Concealed carry in public places... particularly the mall and restaurants.

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in public places... particularly the mall and restaurants. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am somewhat hesitate to walk in Wal-Mart, the mall or a restaurant with pistol in my pocket. I typically tuck in my shirt and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Concealed carry in public places... particularly the mall and restaurants.

Concealed carry in public places... particularly the mall and restaurants.

I am somewhat hesitate to walk in Wal-Mart, the mall or a restaurant with pistol in my pocket. I typically tuck in my shirt and this would mean I would have to carry it in my pocket, which might be noticeable, which would definitely make me uncomfortable. I can see the mall cops being concerned about someone with a gun in their pocket. Even if I wore my shirt out... or a jacket during cold weather, I would still feel somewhat uncomfortable about someone accidentally seeing it and making an unnecessary scene.

Personally I have been more concerned about home and work, vacation trips (motels)... as well as something happening while traveling, such as a flat, break down of some sort, etc. I have not really even given much thought to carrying otherwise, with the exception of a few instances. My wife and I walk a good bit and I have thought it might be a good thing to carry while walking. There are probably other instances I am not remembering at the moment.

Do you carry in public places like the mall and restaurants? Did you feel uncomfortable initially... and how strong to you feel about the need to carry in public places where there are a lot of people?

2. Remove Ads

The only fear I had while carrying my weapon concealed was the fear of a negligent discharge. Remind yourself that what you are doing is completely legal, and if security or police want to bother you let them know you have your lawyer on speed dial.

Distinguished Member
    Get a holster, check the laws and local laws, use common sense and blend in with the sheep.
    Above all make sure ur completely legal paperwork and all. Pay attention to where u take ur weapon, since it can't go everywhere with you all the time.
    Last edited by Richard58; March 22nd, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
    BugDude, Hieny, DaveH and 2 others like this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

It doesn't bother me. I've open carried my Glock and never had anyone seem to notice.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

I think everyone had the same "someones gonna see it" feeling when they first started carrying concealed. You will get more comfortable with carrying as time goes by but NEVER get complacent about it. I had to do the "wal-mart shuffle" with mine on day one. Thats an hour at wal-mart while carrying concealed.

I have to ask what are you carrying in your pocket and which holster are you using?

There are multiple pocket holsters on the market and most of them break-up the gun print in your pocket well enough that no one would notice it.
    Sarisataka and ASSA9 like this.

If you tuck in your shirt get a Crossbreed supertuck. I had a formal engagement recently, and it was the first time I used mine with a tucked in shirt. I wore a shirt and tie with slacks and my CBST. I was on stage making speeches and no one freaked out or noticed. At least no one said anything and it was a school event. I have never before worn it this way but it gave me even more confidence after the fact. They also have a lifetime guarantee, cant beat that! They are a product member here and that gives you one more reason to use them! I was packing an LC9 at the time and am looking forward to using one for my future 1911 or M&P carry gun.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Gun + school event + California ,,,,hey you all got more rights then us in North Carolina. We CCW licensed can not carry a weapon to a school event....that's a big No No here in my state if its at any type of school.
    BigJon10125, Hieny and ASSA9 like this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

First- know your state laws. If open carry is legal you do not have to worry that you broke any law if someone notices. Be very aware of your no-carry permitted places.

Second- use a good, comfortable holster.

Third- dress around the gun. Are you carrying an NAA .22 or a Desert Eagle .50AE?

My experience was to at first be very nervous. I thought everyone could see the huge bulge. Then I picked up a below the waist holster

It did not take long for me to realize that unless I pulled my pistol out and twirled it like something from a bad western, nobody noticed.
    Over this last winter I used a Beretta 92 as my EDC, not a small piece of metal. Even my wife would ask if I had it with me. Layering is a wonderful fashion style.
    Now that it is warming up I most often carry a J-frame. Usually IWB under a t-shirt. If I need to be tucked I will pocket carry, with a holster, in comfortable pants that have fairly deep pockets. If I absolutely want 100% concealment I pull out the below the waist holster.

I carry everywhere except to my kid's school (felony in MN) or when I go on federal property. My family, a few very close friends know and one other CW carrier- we 'made' each other through SA. We were the only two in the grocery store noticing what was going on around us while shopping

The more you carry, the more normal it will feel. Every time I go outside now it is a four point checklist- wallet, weapon, phone, keys.

Congratulations on starting carrying; make it part of your daily routine.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

VIP Member
    Sonnie first of all welcome to the forum.

I guess everyone is nervous the first time it gets better with time.

I will caution you though about only carrying certain times and places. Yes you have to be aware there are places that you simply cannot carry due to your state laws but other than that you should carry at all times. You will not be the one to choose the time and place of a lethal encounter the BG will. If you attempt to pick and choose when you feel safe enough not to carry the odds will catch you.

The more you carry the more you will become aware of your surroundings and the fact you are carrying. Should you need your firearm you will have it with you at the time of need. Remember there are no do over's or wait just a minute's in an encounter, it happens fast and close so if you are not prepared you may end up on the losing end of it.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

We all have the "will someone make me" feeling when we first carry. It can be made worse by being too paranoid that someone will notice and do things that may give yourself away when someone might not otherwise notice. Truth is most people are caught up in their own little world going about their daily lives and notice nothing of what is happening around them. Check to see you are concealed when get out of the car and leave and act normal. Nobody will be the wiser if don't give yourself away.

VIP Member
    I carry all the time, as long as it is legal to carry where I'm at. As far as people seeing a bulge in your pocket, or under your shirt and "knowing" you have a gun. In 99% of the cases, even if they notice the bulge, they will have no idea you have a gun. In most cases, a slug crawling down the street has more situational awareness. I'm not a proponent of pocket carry, but if you do, carry it in a holster, not just thrown in your pocket.

Remember, criminals don't care where your at, or when, they will take advantage of any chance they have. Be it your home, walking the dog, getting out of your car at the mall or Walmart, they will strike when you least expect it. Be prepared.
    Old School likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Get a good subcompact handgun and a good tuckable IWB holster and carry with you all the time. My way of thinking is when you are out where there are a lot of other people that is where you are more likely to run into one that has ill intentions. The law of numbers. Not carrying all the time is like saying you're just gonna put your seat belt on right before you have an accident. Good gear and a little planning and you can carry all the time and in all places legal.
    Old School and ASSA9 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My gun is always with me. I have been carrying for the last ten years and really don't notice anymore. Here in WI we can open carry if we want to so we have a lot of flexibility. It just takes time wear it every day and in a month it will be just like wearing a wallet.

VIP Member
    I don't have any problem at all. I alway use a holster. I am legal and don't care what any body thinks, ( if I was to print )
    I will not go into any posted areas that don't want weapons. ( even if the sign is not the legal size )

Distinguished Member
    Tucked in shirts don't rule out IWB carrying as long as you have a good holster and don't wear tyour shirts skin tight. Look at the crossbreed supertuck or something similar.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links