Traveling to Kansas by Car

This is a discussion on Traveling to Kansas by Car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm leaving from Colorado to visit parents in Kansas. This will be my first trip there with my CCW and I just wanted to be ...

Thread: Traveling to Kansas by Car

Traveling to Kansas by Car

I'm leaving from Colorado to visit parents in Kansas. This will be my first trip there with my CCW and I just wanted to be sure about the laws. I reviewed the information on handgunlaw.us and this is my understanding:

Based upon K.S.A. 12-16, 124 I can have the handgun loaded and off my person in the car no matter where I am in the state. This is important to me because I plan to have my loaded handgun in a Remora holster stuck between my seat and the console in the car. Would not be concealed and would be loaded. It seems that if you don't have a CCW permit that you would have to unload the handgun and have it in a case, but permit holders may do as they please. Is this correct?

No duty to inform officer, correct?

I can carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol, but cannot consume alcohol, correct?

If there are any other issues I need to know about, please feel free to offer advice.

Thanks,
    Doc

2. Remove Ads

Big thing to watch is the sign. If it has the correct sign (Go to Ks AG to view) in the proper location (avg adult hgt, <12 in. from door, outer door only), then its a no go.
    No need to inform officer, but I do.
    I often drive with mine stuck between the seat and console, but I throw a coat or hat over it. People can look into my car when passing, so I keep it covered.

The AG website is a great source of info. I recommend you go check it out before you head into Ks.

Have a safe trip.

Links