WI: Conceal carry in campus area?

This is a discussion on WI: Conceal carry in campus area? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just glanced at the title of another topic and it got me thinking. I live 4-5 blocks from UWO campus. The campus police are ...

Thread: WI: Conceal carry in campus area?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

WI: Conceal carry in campus area?

I just glanced at the title of another topic and it got me thinking. I live 4-5 blocks from UWO campus. The campus police are terrible. They will try to arrest/ticket you for anything and are extremely disrespectful almost to the point of being considered "corrupt". They have even harassed my dad in the past until they realized he is a REAL officer (off duty at the time) and then quickly changed their story. But my question is can you conceal carry near campus? Is it legal to carry on the sidewalk near the campus?

Campus police have a jurisdiction of 1 block from the nearest campus building. Is the sidewalk fair game to carry? parking lots? I try not to even go near it anymore but it's a very large campus and it's hard to avoid.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Wisconsin statute 943.13(1m)(c)5.

(1m) Whoever does any of the following is subject to a Class B forfeiture:
    c5. Enters or remains in any privately or publicly owned building on the grounds of a university or college, if the university or college has notified the actor not to enter or remain in the building while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply to a person who leases residential or business premises in the building or, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of the building used as a parking facility.

As I understand the law, you can carry on the campus grounds outside of any buildings. Now there may be postings at parking lot entrances and such that weapons are prohibited so that could make things tricky.

Thank you. I'll be sure to stay on the sidewalk as much as I can if I ever need to walk through.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

As I write this I am sitting waiting for my MBA class to start at Cardinal Stritch in Milwaukee. My gun is locked in my glove box because the buildings here are posted. You can carry on campus but not within the buildings. It is no different than if your employer was posted. You could still leave the gun in your car. At least that's the way I was informed regarding the law.

Interesting.
    In FL, they are prohibited at all educational "facilities", but the law is not specific as to what that means...buildings? grounds? roads?

We were advised to keep them securely encased within the vehicle (as allowed without CC) and not have to find out.

Yeah, it's always best to not have to find out, but there are times you will get stopped for the stupidest things such as checking if you're out past curfew if you have a hood up or something so they can't see your face. It's happened to me before. Seems more like an excuse to bust you with something. That's campus for you tho.

screw uwo man. those rent a cops are douche nozzles of the first degree. glad i will never have a reason to go near that campus again.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    screw uwo man. those rent a cops are douche nozzles of the first degree. glad i will never have a reason to go near that campus again.
    Yeah I hear ya. Glad there's someone else from Oshkosh on here that understands my rants haha.

yea i grew up here. north hi class of 98. i just moved back, i have been in port washington for the last three years.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Welcome back. Class of 08 here. (also North)

Links