Carry-in-car through FL, AL, MS, LA and TX?

This is a discussion on Carry-in-car through FL, AL, MS, LA and TX? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am from TX and a CHL holder there. I am aware of the law in TX allowing one to carry a loaded weapon ...

Thread: Carry-in-car through FL, AL, MS, LA and TX?

Carry-in-car through FL, AL, MS, LA and TX?

So I am from TX and a CHL holder there. I am aware of the law in TX allowing one to carry a loaded weapon in the car out of plain sight w/o a concealed carry permit but you can't carry it out of the vehicle on your person.

Well my fiancee is driving back from my new base in north west Florida back to north Texas. I want to send her back with one of my handguns just for personal protection since I won't be able to make the trip with her. Does anyone know of any laws in these states preventing her from having a loaded firearm in the car with her while traveling through?

And just to prevent any flaming, she knows how to handle a gun well, is a reservist in the Air Force, we have been over self defense drills at home and at the range so she isn't any stranger to firearms and even more specifically she isn't a stranger to the firearm I'd let her take back with her. She just hasn't taken the time to get her carry licence.

She's leaving early in the morning so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Don't know all the states, but you might checkout handgunlaw.us to see if it has some info.

Not legal in Bama.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Don't know all the states, but you might checkout handgunlaw.us to see if it has some info.

Ditto! Check out handgunlaw.us
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Moderator
    Just fine in Florida, so long as the gun is "securely encased". In the glove box or a closed center console is fine.

You might hear about a "3 step rule" in Florida. This is a myth, and may be safely ignored. As long as the gun is in an enclosed container and cannot be fired without opening the container, you're good.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links