printing

This is a discussion on printing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This topic came up reading Elrey718's post about a fed making him while at work. I have felt his adrenalin surge before, but they are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: printing

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

printing

This topic came up reading Elrey718's post about a fed making him while at work. I have felt his adrenalin surge before, but they are getting less often. I guess I am starting to become a little more lax about printing a bit once in a while. I think if you carry a full size firearm, it is going to show at some point.
    I usually wear a sleeveless t-shirt tucked in, my IWB-MaxConV, and an untucked button up shirt on top. I know I print when grocery shopping, etc while reaching/bending. I don't mind this, I am not trying to "hide" it from people, just conceal it from the general public, and sheeple that may panic. In the winter, this situation is much less a problem because of dress.
    I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this, I don't know if I am conveying the right message that I have in my mind, but hopefully as the discussion develops it will be able to come out.
    I guess in my rambling, I am wondering how obsessive everyone is about printing or possibly showing your firearm once in a while in non threatening nor brandishing manner while doing public activity.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I tend to create a major distinction between printing and actual exposure.

I am sure I ''print'' at times - I know I do occasionally. But it does not even actually show a gun outline per se and so it goes into the realms of ''something on my waist'' - which could be phone or pager etc. Sure to the wise and initiated (one of us ) it would probably be ID'd because of where the main extra is - viz, the grips!

Exposure tho - I take great pains to prevent that, and that involves the use of numerous degrees of subterfuge. Elbow in side, hand in pants pocket, the way I bend or reach .... etc. In essence I have now come up with a measure to prevent exposure in most circumstances and do it automatically and it is unobtrusive to the casual observer.

Perhaps the one major risk would be falling over!!! I try not to!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

a bump here or there big whup. complete outline of a pistol no go . i wear my cover buttoned up ,so as for it falling open exposing the gun , nope.
    elance

imo - most people are not that observant.
    I usually carry iwb with a t-shirt, or hawaiin type shirt untucked.
    depending on the gun that I'm carrying, it appears as a bulge of varying size.
    I don't worry about the bulge, but I do take care not to expose the gun.
    If anyone has ever made me, no one has ever mentioned it.
    I'm comfortable with this level of concealment.
    My guess is that only an LEO would be observant enough to see it, and I feel completely legal and within my rights.

Lead Moderator
    Most times I will just be careful not to print too much. Once in a while a bugle will show no matter what. I am not too concerned as it seems only those "in the know" recognize a possible gun from what little I print.
    Can you tell I am wearing 3 guns in my avatar pic? ...........Didn't think so.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Steve I agree I wear shorts a colored undershirt (some people call them wife beater shirts) and a untucked shirt buttoned the bottom two buttons, so most of you guys would know I am carrying if you really wanted to.

I don't even print the cover garments are over sized, but you guys are looking for people that are carrying the average person is not looking for it and the most of the BG are clueless as well.

You will take one look at me looking back at you and say yep he is carrying.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I carry either with a front pocket holster ( just makes a bulge),
    or IWB with loose untucked or polo type shirt
    (nothing short of a Handstand will display the gun).

Most people will never notice -
    ( when's the last time YOU stared at someones waistline? )
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    ( when's the last time YOU stared at someones waistline? )
    Hehe my wifes

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Most people will never notice -
    ( when's the last time YOU stared at someones waistline?
    The last time I wanted to see if someone was packing. You can't tell by looking at their face.

Senior Moderator
    Something that helps to keep the printing down ot a minimum is to bend at the knees rather than the back when getting something low.

To be thruthful, though, I've got to where I could care less if I print or not. Its just not the issue that it used to be. Everyone that knows me knows that I carry, and the ones that dont I could care less about...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've only been carrying for a few weeks now, and it's only been the last 2 or so that have been with my CTAC holster (.40 P229). It conceals sooooo much better than the Fobus paddle holster I started with!

But...*I* know there is a gun under there, and that tiny little bump still gets me nervous, like everyone is looking and knows. I know, I know, that bump could be a pager, cell phone, etc., but I keep thinking what else would they think other than gun! (since that's what I'm thinking!)

But then I realize that before I carried I never looked that closely at people, and even if I did see a bulge (no jokes here!) I would never had thought gun, so I settle down and within a few minutes I don't give it a second thought.

When picking things up, I try and bend at the knees. I did however lift my 5 year old over my head while we were at the pizza shop only to look down a see my t-shirt sitting on top of my pistol! Oops! Note to self...*lifting* things is not so good either! Not completely uncovered, but close enough. No one was the wiser though.

