Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry?

This is a discussion on Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ericb327 I agree, this question should have never made it to a post. Your responsibility to know the law BEFORE you get ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I agree, this question should have never made it to a post. Your responsibility to know the law BEFORE you get the permit. You should expect responses like this, will you ask us what the use of deadly force laws are for your state or will you get that information first hand.
    Nope. Found out just about everything else I needed to know, including deadly force laws. I just thought this was a knowledge community and might know the answer to this question.

Good information everyone. I an planning on just getting a credit card sized sleeve and put it in there. Thanks for the advice.

2. Remove Ads

Here in Kansas our permit is almost identical to our drivers license, early on you could have a combo license but thankfully they made them seperate. We have to have our permit with us when carrying concealed.

My philosophy about leaving the house was always carry identification, access (car/house keys), and protection (at the time all I could legally carry was my trusty Spyderco). I carry my permit hidden in my wallet which also has my DL. I make sure I always have my keys (house and all 3 cars on one ring), my wallet, my trusty Spyderco, and now my EDC and a Fenix LD10 when leaving the house. I do take along the permit even if I'm not carrying which is rare but it's already in my wallet and I'm not going to take it out to put it somewhere where I may forget where it put it.

So some states have a paper permit that is a PITA to carry, that sucks.

On a side note, if you have multiple cars and multiple drivers all of the drivers should carry keys to the other vehicles. I see so many people just carry a key to the car they are driving. If you lock yourself out or lose them it is so much easier and cheaper to get a hold of your spouse or kids to unlock you than getting a locksmith or dealer involved.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

That's a "yes" in FL...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Legally we have to in WI. It sits, ironically, right next to my health insurance card.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

lucky for Texas ours looks just like a drivers licenses

License to carry means just that. Here in WA, we get issued a laminated license that is too big for the wallet... We must carry anyway.

FWIW, the comments have been meant to ensure you do carry. I would highly suggest you make copies of the PPW and stick them in each vehicle, gun box, ammo box and everywhere you may have your gun when not on you. This way, you may be able to talk your way out of a ticket for not having that hunk of paper on you when you do carry.

I'd also call the issuing authority and ask if they have wallet size documents that might replace the large PPW. Who knows, maybe they do have it and did not send it to you by accident? If they don't, then become a beacon and push that on them. Make it a priority, put a letter to the editor in the local paper, make it known that it is ridiculous that one has to carry a large piece of paper every where you go...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    You all need to lobby your state law makers to change the format of your permit to the same size as your drivers license. That's the way Tennessee does it and it works great.

Of course, it would be nice if ALL states followed the lead of VT, AZ, and AK!

That is how Michigan is as well.
    I find it rediculous that the state requires you to have it with you, and then issues an 8.5x11 piece of paper.
    Can you immagine what the response would be if a state issued all their DL like that?.
    Seems like its a slap in the cheek to someone responsible enough to train, and get licensed to carry a firearm.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'd still take an 8.5x11 piece of paper over living in Jersey, California or Illinois.

By law, yes, I do carry it. But I think its weird that its paper. Ours is plastic and the same size as our DL.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

Senior Moderator
    In Florida, we are required to have the permit if we are carrying, but failure to do so is a civil infraction with a $25.00 fine.

Of course, you could end up being arrested and your gun confiscated until you produce the license, so it's not a good idea to leave home without it...
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member
    If you don't have your CHL with you when carrying in Oregon, you are considered to be exactly as if you didn't have a permit. No permit and the SHTF. Never leave home without it.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    You all need to lobby your state law makers to change the format of your permit to the same size as your drivers license. That's the way Tennessee does it and it works great.

Of course, it would be nice if ALL states followed the lead of VT, AZ, and AK!
    +1 -- Thankfully, Minnesota has followed this common sense approach.

I always double check my pocket to make sure I have my card holder, & return home promptly if I discover that I've left it behind. I really don't want to try & explain my way out of a very awkward situation with a LEO.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Mine is small and I carry it behind my driver's license always. Reciprocity is why we maintain our licenses.

Seems kinda odd that the state issuing the permit wouldn't size the thing accordingly.. Mine is the size of my driver license/credit card.

As to having it on you when carrying. I'd say, I sure hope you do because, I equally hope that you carry your firearm as often as possible when legally permitted to do so. You can never be too careful these days.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Mine is the size of my driver license/credit card.
    Oregon's is the size of our driver's license. Although the CHL is a little bit heavier/thicker than the DL it is still the same W x L dimensions.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links