CCW and motorcycles?

CCW and motorcycles?

This is a discussion on CCW and motorcycles? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have about a week to figure this out. I want to carry to and from work while on motorcycle. The problem is, what do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW and motorcycles?

CCW and motorcycles?

I have about a week to figure this out. I want to carry to and from work while on motorcycle. The problem is, what do I do once at work since we have a no handgun policy? I have a rack and touring bag on bike, but not a real secure place if someone really wanted in it. What do you guys do or recommend?

I've got hard bags on both Beemers and the left one is drilled to bolt a C.O.M. safe thru to the steel bag mount. The bags also lock.

Unless you have hard saddle bags and then use a safe inside that, all of which should be secure on the bike, I wouldn't do it. I'm sure there will be a lot of people telling you it's foolish to secure a firearm on a motorcycle, etc. etc. but with the right steps it's no different than in your car. Don't forgot to lock the fork while you're at it.

I have soft saddlebags on my bike that don't lock and even still can be removed fairly quick, and carry IWB. If I come across a place that denies my right to carry, I go elsewhere. (Rare in Maine anyways)

I agree get some hard shell bags that lock, if leaving it on your motorcylce is your ONLY option.
    Conceal Carry
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
    Rock River Arms 6.8 SPC
    Taurus Millennium Pro 140

I wonder about this too but I guess it depends on what style of bike you are riding. Like for me I ride a supersport on occasions and i would never leave a firearm on it even if its in a lock box. Motorcycles are to easily stolen for that option. but would like to hear as well what some do.

Take a look at the "safes" listed at this website:

In Car Gun Lockers

Something similar, with the cable secured around a frame member, should work. However, I only use something like this when away from the bike for a short period of time! I'm not sure about leaving a gun on/in a bike for an entire workday unless there is some kind of security in the parking lot where you work. Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ws76133 View Post
    I've got hard bags on both Beemers and the left one is drilled to bolt a C.O.M. safe thru to the steel bag mount. The bags also lock.
    Funny I got the same thing! My "naked" bike (Harley Fat Boy) fell victim of the poor economy, sadly I had to sell it. Kept the older BMWs.

I would look for some type of removable and lockable hardbags. Keep in mind ( I am sure you already know this) to be discrete about removing your weapon and storing in the bike. Don't need to advertise. good luck!
    sid1 likes this.

drill a hole in the inside of the bag and do a cable lock around the shock and threw the gun. cheap and works great

edit : I use a cable lock in my truck whe I go somewhere I can't carry I cable it to the seat mount and then shove it under the seat. if it's found they still can't get it
    Last edited by barstoolguru; March 28th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
    2wheelGnnr likes this.

Funny, as I sit out here in garage looking at bike (which is a 1200 sportster) I'm thinking about getting the lock for the quick disconnect backrest/rack and drilling a hole in the bottom of my Kuryakyn bag for a cable either for a small gun vault or to put through the s&w 642 that I'll be carrying. I don't want to handicap my carrying when I ride to work instead of driving. Which with these gas prices is everyday it isn't raining or freezing. Lol

get a belly band to carry with and the cable lock it to the shock or backrest. don't use a cheap one

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

No hard bags and security system my weapon is not going on the bike. Period. But I have both plus a lock box cabled to the inside.

hard bags , or helmut case mounted on back.
    Or a handgun safe in the bags, with a cable lock securely to the bike in some manner.

Depends upon the size of your gun as well.
    * a snubby fits perfectly in the left side locked panel of the bike as well , many Sheriff Officers here keep one there, and are who suggested it to me, and they're right, it fits perfectly. I also have a motion alarm on the bike (AudioVox , about $40 from O'Reilly's .. in the right panel).

* there are lock boxes (usually made for papers, then one's for tools, etc) that mount securely on the frame and will lock.
    http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-tool-boxes
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Great topic. I haven't owned a car in some 14 years....good thing I live in Fl. huh. I have the same issues as OP with wanting to carry all the time but can't carry inside work. Keep the ideas coming people!

Unless your bike is stored in a guarded/fenced area, I would not keep a gun hidden on the bike.
    I had a Hog for many years...hard cases...never broke into, but not that secure. Keep the gun on your person or leave it home.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If you don't have hard bags or don't like the safe inside the bag idea, you could try a cable lock through the inside of a soft bag, around the frame. The other concern I would have though, is how exposed are you when transfereing the gun to the bike? Will you be out in the open? People watching you put the gun away may make it a target for theft.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links