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    Well, of course, your state's carry laws are an important factor because these laws set the social climate through which a CHL holder moves and operates. Here, in Pennsylvania, open carry is permissible everywhere - Except in Philadelphia which requires a CHL in order to carry in any manner. In a social environment where open carry is allowed, ‘printing’ becomes less of an obsessive issue. I know several local gunmen who are not scrupulously concerned about showing a sidearm. Sometimes I am one of them, too. (Sometimes!)

I’ve already been in social situations where local or state police realized I was carrying. I do wear cover shirts that are a size too large; but, still, if someone knows what to look for, all ya got’ a do is move around a little in front of them; and, that bulge is going to show. In my hometown there is a local lawyer who eats breakfast at the diner while open carrying, a local gunshop owner who open carries when he walks across the mall to get pizza or coffee, and any number of gunmen who, while usually covered up, will occasionally pump gas or buy a paper while open carrying.

Outside of the big cities, it really isn’t necessary for us to obsess over printing or open carry. Experienced police officers seem to know that criminals go to great lengths to hide sidearms while CHL holders may or may not. There is just one caveat I would caution about: If you should ever find yourself in a, ‘difficult social situation’ (like a fight over a parking space, road rage, or something like that) then you should be very, very careful about revealing the fact that you are armed. There ARE people in this world who would not hesitate to use this information against you.

The fact that I am a CHL holder is attached to my driver’s license; and, I never allow myself to forget that I’ve got to be, at least, twice as patient and twice as forgiving as other drivers on the road. If I should be cutoff on the road, or get jumped while on line waiting for a ticket – whatever - I deliberately don’t raise an objection because I do not want, either, the negative exposure, nor the legal risk.

Why am I telling you these things? Because there is a whole lot more to carrying a sidearm than just worrying about printing. The way you dress, and the way you move may diminish the fact that you are armed; but, you may take it from me, the way you behave and the way you interact with other people can be far, far more revealing.

I was in a hospital emergency room after midnight 2 weeks ago. Yes, I was armed and uniformed hospital security was not when a group of young males became rowdy and boisterous. I wasn’t just armed; I was heavily armed; and, when these boys (young 20’s) started to act up, I did everything in my power to become part of the furniture; however, when I reached to change the channel on the TV just one of my speedloader pouches showed, briefly, underneath my Hawaiian cover shirt.

Now, while the security staff couldn’t quiet these young men down, the briefest look at an innocuous pouch on my belt caused one of these guys to elbow another; and, all of them suddenly sat down and shut up! True, they did glare at me; but, I was amazed, and immediately reminded of just how careful you really have to be when you don’t want others to know you’re armed. A middle-aged woman sitting across from me asked, ‘What did you do?’ I replied, ‘Absolutely nothing!’ She said, ‘Well, you must have done something because they’re afraid of you.’ The point is that printing or exposing the fact that you’re armed, in any manner, can happen really fast and in spite of your best intended efforts to conceal the fact.

Looking at things from another point-of-view, I truly dislike it when I see any male wearing multiple layers or exceptionally baggy clothing. This form of dress is an absolute, ‘red flag’ to me. The only totally effective way to mask a gun is to bury it underneath lots of clothing. Still, like I said, if someone knows what to look for they’re going to, at least, suspect the possession of a gun!

In addition to wearing an oversized cover garment, (NOT any kind of vest) and carrying IWB: how you interact, how you keep your cool, as well as how passive and condescending you appear to be will go a long, long way toward preventing others from recognizing that you are armed and potentially dangerous. A seasoned gunman already understands that he is never going to be perfectly covered all of the time; consequently, how you act (how freely you smile) is an important determinant of how others are going to perceive you and that, ‘persona’ you project.

Personally, I’d rather come across like a Rabbi than Rambo.

Senior Moderator
    Good Post !
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Nice synopsis of carry etiquette and principles
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree on PA.

Here in PA, I try to be concealed, but not always. I open carry in Pittsburgh on occasion, such as going to a good friends or to drop off rental movies. My wife usually does an "obvious" check on me... but I usually carry IWB with a t-shirt. If you were looking for it on me, it'd likely be obvious. I've found that people just aren't very observant. A friend of mine who KNOWS I carry and has been to the range with me was surprised that I was carrying one day, after I revealed the fact in conversation. This was a not-so-loose t-shirt day. I think people just aren't looking for it, and if they do notice- say in an open carry situation, they just assume that you have a proper reason for it. It's been my experience that most criminals don't carry their arms in nice shoulder holsters out in the open.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links