First year of HCP - CCW Life Observations

This is a discussion on First year of HCP - CCW Life Observations within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well it has been a year since I received my TN Handgun Carry Permit and I thought I would post some of my thoughts. first ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By DukeShooter

Thread: First year of HCP - CCW Life Observations

First year of HCP - CCW Life Observations

Well it has been a year since I received my TN Handgun Carry Permit and I thought I would post some of my thoughts. first of all a little background, I am a long time shooter and hunter. As soon as I could justify the expense I took a HCP class and applied for my permit. While I was waiting for the HCP to arrive I acquired my first Glock, a 33 .357 Sig and a Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe holster. I soon discovered that I would need "carry pants" to carry IWB, what I found that I needed 2" additional room in the waist of my pants to carry IWB. So I bought new jeans to wear when carrying. I initially carried without a proper gun belt and after struggling with my various dress belts I ended up always carrying with a new gun belt from Crossbreed. So lesson one and two, proper holster and belt plus allowing enough room in my pants waistline to accommodate the rig.

I started carrying almost 100% of the time, I m now in the habit of carrying everywhere I legally can. I purchased a little "gun box" for my truck to allow me to lock up the gun when I went somewhere CCW was prohibited. I have gotten so used to carrying that It doesn't feel "right" when I don't. It's automatic for me to put on my holster when I get dressed in the morning and I am now so used to carry that I do not notice the pistol on my hip. It has gotten like carrying my wallet and keys.

I have noticed my situational awareness is sharper, I have spotted people carrying several times while casually scanning a room. My wife tells me she feels more secure when we are out now that she has her own "armed response person" haha. I took my 21 year old daughter to Wal-Mart the other night real late (12am or so) and she asked me if I "had my gun" because she didn't want to go there without me carrying! I now have an elastic holster that my Glock resides in stuck to the back of my night stand when I am in bed. My handgun has become as much a part of my daily wear as my watch and wallet.

Now my wife wants to get her HCP! I take my family out to the range to shoot all my firearms, shotguns, rifles and handguns on weekends. I have also gotten interested in IPSC/IPDA again and have a Glock 35 in layaway (it is a used gun, but in good shape and I am paying only $369.00 + tax & BG check!). All in all the HCP has changed my life in a number of ways I had not anticipated. I now am an EDC guy and can truthfully say that I feel more secure in these wild times having my handgun on me when I am out and about, I know my family does! All in all getting my HCP and starting back shooting (and reloading for) handguns has been a very positive experience. I now have a J frame S&W .38, a .357 Ruger Security Six, a Walther SP22 .22, soon to be two Glocks (.357 & .40) and a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog Pug. I am now having more fun than I have ever had with handguns, shooting, hand loading and hunting.

Anyway, just another "ramble" from your ol' Uncle Duke.
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

2. Remove Ads

Not a problem for your "ramble", Duke. From the sound of things, you are getting quite comfortable with Concealed Carry.

Both me and my wife have our WV permit and she is seldom without her Ruger LCR. I can't carry while working, it is prohibited by law but when I go home, I can and do. Things around my "safe" hometown are going to the dogs in a hurry so that is the major reason why I even consider it more so than not. I just posted a story of a home invasion just two blocks from me and the guy was home and UN-armed. Not smart.

Good for your wife. She will enjoy having a permit to conceal carry.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Thank you for your thoughts and experiences!

They are appreciated. Insightful stuff.

I hear your 'ramble', but I wouldn't necessarily call it a ramble...just another similar story of learning about SD/HD, and becoming fully aware of the REAL world.

Stay alert, buy more guns, stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yea, well I seem to be getting one of each caliber, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .357 magnum, .38 special, .44 Special, .22 LR. I am thinking about a .45LC, a 1911 Colt .45, etc. I am a hand loader and having all those calibers is just plain fun! The .357 Sig Glock 33 is my EDC gun, but I like to pocket carry my S&W Centennial .38 sometimes with MagSafe up the spout. I just got the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 and am work out a carry holster for it.

My wife likes the S&W .38 Centennial, she thinks it is "cute". When she gets her permit it will become her EDC gun she already told me she has "dibs" on it.

Looks like when I get my Glock 35 out of layaway I am going to start shooting IPDA/IPSC again too! Now if I can talk my wife into doing it too!

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Takes me back to the lessons leaned when i first started carrying.

Links