BIG hunter, but anti-conceal carry.....

This is a discussion on BIG hunter, but anti-conceal carry..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got a friend who is a big time hunter (bow and gun), but he seems very anti-conceal carry according to the many statements he has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: BIG hunter, but anti-conceal carry.....

BIG hunter, but anti-conceal carry.....

Got a friend who is a big time hunter (bow and gun), but he seems very anti-conceal carry according to the many statements he has made about it. One main reason, I never hunted with him much and will completely stopped.. Seems to me like he is the type who believes a gun should only be use for hunting and not for personal protection. Can't trust him. I can picture him refusing to use his guns for personal protection even if his life and his love ones' lives depend on it...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I know lots of hunters who don't carry. Conversely, I know lots of CHLs who don't hunt. I do both, and respect people's views, whether I agree with them or not.
    DanielC, goldshellback and FTG-05 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Would he use a weapon against an attacking animal like a big dog or coyote? How about a bear he wasn't hunting for?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I know lots of hunters who don't carry. Conversely, I know lots of CHLs who don't hunt. I do both, and respect people's views, whether I agree with them or not.
    i know quite a few big hunters who do not carry, but they aren't against carrying and strongly believes in using their guns for personal protection..

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Would he use a weapon against an attacking animal like a big dog or coyote? How about a bear he wasn't hunting for?
    i'm sure he will because those are 'animals'.. hard to explain, but knowing him personally, he's the type who doesn't believe in using guns vs human beings..

I have a couple of acquaintances like this... I just don't discuss it with them anymore and do my own thing; they are set in their ways, and so am I.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I am one of the second group. I CC everywhere I can, but quit hunting years ago. For the record I mean deer, antelope, etc. Last time I went I had a 8 point buck in the cross hairs at 75 yards, I had a 7mmMag and a 3x9 scope. Not a lot of sport in that! Took the buck and had great chops and chilli all winter, but thought that would be the last time with modern weapons. Bow and black powder might be different. Also I visited with Tom Knapp several years ago at a event in California. He said he still misses while bird hunting so I still go after quail. Gives me a reason to buy a license and more ammo. But I made up my mind even before I got my CHL what would happen if it was me or the bad guy. Remember the deer, same results except no chilli.
    carracer likes this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

VIP Member
    I have 2 quarts of venison chili defrosting right now for supper tomorrow night.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would ask him what the difference is between the animals he kills regularly, and any animal that might try to kill him or his family. To me, if they are trying to take the life of another human being, they are no better than a wild animal.
    Walk softly ...

No big deal. Some people have crazy reasoning for how they thing and what they say. If it bugs you that much, just stop being friends with him.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Some people are delusional buffoons, who believe in the tooth fairy, believes no one ever gets struck by lightning,
    airplanes never fall out of the sky, tigers never escape from the zoo, nobody gets carjacked, or that homicidal maniacs never bust into a school, and shoot the place up.
    He, and people like him are ignorant to the world around them, and may learn the hard way, that living in La La Land can cost you dearly.
    People are murdered in the deer woods every fall.
    Is he forgeting that in your very state in 2004 the Chai Vang incident???

From article;

A Minnesota man convicted of murdering six deer hunters and attempting to kill two others after a dispute over trespassing in northwestern Wisconsin was sentenced to life in prison Tuesday with no chance for parole.

Judge Norman Yackel ordered Chai Soua Vang, 37, to serve six life prison terms, one after the other, guaranteeing he would never be freed from prison. Vang addressed the victims' families in court Tuesday but did not apologize

From; Life Sentence for Wisconsin Deer Hunter Killer | Fox News
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I don't hunt anymore. I use to when the enemy could shoot back. I can't shoot a defenseless animal. But.............I'll buy them in a grocery store.
    BurgerBoy and wjh2657 like this.

Its a common attitude that covers many issues other than concealed carry. He has the if I do not want to do something or can think of no reason why I would ever want to do something then no one else should do it either. The I have all the rights that I will ever need to do the things I like to do and everything else should be banned attitude.

I have close friends who are avid skeet shooters that believe that only specialized sporting type shotguns should be allowed. They are fine with banning machine guns, silencers, sniper rifle, and easily concealed weapons of any kind. It not that unusual of an attitude.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    Got a friend who is a big time hunter (bow and gun), but he seems very anti-conceal carry according to the many statements he has made about it. One main reason, I never hunted with him much and will completely stopped.. Seems to me like he is the type who believes a gun should only be use for hunting and not for personal protection. Can't trust him. I can picture him refusing to use his guns for personal protection even if his life and his love ones' lives depend on it...
    Reality is - He thinks only HE should have rights , OTHER people who can determine their own Fate SCARE HIM
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

One of my good friends knows I carry, has hunted his whole life, but will not get his permit let alone a handgun. (I can understand not wanting a permit, mostly.) His idea of home defense is his loaded .243 in the closet. At least he has taken steps for home defense.

I purchased a bow this winter to enhance the "sport" of white tail hunting. I have only taken 1 deer with a rifle, only hunted for 1 season, but 50 yards with a 4x scope on a .30-30 winchester 94 made it too easy. I found a deer path and sat there all afternoon and shot it an hour before dark...I hope the bow will make a fun challenge and make the kill more worthwhile to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links