Conceal Carry of a large Fixed blade knife in WI

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry of a large Fixed blade knife in WI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know in WI we are allowed to carry knives concealed but I was wondering would it be illegal to pull this knife out and ...

I know in WI we are allowed to carry knives concealed but I was wondering would it be illegal to pull this knife out and use it to cut rope or something similar? Is that the same as brandishing a deadly weapon? I have a knife with a 10 inch overall length and 4.75 inch blade which I thought about carrying around sometimes. Could I use this knife in public at all?

I sugest you contact the Wisconsin DOJ for the correct answer.

Contact DOJ
    WI Department of Justice
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    You'd have to research the specifics of your state laws on knives. Also, in many states cities can have their own specific knife laws. While states may have preemption laws for guns, knives are usually not covered by them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

From the WI DOJ site FAQs...

"What type of weapons can I carry with a CCW license?
    The license is for a ―weapon,‖ which is defined as a handgun, an electric weapon as defined in 941.295(1c)(a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under 941.24, or a billy club. Wis. Stat. 175.60(1)(j).
    A handgun does not include a machine gun, a short barreled rifle or a short barreled shotgun. Wis. Stat. 175.60(1)(bm)."

941.24 says:
    "941.24  Possession of switchblade knife.
    (1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
    (2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer. "

So, I would think you'd be OK.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Did you buy it in Wisconsin? If so, I'd assume it is legal to own and use...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

If you're going to go to the trouble of concealing it, why bring it out for mundane tasks? That's kind of like using your EDC to shoot your way through your door lock every night after work. My suggestion would be leave it concealed and get yourself a Leatherman or some such tool for cutting rope. Nice looking knife, BTW.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkranz View Post
    I know in WI we are allowed to carry knives concealed but I was wondering would it be illegal to pull this knife out and use it to cut rope or something similar? Is that the same as brandishing a deadly weapon? I have a knife with a 10 inch overall length and 4.75 inch blade which I thought about carrying around sometimes. Could I use this knife in public at all?

thats a lot of knife to cut some rope?

It's really not much bigger than a full-sized utility tool. Like my Leatherman Charge that I carry with me every day. I started carrying the original Leatherman 15 years ago and have moved on to a couple of better ones over the years. They have always been legal to carry as long as I carry them openly. Openly means not intentionally trying to hide it as well. Basically, if you are carrying it on your belt, and are wearing a coat because it is cold, then you are legal.

We have a maximum blade length law for concealed knives which is 3". A CC permit might not eliminate that requirement.

Just having it on your belt out in the open is legal if you do not have a permit. Granted, you don't want to carry something big enough to be considered something other than a knife. Say something big enough to be considered a machete or a sword. There are laws against that.

Trust me, if you openly carry it, no one will really notice it. No one really says much about my carrying a Leatherman around beause they just don't see it. It's basically invisible until you use it, and your attitude while using it and how you respond to any potential stupid comments determines on whether they continue to even think about it.

I carry mine around a bunch of teachers (I work for the local school district), so you should understand that I have gotten some inane comments. I just tell them it's easier than having a belt loaded with tools, and if I can carry around tools I can carry around my multi-tool. It's the person behind the tool that makes it safe, or dangerous, to be around after all.

Complaints have been made by a few, and yet I still carry one around when there is a general ban for most staff and all students to have a bladed item on them. As a support staff person who does repair work, I get to have certain exceptions made so I can do my work. Don't call attention to yourself, and you don't have to worry about idiotic beauracratic rules that have no factual basis for being made.

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Did you buy it in Wisconsin? If so, I'd assume it is legal to own and use...
    That's a big assumption.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

In TN max blade lenth allowed for carry on your person is 4".
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    In TN max blade lenth allowed for carry on your person is 4".
    Except in Bristol, where the max is 3". I happened across that little gem while looking through a friends new Tn HCP booklet he got at his recent class. Seems to be a full time endeavor keeping up with all the different laws/regulations nowadays.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Milwaukee and many surrounding cities have bans on any knife with certain blade lengths, it varies by city so check with local law experts. Surprise surprise Madison and surrounding cities have similar laws. Outside of these areas there is no limit on blade length set by state statute. Check out handgunlaw.com with the link at the top of every forum, Gary has knife laws there as well.

Sorry handgunlaw.us
    Last edited by Doubledown; April 2nd, 2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Corrected handgunlaw.us

can i do this

so if i have my 2.5 inch blade in my pocket walking around in public is that legal too do or do i have to have i openly carried

I have a 2 1/2" Schrade for work and 5" Gerber for SD.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Links