CCW on railroad property?

This is a discussion on CCW on railroad property? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oh boy where to start.. I've been trying to figure out the legalities of carrying my EDC on railroad property, specifically CSX railroad. From what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: CCW on railroad property?

CCW on railroad property?

Oh boy where to start.. I've been trying to figure out the legalities of carrying my EDC on railroad property, specifically CSX railroad. From what I can tell, it's a no-go situation no matter how you look at it. Anyone have any experience/info on the subject?

In Brief: I start a new job soon, but the company I'll be working for leases office space from the railroad. The storage yard that I'll have to be working on also, is also csx property.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

2. Remove Ads

I believe the co you work for controls the property they lease and call the shots there but the RR property is under control of the RR and is subject to federal criminal rules

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I believe the co you work for controls the property they lease and call the shots there but the RR property is under control of the RR and is subject to federal criminal rules
    Why would any federal laws come into play on RR property? It's just another private business, after all.

State laws, on the other hand, might come into play.

OP: do you cross through RR controlled spaces to get to your work areas? Do they have direct public access?

Most RRs have employment policies prohibiting their workers from carrying, but I think it might be a stretch for them to enforce that on a property lessee. Your employer, on the other hand, well, that's been discussed ad infinitum.
    Aceoky likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    OP: do you cross through RR controlled spaces to get to your work areas? Do they have direct public access?
    no, there is no direct public access, the entire facility is secured by 10' fences, and the main entrance has a security guard. Further, the entire facility is owned by csx, and is under the control of one of there company divisions. There are multiple companies (like 4?) that lease office space all associated with working on the property.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Why would any federal laws come into play on RR property? It's just another private business, after all.

State laws, on the other hand, might come into play.

Most RRs have employment policies prohibiting their workers from carrying, but I think it might be a stretch for them to enforce that on a property lessee. Your employer, on the other hand, well, that's been discussed ad infinitum.
    RR property is and has been federal control as far back as the railroad itself. The government owns part of the RR (Conrail for one) it falls under the same rules as the airports. Air lines are private but the government controls them and any crimes committed on their property is a federal crime just as the RR's
    Parrisk likes this.

VIP Member
    While the federal government may regulates the operation of railroads, that doesn't mean they have control of RR property. Unless CSX posts their property you should be able to carry there. I would have to see a specific Fed regulation that would prohibit the carrying.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    CSX has a policy prohibiting employees from having weapons while on their property or lodging paid for by same. I have never seen a posting concerning firearms on their property. However, there are no trespassing signs posted all across CSX property so if you venture onto said property without authorization you could be arrested for trespass. They have their own police force who are very vigilant for trespassers since 9-11. If you are going to work in a yard on CSX property you will be required to obtain a contractor / vendor permit and id badge to wear while on their property. I'm almost positive when you get your clearance to work in or around their yard they will tell you to leave your weapons at home. Hope this helps.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    RR property is and has been federal control as far back as the railroad itself. The government owns part of the RR (Conrail for one) it falls under the same rules as the airports. Air lines are private but the government controls them and any crimes committed on their property is a federal crime just as the RR's
    You need to brush up on RR history. Conrail went out of business in 1999 when CSX and Norfolk Southern split its assets. It was in private hands since 1987.

Government gave land to the RRs back in the day, but other than the WWI period when the USRA ran all the roads, the government has not "controlled" nor owned them. FRA and STB regulate them, but not down the the minutiae of personnel policies, like firearms carry.

Some crimes on RR property might be federal crimes, but not just the fact that a crime occurs on RR property. Think the FBI is going to jack up every trespasser?
    Aceoky likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Some crimes on RR property might be federal crimes, but not just the fact that a crime occurs on RR property. Think the FBI is going to jack up every trespasser?
    Exactly. Railroad property is no more-or-less subject to federal law than any other private property.

I think alot of people are under the impression that all crimes against the railroads and/or on railroad property are federal crimes. They likely jump to this false conclusion because railroad police are quasi-federally empowered. Railroad police are state-licensed peace officers, not federal LEOs*, however federal law authorizes railroad police to operate across state lines into states other than their state of license, in any state that the railroad owns and/or leases trackage, to investigate and enforce state and federal laws.

*The exception is AMTRAK. AMTRAK Police are indeed federal LEOs.
    sdprof and Aceoky like this.

You need to brush up on RR history. Conrail went out of business in 1999 when CSX and Norfolk Southern split its assets. It was in private hands since 1987.

Government gave land to the RRs back in the day, but other than the WWI period when the USRA ran all the roads, the government has not "controlled" nor owned them. FRA and STB regulate them, but not down the the minutiae of personnel policies, like firearms carry.

I think you should check your facts before you call people out. Conrail is still a railroad but their profits are split between CSX and Norfolk Southern.

We have been fighting this one for years.
    RailRoads are not Federal property or owned. How ever they are regulated by the federal government. All Rail Road fall under the GCOR.
    The GCOR prohibits having a weapons on rail road property. The rule is not legal in many places. Wisconsin is one of them. You can by State law have it in your car in a company parking lot.
    However they are still firing people for it. It can take 2-5 years to get to an arbitrator and when you do the arbitrator is a Liberal. Not one that has been fired has gotten their job back.

Deep concealment. Smart Carry is a brand name of a holster system when I was younger that I used for about 5 or 6 years.

Now unless my employer or his representative was willing to put their hand down the inside of the front of my trousers ...
    or they can go pound sand.

My attorney can beat the Hell outta your attorney. Once the 'employer' has realized that and he is working for ME because I now OWN THE COMPANY lock stock and barrel he or she (former head jerk off of company) will have to wear a pink tutu while on company property conducting company business. Failure to wear his/her tutu will result in instant termination. Loss of pay vacation time all perks complete benefit package goes right out the window. Plus said former employee will list to one side due to the permanent limp they will sustain on their last day. Welcome to the end of the line at the local food bank you twit.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Deep concealment. Smart Carry is a brand name of a holster system when I was younger that I used for about 5 or 6 years.

Now unless my employer or his representative was willing to put their hand down the inside of the front of my trousers ...
    or they can go pound sand.

My attorney can beat the Hell outta your attorney. Once the 'employer' has realized that and he is working for ME because I now OWN THE COMPANY lock stock and barrel he or she (former head jerk off of company) will have to wear a pink tutu while on company property conducting company business. Failure to wear his/her tutu will result in instant termination. Loss of pay vacation time all perks complete benefit package goes right out the window. Plus said former employee will list to one side due to the permanent limp they will sustain on their last day. Welcome to the end of the line at the local food bank you twit.
    So you are suggesting that one violate company policy regarding carrying on private property, and in turn violate state laws of trespass and be subject to criminal prosecution by doing so?

Lets see, they would loose their job, and possibly loose their ability to have a carry permit if caught. Hmm.

But then they would get to own the company. Wonder why companies aren't changing hands with great frequency if all one had to do was get them to search you so you could sue them. I am all but certain that the RR police can search you before they stuff you into the car while being arrested for trespass, find the weapon and suffer no consequences.
    denclaste and Parrisk like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I work for the government () and even we hate working with the railroads because they are very particular about what happens on their property. We have no authority to make them let us conduct work on their property. At least in the context of my job.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, does your company allow concealed weapons? If so, have them ask CSX. They are the companies involved, not this forum. All this "Always carry, never tell" advice doesn't always work out so well when your livelihood is involved.
    denclaste, CWOUSCG and Parrisk like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links