Defensive Carry banner

The wife has spoken... New CC gun for her soon...

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Outer_Heaven 
#1 ·
Well, I know its my fault taking her to the range and trying out all kinds of guns... She was surprised at how much she loves shooting. She does very well with my XDMc and now wants her own gun. Sometime soon, we'll be going to the sheriffs office to apply for her CCP.

She has looked at and fired several guns and two guns came out on top for her... one is the Diamondback DB380 and the other is the S&W 642 Centennial... Her concern is the slide which she feels is too much for her... so she has decided to get an S&W 642 Centennial .38 +P... (I know there are other great guns out there for her... But she is set on the 642) My questions...

1. Should I get the 642 with the crimson tracer or...
2. Should I get the 642 w/o the crimson tracer and buy one (CT) online from ebay to save a few (~$100+) bucks?
3. She knows about no purse carry and she does not wear baggy pants so an ankle holster is not good. I'm thinking an open carry holster since WA is an Open Carry state... or should I have her keep it concealed and go with a conceal belt carry?

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated... thanks...

See less See more
#6 ·
Has she shot a 642? Many people are attracted to it due to it's lite weight but find out the hard way it's not so much fun to shoot due to it's recoil. She may want to also consider a 640 (steel Frame). If possible she needs to shoot what she's considering before she buys it.

#11 ·
I'll second SGB on has she shot one? I have and love my 642 air weight, but even with super mild WC hand loads my wife didn't like the recoil. In fact my 15 y old son says he doesn't like the recoil of it either. Just something to think about...
Yep, I started her out with the 686 then a 640 then the 642 at a local guns for rent indoor range and that is the one she loves to shoot. The grip is perfect for her hand... The minute we got back from the range, I saw she had a website about the 642 and asked whats up... She said she wants the same gun she shot at the range, the 642... So, it won't be a problem. She is now looking at the flashback holster that hooks to the middle of her bra... ;)

#7 ·
I'll second SGB on has she shot one? I have and love my 642 air weight, but even with super mild WC hand loads my wife didn't like the recoil. In fact my 15 y old son says he doesn't like the recoil of it either. Just something to think about...

#8 ·
The light weight guns are for more seasoned shooters, but they are easier to carry. I'll bet she'll like shooting the 3" SP101 with light 38's, but not the extra weight for concealed carry. When she knows the trade-offs, she can make the decision.

#10 ·
I'll bet she'll like shooting the 3" SP101 with light 38's, but not the extra weight for concealed carry.
My hubby tried hard to convince me that the SP101 was the best "for me" but yeh, a little big for concealed carry for my liking. I told him to get me one for my BD for fun. He thinks he's created a monster but likes that I now like to go "shopping" with him... ;)

#9 ·
Good deal gettin your wife to shoot with you. I wish I could get mine to do so. Good choice of guns tho the smith over the diamond back. I havent heard much about them yet but a 38 +p would be a better although I sometimes carry a bersa thunder 380 for summer. Once I get my m&p9c broke in that will probably be my main carry or when times dictate a smaller gun either the bersa or my kel-tec p-32 will be with me. Enjoy your new guns and congrats on getting your wife to shoot with you.

#13 ·
Very similar story to yours, took my wife shooting a couple years ago to reintroduce her to it.

Needless to say she loves it, got her concealed carry permit and she wanted the Ruger LCP, that is until she discovered the Ruger LCR.

I got her the LCR in .357 Magnum for her birthday. The reason for the heavy caliber is that it can handle .38spl and the +P ammo as well. You don't have to shoot .357 as much, it can be used solely for defensive purpose.

Actually the LCR is in my opinion the finest small revolver out there. The trigger pull is so gentle, you almost do not know you are pulling it. The .357 is a tad heavier than the .38spl but not to the degree it cannot be handled. My wife loves it. So do I and I kind of want one too.

Go to a gun shop and let her handle one and I bet she loves it too.

#15 ·
My wife has 642 Airweight with CT grips. They are nice, but be aware you can not see the red laser outside in the sun light. In a parking garage in daylight you will be fine, but not in direct sunlight. My wife is wanting a 1911 chambered in 9mm, she don't like my .45's. She shoot's the snot out of my Ruger P95 and does fairly well with it. You done the best thing and let her pick what she wanted.

#16 ·
3. She knows about no purse carry and she does not wear baggy pants so an ankle holster is not good. I'm thinking an open carry holster since WA is an Open Carry state... or should I have her keep it concealed and go with a conceal belt carry?
I'm guessing that like most women she wears form fitting clothes and that is why you are looking for advice. I wear shirts that are on the tighter side because If I wore a baggy shirt I'd look very skinny. High noon with a black shirt allowed me to conceal a full sized glock, I'm sure you'll be able to find a small nylon IWB that can do for the time being. Aside from that, there are also holsters for purses or bags with a large amount of space if I remember correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.