Diving out the nearest exit

This is a discussion on Diving out the nearest exit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually conceal carry my weapon with me all the time. My neighbor asked me what would I do if I was shopping and heard ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Diving out the nearest exit

Diving out the nearest exit

I usually conceal carry my weapon with me all the time. My neighbor asked me what would I do if I was shopping and heard gun fire coming from another part of the store? I told her I would be diving out the nearest exit.
    Rangers Lead The Way

2. Remove Ads

Yep... then call 911 and stay safe.

Carrying means you have another method of protecting your life, if your not in harms way - good, stay out of harms way and help others by staying alive and on the phone with 911.

Such a tough one to say for sure. If I have the means to prevent someones death and don't, I have to live with that too.

Not sure if I could look at myself in the mirror if after I realized that the shots came from a gunman that went on to kill unarmed women and children.

I am not "superman" and I don't go looking for gun fights, but if one happens in my presence, well I can't say what I'd do and I pray daily I never have to make that call.
    stancehold, Honk and swiftyjuan like this.

I agree; it’s not my fight and I have no authority to make anyone do anything they don't want to do. Now when outside or someplace secure and I have a chance to make a difference I might do something but under no circumstances do I want to get shot from some cop thinking I am the bad guy

Many stores don't have a known other exit. I would be inclined to find a concealed place with a wall behind me and watch for BG's.

I remember seeing a video of a guy randomly shooting people in a supermarket.
    People were trying to hide behind the waist high coolers.

I think he killed several people. This was years back before CCW was a reality.

Not good!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    Many stores don't have a known other exit. I would be inclined to find a concealed place with a wall behind me and watch for BG's.
    ‎Typically larger stores have fire exits or at least a back door for deliveries.
    limatunes and marcclarke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Yep... then call 911 and stay safe.

Carrying means you have another method of protecting your life, if your not in harms way - good, stay out of harms way and help others by staying alive and on the phone with 911.
    Absolutely! It's time to make a strategic exit and call 911. Your first priority is to protect yourself and your family. It's not time to play hero. Getting the police there is the most important thing that can be done to help the other folks in the store.

Remember, this ain't no movie!
    Question Everything!

If my neighbor asked me that, I'd reply, "Probably join in"....but then again, I do most of my shopping at my local gun shop/firing range, so it isn't unusual at all to hear gun shots coming from another part of the store. I do my best to avoid any other type of shopping.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Absolutely! It's time to make a strategic exit and call 911. Your first priority is to protect yourself and your family. It's not time to play hero. Getting the police there is the most important thing that can be done to help the other folks in the store.

Remember, this ain't no movie!
    We have very different priorities.
    Honk, atctimmy and swiftyjuan like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Should have told her you'd lob a few mortar rounds in the direction of the gun shoots and then go for coffee.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If I were with someone I'd get us to safety and call 911 while being ready to intervene if the opportunity presents itself but not until whoever is with me is safe. If I'm alone I'd find some cover and call 911, I don't know if I'd try to seek out the shooter or not. It would depend on how big the store is and if I could ascertain how close the shooter is. Deep down I think there is a hero in all of us, we may not admit it, but I think all of us have that desire to be a hero. I'm not saying be stupid and take on several shooters but if there is a way to limit the bloodshed and go home at the end of the day that is what we should aim to do. I know many will say I'm just protecting myself and my loved ones, and that is fine. But I think given the opportunity to save innocent lives most of us would do the right thing.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    I'll bet they do, you have just never noticed. Depending on the size and shape of the facility it is part of most (if not all) States and federal fire codes, and usually both the exit access and markings are an inspection point in periodic checks.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Wow, a lot of variables in this situation. My thoughts are 1) move family and myself to as safe a location as possible, 2) be ready to defend whatever position I am in.
    Bubbiesdad and Ranger_6 like this.
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

It could be hard to determine where the shots are coming from. Heading to an exit could put you FTF with the shooter(s).
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links