Traveling and need info

This is a discussion on Traveling and need info within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be making the trek from Columbus to Dallas, I am doing a complete circle which takes me from OH, IN, IL, MO,OK,AR,TN,KY and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Traveling and need info

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Traveling and need info

I will be making the trek from Columbus to Dallas, I am doing a complete circle which takes me from OH, IN, IL, MO,OK,AR,TN,KY and OH. I need info on how to transport through IL since I do not have a FOID and also what I should know going through OK, especially since part of I44 and I think I35 goes through Indian land. I know about carry in KY,TN, AR and TX and still looking at IN and MO as well. Any and all valid info would be great. I have an OH and PA permit.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Handgunlaw.us is your friend.

Basically in IL it needs to be unloaded, in a closed case with ammo separate and placed in your console, glove box, or other place.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I read that about IL but I am driving an SUV and no trunk per say. I was thinking getting a gun safe, before getting into IL stopping for fuel and putting the firearm in the gun safe which would be in the very rear of my SUV under the spare tire cover.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Read what it says about console.

Last time I went through IL, the state police said the gun in a zippered case, mag beside it, in the compartment above my head in the motor home was perfectly fine.

Give them a call if you need.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Good move on the PA permit. You can also get a New Hampshire non-resident permit by mail which will add Mississippi and Alabama to your legal states. Comparatively expensive, but I travel there a couple times per year.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Here's just what you need...Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner Enjoy the trip!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I want to say IN honors OH CCL but I dont want to be responsible for any mishaps so DEF. double check that.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FPW823 View Post
    I want to say IN honors OH CCL but I dont want to be responsible for any mishaps so DEF. double check that.
    Indiana honors both the Ohio and Pennsylvania permits.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Indiana honors both the Ohio and Pennsylvania permits.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

VIP Member
    I used to live in Oklahoma, traveled I-35 and I-44 both. As long as you remain on the highway you won't have any issues.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Now that we have IL out of the way, how about the indian lands in OK that are along the interstate
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I used to live in Oklahoma, traveled I-35 and I-44 both. As long as you remain on the highway you won't have any issues.
    Looks like we were posting at the same time. I guess the question begs, what if I have to stop for gas or if nature calls?
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I lived in IL most of my life and have a FOID card. Believe me, if you get stopped in IL and the firearm is within your reach the odds are you are going to jail on a weapons charge, regardless of whether it is unloaded. Since you are driving an SUV, put in the back, and if there is a compartment there (spare tire?) put it in there. Here is a brochure from the IL State Police on the issue:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Note the language about "not immediatly accessible"
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I lived in IL most of my life and have a FOID card. Believe me, if you get stopped in IL and the firearm is within your reach the odds are you are going to jail on a weapons charge, regardless of whether it is unloaded. Since you are driving an SUV, put in the back, and if there is a compartment there (spare tire?) put it in there. Here is a brochure from the IL State Police on the issue:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Note the language about "not immediatly accessible"
    "Not immediately accessable" is listed as a recommendation, not a requirement. Of more concern to me is this part:

"HOW DO I TRANSPORT A FIREARM THROUGH AN ILLINOIS COMMUNITY WITH AN ORDINANCE THAT PROHIBITS FIREARMS OR HANDGUNS?
    Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm
    ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances."

Whenever I travel through Illinois, which is more frequently than I would like, I get fuel, coffee and bathroom breaks around Lake Station, Indiana, and stay on the interstate until I cross into Wisconsin or Iowa. Same thing coming back. I refuse to spend a dime, or an extra moment there.

I just returned from a trip to El Paso, TX and took the southern route thru Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas to Texas and back. Unless you have a specific reason for visiting Oklahoma, Indiana, etc., why in the world do you even want to get near the "peoples republic" of Illinois? If you are in Columbus, OH, go down I-71 and take the southern route to Dallas and avoid Illinois completely. Just my .02.
    MleeC likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links