Can someone who got denied for CCW and/or gun purchase, (BUT not a felon) still own

This is a discussion on Can someone who got denied for CCW and/or gun purchase, (BUT not a felon) still own within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; can that person still own guns if bought privately? Seems like a dumb question, but just curious. My brother is not a felon for sure, ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 2 Post By Bark'n

Thread: Can someone who got denied for CCW and/or gun purchase, (BUT not a felon) still own

Can someone who got denied for CCW and/or gun purchase, (BUT not a felon) still own

can that person still own guns if bought privately? Seems like a dumb question, but just curious. My brother is not a felon for sure, but he recently got denied when purchasing a gun (background check FAILED). He does not suffer from mental illness nor has he ever been a patient. Hasn't done anything bad in his life (Unless he did, but i don't know). He's filing an appeal as to "why" he got denied.

There's a good chance he will get denied for his CCW too..

2. Remove Ads

The answer to his why question will most likely answer your question too.
    Stubborn and hogdaddy like this.

Sure, it just means that they will not clear you without a fight as long as you are not a felon. Domestic violence charges are a big red flag along with almost any assault charges.
    I do believe there is some kind of form you can fill out to dispute why they are banning you

if you are a prohibited possessor under federal and or your state laws.... no

He needs to find out why he was denied.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    He needs to find out why he was denied.
    No doubt. There have been people who have been associated with something that wasn't even theirs and so something like this gives that person a chance to possibly get things cleared up. It might be someone used his name and/or ID for something. That is not rare, by the way these days.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    People get incorrectly denied on instant background checks very often. Appeal the decision and it'll go through unless the denial was good. We have customers with valid carry permits to get incorrectly denied.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Without knowing why he was denied we have no way of giving any real advice or opinion.

Just know that a felony and/or being adjudicated as a mental patient are not the only reasons for denial.

Any misdemeanor conviction for domestic violence assault is also grounds for denial. Not just felony convictions.

If as you said is true, that he has not been in any trouble with the law, then it is most likely a clerical error, and he should be able to get that rectified by pursuing an appeal.
    Hopyard and QKShooter like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    As others have said, no real way to give an answer without knowing why he was denied. He needs to go through the appeals process and see what the reason was behind the denial.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

so he found out.. At age 15, he was convicted of juvenile felony misdemeanor or whatever you called it. Now he is 30.. He has been clean since then and still DENIED! He's gonna appeal it in front of a judge and see if he will be granted the chance to own guns.

I didn't know the background check go back that far. I thought it was anything at 18 and over that will carry on for life...

this is the first time i have ever heard of a felony misdemeanor...i always thought a felony was a felony and a misdemeanor is a misdemeanor...

however i hope he gets it all sorted out

Well there you go, he made some 'errors' earlier in life and it's still haunting him.

The laws are there for a reason.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by LongJohn6284 View Post
    i always thought a felony was a felony and a misdemeanor is a misdemeanor...
    It is.

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    Well there you go, he made some 'errors' earlier in life and it's still haunting him.

The laws are there for a reason.
    Yup. Records never really go away completely.

Juvenile records supposedly sealed when you become an adult, and stay clean? Not so much. Having a twenty year old DUI expunged from your record? Good luck.

It's all gonna be there for those with the ability and/or authorization to dig deep enough.

My dad started telling me when I was about 13 or 14, "A police record has a nasty habit of following you everywhere, and showing up at the least desired moment." He kept telling me that until I was about 18 or 19. I got pretty sick of hearing it, but I gotta give him credit... I did believe him. And it kept me out of trouble too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links