My wife asked me if I really needed to take my gun to the dentist...

This is a discussion on My wife asked me if I really needed to take my gun to the dentist... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering what a better response to this type of question would be? Yesterday I was getting ready to leave to go to the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: My wife asked me if I really needed to take my gun to the dentist...

My wife asked me if I really needed to take my gun to the dentist...

I am wondering what a better response to this type of question would be?

Yesterday I was getting ready to leave to go to the dentist office, yay right? I was trying to think ahead to decide which holster would be best suited to that situation. I put on my IWB white hat holster and I asked my wife if she could see it when i was laying down. (since i swear the dentist chairs can sometimes invert you upside down...).

Long story short, she asked me if I really felt the need to take my gun to the dentist in a condescending/sarcastic manner. Now this took me by surprise since she is usually very supportive of me cc'ing. I didn't really know how to answer that, so i said something dumb like "for the same reason i wear my seat belt on my way there...".

But I have found that where i live, and the people i associate with, are never of the mindset of "why do you carry?". But then those same friends are surprised when we go to the beach and i have an lcp in my shorts pocket.

so, i am wondering if anyone has any good responses to those scenarios in which when my wife may look at me like i'm paranoid for carrying in that situation.

also i am aware of CAN'T, but for the purpose of this thread i am looking more for response ideas, constructive, sarcastic, or otherwise =p

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

A primary response I use & is now an accepted mindset of my wife & I after 2+ years of CC, is that it's not always the place you are going to that you view as a threat (yes, I know ... anytime / anyplace), but MUCH more so is the walk from house to car, from car to destination, return walk from destination to car, & walk from car back into the house that I view as more of a threat than the destination.

How many stories have we all read of victims ambushed in their driveways immediately upon getting into the car, or returning home, or surprising BG's in the act of burglarizing their homes upon returning (not to mention car-jacked during the trip there & back)?

It's not so much the dentist office that is the major threat (but you never know), but rather the dentist's parking lot & your driveway. I used to get the same question from close friends when visiting at their house. The threat is not from them or from being in their home, it's the coming & going where the possibility of threat is escalated.

One last thought, although many places may not be threatening on the surface (ie. dentist office, friend's / relative's house, etc) but you never know what you may stumble into the middle of upon entering these places. Odds are nil, but you never know. Not paranoid, just trying to balance the odds. So bottom line, the answer is "Yes", I do need to carry during this round trip to the dentist. Yes the dentist & his staff are ususally pretty good guys & gals, but what about everyone else in between?
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Distinguished Member
    sdprof likes this.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I've taken the same grief from my wife. My response is always the same; "I honestly don't know when I'll need it".
    mano3 likes this.

Don't worry, eventually she'll stop asking.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Hand her a blank piece of paper and explain that it is the list of all the places the bad guys are going to hit today.

When she looks at you with that confused look, explain to her that "criminals don't give out lists in advance of when or where they are going to commit crime"

That should explain that blank piece of paper and hopefully get the point across.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; March 24th, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
    accessbob, DC, GreyGhost and 5 others like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I pocket my R9 for the dentist chair.

It takes several hours for the anesthetic to wear off, so I'm very careful driving home. I've asked him to give me Lidocaine instead of the usual, just in case my wife asks me where I was out late last night.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Tell her if you knew where and when an attack was going to happen you probably wouldn't go there at that time. Similar to some other responses but just another way of saying it. We never know where and when, that's what keeps the news on the TV they get to report the past.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Sfire View Post
    I am wondering what a better response to this type of question would be? Yesterday I was getting ready to leave to go to the dentist office, yay right? I was trying to think ahead to decide which holster would be best suited to that situation. I put on my IWB white hat holster and I asked my wife if she could see it when i was laying down. (since i swear the dentist chairs can sometimes invert you upside down...). Long story short, she asked me if I really felt the need to take my gun to the dentist in a condescending/sarcastic manner. Now this took me by surprise since she is usually very supportive of me cc'ing. I didn't really know how to answer that, so i said something dumb like "for the same reason i wear my seat belt on my way there...". But I have found that where i live, and the people i associate with, are never of the mindset of "why do you carry?". But then those same friends are surprised when we go to the beach and i have an lcp in my shorts pocket. so, i am wondering if anyone has any good responses to those scenarios in which when my wife may look at me like i'm paranoid for carrying in that situation. also i am aware of CAN'T, but for the purpose of this thread i am looking more for response ideas, constructive, sarcastic, or otherwise =p Thanks in advance!
    They quit asking after hearing this so often.
    I would rather never need it but it is better to have it and not need it than wish I had it. :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

My wife asked me if I really thought I would need mine one time. I told her that if I thought I would need it, I would take a shotgun too.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ....the gun ain't on me to drill the dentist with dear, it's with me so i won't get drilled on the going.

no msatter where the destination, you still have to get there & back...yes?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Should a said:

Is this real life?

Ok now. Ok now IIve two fingers

I cant see anything

I feel funny

Why is this happening to me?

Badey likes this.
    Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions. -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I am glad my wife doesn't ask me that. When I ask her if she has her Walther she says no, I ask why she says because you have your Kimber. I have tried to tell her she should carry even with me just in case I need cover fire charging the hill.

My dentist has hurt me in the past that is why I carry to the dentist dear.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    My dentist has hurt me in the past that is why I carry to the dentist dear.
    mano3 likes this.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I just go with Murphy's Law. The one time I don't have it is the one time I will need it.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links