is secured in a carry case with 2 padlocks and is kept unloaded (a magazine is at times loaded with a few rounds......but not inserted in the weapon). I do however keep this case inside my vehicle in the back seat (unloaded with padlocks engaged) while on the road and within the parking lot of my facility. This weapon is not in plain sight, it is not loaded, and it has two seperate padlocks with the keys on my person.......the case with padlocks is not in plain sight in my backseat,I have tinted back windows and do not consider this in plain as an officer coming from behind in a traffic stop would not be able to see it from most angles . Again it is unloaded and no round is chambered EVER while driving and/or at the prison.

My question is. Is it legal to carry in NC in this fashion?

I believe that the weapon is reasonably out of reach with the 2 padlocks, loaded magazine unloaded ( I do not have a locking glove compartment) and not inserted in the weapon. I not have a trigger guard as yet............I welcome your input. Im an avid shooter and want to keep myself

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to your question, the police in most cases are the last to ask for a straight answer. I'd recommend placing your question to your local DA, or if you can get an answer from the AG even better.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks and that was my next step in this process. I was hoping to get a clear cut answer here from people in similar positions. I will contact them and post my results so hopefully someone elses question may be answered.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    This should apply to long guns as well as handguns - but you should doublecheck

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Parking Lot Storage Law
    Note: Parking Lot Storage Laws are very specific either to place or person who is in control of the firearm. NC does not have a blanket Parking Lot Storage law like other states.

14-269. Carrying Concealed Weapons.
    (4c) Detention personnel or correctional officers employed by the State or a unit of local government who park a vehicle in a space that is authorized for their use in the course of their duties may transport a firearm to the parking space and store that firearm in the vehicle parked in the parking space, provided that: (i) the firearm is in a closed compartment or container within the locked vehicle, or (ii) the firearm is in a locked container securely affixed to the vehicle.
    -------------
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

As far as legal you should be fine, it's not on your person or readily accessible for use while you're driving. My concern would be as to the legality of having it in your vehicle while at work (if I understand you to say you work in a prison) since the laws seem to be specific for law enforcement or correctional "facilities" and not just the buildings housing these entities. This is the question I'd be asking of the AGs office.

VIP Member
    My brother works for NC DOC, if you have a weapon in your vehicle you have to get written permission from the facility head at that prison unit to have it on state prison property. And this permission is for only that facility with that administrator as long as he's the head man there. If a new administrator comes in at that facilty he signs off on each officers permission letter again. You do not want to go through a drug dog/weapon search which occurs at facilities at a moments notice, if you do not have that up todate letter in your vehicle when and if a weapon is found, you will be arrested by local law enforcement and put under investigation which most likely ends in no more job with DOC. And it has happened....my brother states that the letter thing came up because state staff needed a legal way to carry their personnel pistol back and forth from work for protection. Get ur letter from ur head administrator and you will be Ok. Also my brother states that abt everyone at his facility Has their letter to have a weapon in the vehicle on prison property , vehicle locked and weapon hid and secured..Oh he also stated he did not know about long guns because all the ones he knows carry handguns...as I said I'd hate to get caught with it on prison property without a permission letter in hand.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Based on what I have read unless you are in a secured area of the facility, you should be Ok. I am not a lawyer and this is just my opinion based on my understanding, but you meet transport criteria for a rifle so you should be fine. My only question would be where you park at the facility.

VIP Member
    If its state prison property including the parking lot you have to have that letter. Call tomorrow to the Sandy Ridge Transportantion terminal in Kernersville, NC and talk to the lieutenant abt this. You can call ur facility to get that phone number.
    He is the one usually in charge of the tracking bloodhounds, drug dogs, fugitive squad for the piedmont area plus these vehicle searches including the parking lots. He will tell you all abt this permission letter.
    Another thing some of these administrators are anti-gun and will not give permission letters.
    It's all up to which facility you work at.
    Don't believe these people telling you that you should be OK. SHOULD be is too late when ur caught and don't have permission.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

14-269. Carrying Concealed Weapons.
    (4c) Detention personnel or correctional officers employed by the State or a unit of local government who park a vehicle in a space that is authorized for their use in the course of their duties may transport a firearm to the parking space and store that firearm in the vehicle parked in the parking space, provided that: (i) the firearm is in a closed compartment or container within the locked vehicle, or (ii) the firearm is in a locked container securely affixed to the vehicle.
    As listed above, this section of 14-269 was added Dec. 1, 2011 as one of the many changes instituted by HB650 that passed last year. It does not say that one needs permission from the administration to have a firearm in one's vehicle. I have no doubt that was the case before Dec. 1, 2011, and it wouldn't hurt to ask now, but it is clearly legal for you to have a firearm locked up in your vehicle on prison property now.

As a side note, one of the other changes to NC Firearms Statutes was making it a state felony to provide false information to facilitate a firearms transaction (such as lying on the 4473). It was previously not a direct violation of state law to do so, and the feds wouldn't prosecute unless the suspect was someone they were already looking at. I charged someone with falsifying a 4473 last week, and the charge is so new that it wasn't in the state computer system (NCAWARE), so I had to free-text it in. The moral of that story is don't assume that admin at your facility knows about the law change.
    atctimmy likes this.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I do not know about having it on prison property but while you are driving you can have it in plain sight, loaded or unloaded makes no difference. Now if you place it in the back seat and throw your coat on it the you have a concealed weapon in you truck. CHL makes no difference as it is a concealed handgun permit.

At least that is the way I understand it but I am no lawyer.
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

My question would be,do you leave this cased gun in your truck 24/7,there are a lot of guns stolen out of vehicles,some of them even marked police cars.One more thing,if your gonna carry a magazine,you may as well load it to capacity,that way your not guessing how many rounds you have available if the SHTF
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I've learned one thing, I'm going to quit answering forum questions and let others ascertain info since my info is not worth considering...thanks and my last post".."...
    -Thomas Jefferson
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I've learned one thing, I'm going to quit answering forum questions and let others ascertain info since my info is not worth considering...thanks and my last post".."...
    Sorry ya feel that way but hey, life ain't what you always expect.

It appears that the new statute that was quoted trumps needing letters unless you know something else you didn't post so instead of grabbing your toys and going home why not add the info to your repertoire and keep on adding to the forum? If you know of another aspect to this that may be pertinent then say so, don't stomp off in a huff. That's how people learn things.

I know I had forgot about the detention personnel aspects of the new laws but hey, I have it bookmarked now and will most likely remember it next time.

Links