hello. wisconsin specific questions here.

This is a discussion on hello. wisconsin specific questions here. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all, i am new and i have a couple questions i am hoping someone could shed some light on. i have so far been ...

Thread: hello. wisconsin specific questions here.

hello all, i am new and i have a couple questions i am hoping someone could shed some light on. i have so far been unable to find a definitive answer short of calling the sherrif's department.

1) wisconsin has a 0% blood alcohol content law for carry. this means that if i decide to have a beer with my lunch, i would no longer be able to carry without committing a crime. so if i do indeed decide to have a drink at lunch, i then need to disarm, and place my gun in my lock box. now, normally, i would drop the magazine, clear the chamber, and put them both in the lockbox. however, if i have say .02% .bac, i would still be legal to drive but not to carry. so i get back into my car and drive, would i then be in violation of the law because the ammunition is within arms reach of my firearm? must i place the lock box in the trunk, and have the ammo in the glovebox as i did before i received my ccw permit?

2) is it illegal to carry a expandable baton in wisconsin while under the influence of an intoxicant? the law that prohibits me from carrying after having a single beer clearly states "firearm". bear in mind, i am not talking about going out and getting hammered and carrying a weapon, but since i cannot carry my gun until the effects of one single beer wore off, i am wondering about my baton.

3) the other day i was going to the range and i took my carry gun, and an antique shotgun that i needed to test. with my permit i no longer to to case my handgun, i also did not case the shotgun because i did not have one on hand. was i breaking the law by driving with two un-cased weapons?

thanks guys.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    hello all, i am new and i have a couple questions i am hoping someone could shed some light on. i have so far been unable to find a definitive answer short of calling the sherrif's department.

1) wisconsin has a 0% blood alcohol content law for carry. this means that if i decide to have a beer with my lunch, i would no longer be able to carry without committing a crime. so if i do indeed decide to have a drink at lunch, i then need to disarm, and place my gun in my lock box. now, normally, i would drop the magazine, clear the chamber, and put them both in the lockbox. however, if i have say .02% .bac, i would still be legal to drive but not to carry. so i get back into my car and drive, would i then be in violation of the law because the ammunition is within arms reach of my firearm? must i place the lock box in the trunk, and have the ammo in the glovebox as i did before i received my ccw permit?

2) is it illegal to carry a expandable baton in wisconsin while under the influence of an intoxicant? the law that prohibits me from carrying after having a single beer clearly states "firearm". bear in mind, i am not talking about going out and getting hammered and carrying a weapon, but since i cannot carry my gun until the effects of one single beer wore off, i am wondering about my baton.

3) the other day i was going to the range and i took my carry gun, and an antique shotgun that i needed to test. with my permit i no longer to to case my handgun, i also did not case the shotgun because i did not have one on hand. was i breaking the law by driving with two un-cased weapons?

thanks guys.
    From what I understand, I think it would be best if you did have the firearm locked up/placed in the trunk unloaded if you are drinking at all. Not sure the legality of it or not but I would rather not risk it, especially since Wisconsin is new to CC and a lot of officers are still learning the laws regarding it.

I believe it is OK to carry any less-than-lethal weapon while still having a pretty low blood alcohol content. As you already know, firearms aren't legal to carry in any way if you are drinking or have any in your system.

I can't answer the 3rd. Also this is just going from what I understand, I could be wrong so wait for the advice of others first :o
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

yea seems best to just go through the hassle of casing it under federal law, placing it in the trunk locked, and putting the ammo in the glovebox. i highly doubt the 3rd question will ever come up again, just a curiosity.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Why would you not want to case the shotgun when you travel?

There are truly very few scenarios where not casing a firearm make sense, and to protect the gun itself having it in a proper case really is best.

The answer to your question, no, it is not illegal to have two uncased weapons with you.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Why would you not want to case the shotgun when you travel?

There are truly very few scenarios where not casing a firearm make sense, and to protect the gun itself having it in a proper case really is best.

The answer to your question, no, it is not illegal to have two uncased weapons with you.
    i didn't have a case. got this old shotgun at a garage sale, didn't come with one. i was testing it, and i hadn't got around to getting one. still haven't. it's a iver johnson 410, from probably the 30's. in fact i will probably never shoot it again.

WI passed a law now that the shotgun does not need a case.

If this would be me I would place in the safe and the ammo seperate. JM

Guns and booze do not mix and I know many that say what is ONE? It is still affecting you. PERIOD.

right, which is why i am being so specific on the laws about casing my firearm if i decide to have a beer with lunch. because after that point i will have to wait at least one hour before i even consider uncasing it, more likely the next day, because usually if my wife and i have a beer at lunch we hit a pool hall or something after that. thanks for the shotgun info.

Links