MD License

MD License

This is a discussion on MD License within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good evening, I live in VA close to MD and I'm looking to apply for a non resident MD handgun permit, do you know if ...

Thread: MD License

MD License

Good evening, I live in VA close to MD and I'm looking to apply for a non resident MD handgun permit, do you know if MD has stopped requiring the "documented recent threats"to obtain the permit since the recent federal case and or has stopped disqualifying people who do not have the documented recent threats?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    Joe

VIP Member
    We have some MD members that can probably answer your question for you. However knowing the political elitist mentality prevalent in MD it is probably business as usual. MD is still a May Issue state, but that is only because they don't have a "Snowballs Chance In Hell" category.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A Judge just found MD's requiring "good & substantial" reasons for applying is unconstitutional. MD of course is appealing and requesting a stay on the decision. A temp stay has been applied....but there are many folks applying for the MD permit in the meantime. Nobody has been issued one yet...but MDSP has done a few applicant interviews.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I may be wrong but I didn't know that MD issued non-resident permits. You may want to double check MD laws to see if they do. I believe that they don't have reciprocity with any other state.

Lead Moderator
    Maryland does issue non-res permits, technically. If you want to risk giving Maryland a monetary gift you can apply now or you can wait till the whole legal process works out and hopefully they revise the procedure.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

MD issues PERMITS.They do not distinguish between resident and non resident

Judge Legg will rule at some point after May 23 on granting a stay that will remain in effect until the 4CA rules if MD asks them for one. MSP is sitting on applications until the suit is decided. If the 4 CA denies a stay, MSP will have to do something even while the appaeal is in progress. At that point Judge Legg's order will be in effecet until the 4 CA rules.

The chance of a successful appeal appear pretty dim for MD IMO.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Fingers crossed, My girlfriend has a condo at Ocean City, I love going, but hate having to leave my other "friend" at home.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I don't go into MD but I sure hope the courts stick it to the anti's in MD.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

As a MD resident i absolutely hope that MD becomes a Shall Issue State...They make you jump through so many hoops and even when you do have proper cause there is still a chance you will be denied...Plain and simple MD just doesnt want their law abiding gun owners carrying...and its such a shame...

And as much as i do want a permit for MD, i will wait until this whole thing gets sorted out before i give them my money...Hopefully sooner than later...But in the meantime i have my Florida CCW permit application just sitting here waiting for me to go get my fingerprints done

Lead Moderator
    Here is one good reason to wait till everything is settled. This is from a Maryland Shall Issue email received this morning.

House Bill 579 has been amended by the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee to create an open ended, undefined training requirement for handgun carry permitting. Under this amendment, the State Police will be able to set training requirements needed to even APPLY for a concealed carry permit.

THIS MEANS EVERY SINGLE PENDING APPLICATION COULD BE DENIED FOR NOT HAVING TRAINING AND NO NEW APPLICATIONS COULD BE FILED UNTIL A PROGRAM WAS CREATED.
    While it would be nice, nobody has said that the Maryland politicians will ever let go with out a fight. They have been ignoring/blocking us for years.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Here is one good reason to wait till everything is settled. This is from a Maryland Shall Issue email received this morning.

While it would be nice, nobody has said that the Maryland politicians will ever let go with out a fight. They have been ignoring/blocking us for years.
    It shouldn't be "denied"...they should return it as "incomplete" with a list of what is missing IE. Training Document. But...it is MD we're talking about.

Sponsored Links