Letter to Taco Cabana

Letter to Taco Cabana

This is a discussion on Letter to Taco Cabana within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just left store 278, they were very busy and having a hard time keeping up with the crowd but they did a great job. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Letter to Taco Cabana

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Letter to Taco Cabana

I just left store 278, they were very busy and having a hard time keeping up with the crowd but they did a great job. The food was good and they had a number of people trying to keep the place clean.

As I was sitting there eating my Cabana Bowl I looked over my wifeís shoulder and there hanging on the wall I saw the standard poster about people carrying unlicensed handguns. No problem I am all for that although if someone is carrying a gun illegally they probably donít care about your sign. The problem is that right next to it was a sign that said you do not allow handguns on your property.

That sign does not meet the requirements that Texas has for you to prevent Concealed Handgun License (CHL) holders to carry their handguns into your restaurant. If you are serious about keeping law-abiding citizens from coming into your restaurant carrying their handgun here is a link to the sign you have to have http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/cr-1.pdf. The sign has to have letters at least 1 inch high and be in contrasting colors and be posted where no one can miss it.

What I donít understand is why you would want to stop law abiding citizens who have CHLs from carrying their weapons in your establishment? Are you aware that the men and women that have Texas CHLs had to take a 10 hour class on Texas State Laws, Handgun Safety, Communication and prove that they were proficient? Did you know that to get a CHL you not only have to pass a criminal background check from the State of Texas but also the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Did you know if you have not paid your child support you can not get a CHL? People that have CHLs are the best of the best citizens in our communities. Why wouldnít Taco Cabana want them as customers?

Do you really think that if a criminal or a mentally ill person that plans on either robbing your restaurant or just shooting it up will read that sign and say well I guess I canít do what I wanted to do because there is a sign? The people that will see that sign and abide by the law are not a threat to you, your employees, or your customers and in fact may be the only people that are available if a bad guy comes in your place of business to do bad things.

I would recommend that you offer free drinks with purchase for anyone that is willing to produce there CHL so the bad guys will think twice about bothering Taco Cabana Customers because your customers might be armed so they will go next door to WhattaBurger to do their mischief.

If you put up the legal 30.06 sign on your front doors I will not break the law by coming there to eat with my wife and child and my guess is that the majority of the other 250,000 Texas Concealed Handgun License Holders will go to Taco Bell as well but it is your business, we live in the greatest country in the world and you can run it your way.

GOD be with you.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Now why exactly would you want to tell them there sign isn't a legal sign and that they need to do this and such so that now when they get your letter and make the sign a legal no carry sign you cant eat there anymore if your armed?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    What Bud said in post #2.

To all out there that frets over the illegal signs that are telling us to not come in with a legal firearm,I say>>> don't worry 'bout it. If you feel that the "keep out" sign has NO merrit,grin at it as you walk by,do your buisness, and walk out.

For Gods sake,the least you can do for your fellow CCW'er is not tell the buisness what their doing wrong.-----------

Maybe the manager DID know about the sign?

A good friend of mine is a manger at a place here in Missouri. When company policy required a sign prohibiting weapons, he purposely put up a sign that was not in conformity with Missouri law (not that the sign means much in Missouri anyway). He was happy, the corporate people were happy, and we have a good chuckle out of it every time I talk to him.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Lead Moderator
    Personally I would have compalined, but not mentioned the sign being no up to legal specs. Also I would not do business in a anti gun place either.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Why arm the anti-gunners? Echo post #4...I encourage protest when they post "no guns here" signs (legally)...but if the signs are not in compliance with the letter of the law, they hold no weight...

Concealed means concealed!

Whether or not TJ should have alerted the establishment about the legallity of their sign, I think he made some excellent points that just might get the owners thinking about the differences between law abiding citizens and criminals and which he would rather have as customers.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Great letter Timmy! I really don't care if they know about the sign or not being legit or not. Any posted anti sign like that where I live tell's me there exact intentions. MOMike brought up a point about the manager making the sign not in compliance! while that's pretty funny and all it is STILL the companies policy to not allow you in there store lawfully carrying. They are just ignorant of the law's is the only reason that sign is allowed to be left like that.

