Carrying the 1911A1

This is a discussion on Carrying the 1911A1 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok guys, just looking for a few Ideas, I carry a 1911A1 .45 and was wondering the best place to carry it, I have always ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying the 1911A1

Carrying the 1911A1

ok guys, just looking for a few Ideas, I carry a 1911A1 .45 and was wondering the best place to carry it, I have always carried it on my hip, but it just seems that its a bit heavy now, should I start to carry it elsewhere? or should I look into a smaller weapon?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the MARINES don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan.

Remember your abilities AND disabilities can become Possibilities!

Semper Fi!

2. Remove Ads

You can try a good pair of 1.5 " elastic supenders. I have worn them all me life & when I stated carying I found them to be my best friend. If you don't like the way they look remember your cover will cover them as well as the gun. My 1911-A1 was a full size so I know of that weight too. I now carry a Kimber Pro & it is a LOT lighter.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Lead Moderator
    A good belt and holster will help some. As for new . Lots of lighter choices out there in almost any gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have carried a four inch model for several years now. It is easier to carry, especially when I sit down. Some what but not significantly lighter. This may be an option for you to investigate.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

As stated earlier, get a good stiff belt and holster. I carry a P13 almost every day without any problems. In the long run you will end up with several guns for different ocasions. Also at least one drawer of holsters. Like all of us here you will have to try different things out.
    It is lot's of fun.

Semper Fi

Aluminum frame 1911s

I presume the gun you are carrying is a full size, all steel 1911 with 5 inch barrel. That is a heavy gun, usually going 38 ounces empty and maybe 41 ounces loaded. It is a real test for your holster and belt system.

I personally think a better choice for 1911 carry is an aluminum frame model with barrel in the 3 inch to 4 inch range. These generally weigh about 25 to 28 ounces empty, saving 10 to 13 ounces over the full size steel gun. They are also shorter in the barrel, and possibly even the grip if you go with the "officers" size frame. They are not hard to shoot well if you practice with them, although they do recoil more because of reduced weight.

I attached a picture of the Kimber Pro CDP that I use much of the time, which has a 4 inch barrel and aluminum frame.
    Attached Images

+1 for a good belt. Mine is made by http://www.thebeltman.net/, and is worth every penny of the cost. Another thing I've found helps alot is balance out the load. Im alot more comfortable with a 1911 on one side and a spare mag and tac light on the other then I am with just the gun on.

AE

The belt and holster make all the difference in the world. Unless you're wearing a real gun belt designed specifically to carry that load, you're cheating yourself. I'm 5'-10" 185 lbs and carry a 5" Mil-Spec strongside IWB with no problem at all. I can conceal it under an untucked short sleeve shirt or even a loose T-shirt.

I use a Brommeland MaxCon V and either a Milt Sparks or HBE belt (I have a Brommeland belt on order as well). My gear is the what makes carrying that weight all day possible. I also second the recommendation to balance the load with spare mag(s) or other gear on the "weak" side, that helps quite a bit.

A smaller gun is also an option and I'm currently looking for a Commander size 1911 myself for a number of reasons. Either way, the 1911 is very "do-able" with the right gear. Let us know what you decide on.
    Jack

I carry a 58 ounce 1911. Good belt and good holster is the key. As others have said, try going to a commander or an aluminum framed 1911. My next 1911 is going to be a commander (10mm of course!). I wish I could get the DW Bobber in aluminum.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

a 10mm Commander??? NOW YER TALKIN'!!!!
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    a 10mm Commander??? NOW YER TALKIN'!!!!
    Jack
    ....and now I'm listenin'
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

well, I wear a Sam Brown Belt, always have, and I use a fobus holster, maybe thats where my problem is, we will continue to find the right combination of accessories, now if they made a 10mm in the XD type, I would go for that...
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the MARINES don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan.

Remember your abilities AND disabilities can become Possibilities!

Semper Fi!

i carry my fullsize HK45 during winter months...all I use is an inside the pants holster and to hold my pants up, a standard issue military belt.

VIP Member
    there is always a holster vest or a shoulder holster.

Administrator
    If you're using a Fobus that probably IS your problem.
    Fobus holsters do not pull the firearm in close/tight enough.
    Do yourself a huge favor and buy another holster.
    I never liked Fobus holsters for concealed carry.

I'm not flaming anybody that uses a Fobus holster but, it's my very personal opinion that Fobus holsters never were the best holsters for concealed carry and it's my opinion that they are inferior to leather holsters that conform themselves better to the body profile...pull in tighter...and distribute the weight of the firearm much better as they utilize the width and stiffness of the gun belt to its best advantage.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links