How old to possess a handgun in public?

This is a discussion on How old to possess a handgun in public? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in a gun store and today I had a spirited discussion with a co-worker on how old someone has to be to be ...

Thread: How old to possess a handgun in public?

Lightbulb How old to possess a handgun in public?

I work in a gun store and today I had a spirited discussion with a co-worker on how old someone has to be to be in possession of a handgun in public in the State of Texas. The definition of public is being transported to a shooting range and back to a residence... Not carrying it around or anything of that sort, which is prohibited in Texas even for someone who is 21. Concealed is allowed, with a permit, which is only issues at 21. We are talking about the typical unloaded, in a case, being transported to a shooting range.

This is also not a discussion on what the LEOs may or may not harass someone for. Just because the police give you trouble for it, but never can actually produce a law with which to charge you with a crime, that doesn't count... We're going based on the actual law for this discussion, not the whim of any random LEO.

The premise is this... In the State of Texas, an 18 year old can legally purchased a handgun in a private sale. There is not a Federal law against this (the 21 law applies to an FFL selling a handgun). There is no State law against this. It is 100% legal for an 18 year old to buy a handgun from a private seller in our State.

The question is, once said 18 year old is the lawful owner of said handgun. What can the 18 year old actually do with it? Even though the 18 year old is the lawful owner, can he or she take the pistol to a shooting range alone?

I argue yes... Even though the police would likely harass the 18 year old if they found out, I am aware of no law against it, and any harassment would likely end with no charges. My co-worker insists that such a law exists, but has not produced one for my viewing.

What does Yahoo! Answers think?

2. Remove Ads

Check NRA ILA or USCCA websites for facts. You'll get LOTS of opinions.

I agree with you. The catch is 18 yr olds can't buy handgun ammo. As usual the law makes no sense because a 10/22 doesn't know it can't use the same ammo ment for a Mod. 17. My Mod 29 will not understand that the .44 mag I bought for it won't work in my Mod. 94 Trapper. I guess my S&W's are just stuck up prom queens and won't share. Go figure.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Technically I would assume that at 16 you can buy a hunting license,therefore at 16 yoa you can legally be in possession of a handgun with your parents permission without having an adult present
    Your also wrong about being 21 for a CHL,members of the armed forces can get a CHL at 18
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

duk,

The statutes say the a person under the age of 17 must be supervised by someone over 18 when they have a readily dischargeable firearm, even when hunting. Exceptions for farming, or self defense ect.

So, what does supervised mean? Texas hunting laws say that if they have their hunter ed course they can hunt away from the adult. So I am not sure if given permission would be enough for a 16 yr old to go around outside a hunting enviroment with a handgun, or other gun for that matter.

I don't think the laws are perfectly clear as to what age you can actually have a handgun.
    Last edited by farronwolf; April 5th, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links