The only other thing I would have written Timmy is about how the taco shop is now responsible for your safety and these things can lead to law suites (unless Texas protects them from this with there laws).

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

It's a double edged sword. I think it's good to let the corpoate weenies know that their policies are going to loose them business. If only one or two write in, who cares? But when a flood of letters come in then they will sit up and take notice and make changes.

If they're rabidly anti then alerting them to their sign will make corrections ASAP.

I still like the idea of offering a discount for anyone showing a CCW permit. I'd put up a big sign stating it. Then people would ask why and I could explain that I like customers who take their defense seriously and who might even back me up in a robbery attempt. That I further want to honor such responsible people with a discount and attract more of them as it is good for business. Might even win a few converts here and there.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Why wouldnít Taco Cabana want them as customers?
    The management/owners of that company have not thought the matter through. The end result is one thing: a less-secure environment where the path has been cleared for criminals, turning into a "target rich" environment for those criminals ... target-rich = the employees and their cash/stuff. By any objective standard: dumb.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I say Timmy done good.

Aside from simply bringing the issue to the manager's attention you did so in a polite and professional manner. You make the impression that CHL holders are law abiding citizens ... so law abiding in fact that you are willing to help the restaurant out if they want to ban legal carry there by showing them the right sign.

As an "ambassador of gun owners" the letter was spot on. If they want to persist in their anti-gun and anti-CCW bigotry than they will fix their sign and y'all can boycott them.

But I'd say the letter could make a good enough impression on the management to get them to completely rethink the whole "no CCW" sign thing.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Also ref the "show 'em your license and get a free whatever(?)"

My permit is(was)obtained to carry a weapon concealed. My permit to do so,and the info that it has on it, is guarded as closely as my drivers license. These permits have the info that the idenity thieves need to possibly drain your bank acct's. The permits(Fla.'s anyway) also have the info on them so the BG's can drive right up to the front door of your house. Hell,they know at least one weapon will (could) be there.

When it comes to whippin' out my CWP to "little Buffie" or the "hey dude" that is my waiter/waitress........it ain't gonna happen.

For those of you that feel that they need a free drink,I say,go for it. I will NEVER feel the need to hafta prove to someone NOT in authority,that I am one of the GG's.

The fact that I have, and carry, a concealed weapon is a very private thing to me. So is the license that allows me to do that. -------

Thanks, Timmy, for most folks wouldn't make the effort of writing! So, you can feel free to ignore what you wish in the critiques of your letter...heh.

As I recall, your state's signs have some "teeth" to them in terms of penalty. Here in MN, the worst trouble you can get into is a $25 ticket, and then only if you don't leave when verbally told to do so. As you can imagine, with that as the law, we pretty much "conceal and ignore" when it comes to postings.

A point I have used in letters to posted venues is to tweak the situation by pointing out their potential exposure to liability. I tell them that by posting the sign they have implied that they will protect me...so, by disarming me at the door they are taking over complete responsibility for my safety. Given that, should I or my family be harmed, I may have legal recourse! Notice I say "may", keeping it a bit vague, yet enough to suggest that they may be exposing themselves to great financial risk by posting.

I also play the "bad guy" card a bit harder. Here I state that a few bad guys out to make fast money, when making a choice of who to rob, will choose to rob the store with the unarmed customers, not the unposted restaurant next door. Again, letting them know that they have upped their exposure to risk, here the risk of an armed robbery.

I find that the part about us being good folks, free of felonies, etc. is pretty meaningless. What merchants care about is what we have in our wallets, not our rapsheets. So, while I mention it, it's a lesser point that I spend few words developing.

Anyway, I hope my ideas help--keep writing those letters!
    Last edited by JimmyC4; September 2nd, 2006 at 02:41 PM.

Guys, Just what constitutes a legal sign ? I have always wanted to know this. Our local tobacco store have decided to place a sign in the widow and it looks so wrong.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    Guys, Just what constitutes a legal sign ? I have always wanted to know this. Our local tobacco store have decided to place a sign in the widow and it looks so wrong.
    Depends on where you live (What State?) and what that States law/statutes say about what the sign must say, how large, where placed, etc. So what I'm saying is the State decides what constitutes a legal sign in there eyes.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links